using a laptop for high end voice recording

bjork

2[H]4U
hey all,

a friend of mine does voice work (commercial voiceovers etc), and also helps other people get into that business. he wants to get something that he can take with him to clients and do some recording, then bring it back to his lab and clean it up in soundforge or whatever... he doesn't know a lot about computers, so he asked me for a recommendation...

at first i was like "well, onboard sound sucks... there's no way you're going to be able to do really nice recording using a laptop..."

but then it occurred to me that creative makes those extigy things that are like external USB soundcards...

would one of these be the way to go? or should i just tell him to put the laptop money towards building a tight full system at his house, and make the clients come out to see him there?

any recommendations?

aren't there professional recorders that he could take w/ him and then upload to his computer later?

anyhow to answer your question my roommate has an extigy which he uses w/ his laptop so that would work, i imagine

aren't there professional recorders that he could take w/ him and then upload to his computer later?

hmmm... does anyone else know of somehting like this? like a firewire porta-recorder?

those links don't work for me...

"This page is not available in your language, sorry."

what was the item you were trying to link to (so i can find it on my own)?

On the left navigation bar, click Pro Products, then Mobile Interfaces, then choose FireWire 410 or Firewire Audiophile.

Yeah, good luck with that. M-Audio will treat you well, I think.

Back