User replaceable components on the 2011 Mac Mini

cvgd

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know if the ram and hard drive are user replaceable on the mini?

Does anyone know if the ram and hard drive are user replaceable on the mini?

Well.... I think you really mean if it will be easy or not. With the right tools, anything is fully disassemble-able. If you're really paranoid, you can wait for ifixit to do a full breakdown, but I would go ahead and assume that HD's and Ram should be easy enough.

memory is easily swapped out. hard drives take a bit more work to get in and out. youtube it for step by step instructions.

Hard drives are standard..just takes some work to get to them. RAM is easy.

Are the 2.5" HDDs used in it standard? Or is it like the iMac, where there's a custom power connector and it won't boot if you try to use a non-Apple HDD?

Are the 2.5" HDDs used in it standard? Or is it like the iMac, where there's a custom power connector and it won't boot if you try to use a non-Apple HDD?

This is what I'm wondering. Where, it's possible to swap HDDs in the current iMac, but it's no longer trivial. The other side, about which I'm wondering, is that the server version of the new Mac Mini has two HDDs standard; the lower end versions don't even have the option. Will it be possible to add an extra one, are they simply not adding a mounting for a second (rectifiable), or are they eliminating the connections one would use to add a second hard drive.

Mostly I guess I'm waiting for someone to do a teardown. Hrm.

Thanks, PAo_ReVoLT, for the link. I didn't see that yesterday when I was looking for this info.

There are actually 2 user-accessible sodimms under there.

So, from the teardowns, it looks like the lower end Mac Minis have space for a second hard drive, and the motherboards can handle a second drive. However, while it looks like a normal SATA connection on the HDD, the cable has to convert to a really weird connection for the motherboard side, and has to be tiny to fit the space. So... Hrm.

Hi - I just picked up one of these Mac Mini's as my new HTPC Replacement. I picked up the 2.5 i5 w/ Radeon 6330.

The RAM as everybody mentioned is easy and is displayed on the Apple Site. I purchased an 8GB pair of Corsair for $45 versus the hundreds Apple wanted.

The Hard Drive takes a little bit more work, but does not require special tools besides two sizes of torx screw drivers. Note this is easier than the 2010 model as that had hard drive thermal sensors.

I was able to take the drive out easily but trying to put a new Crucial M4 back in was tougher without slightly moving the motherboard. After taking out 3-4 more additional screws allowed me to move the motherboard slightly to fit the drive back into its spot. I did a re-install from the Internet yesterday of Lion and will finish everything today.

Here is a post I used to help me with it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194678

Also - techrepublic and ifixit has good teardown pictures.

As some also mentioned, it is a proprietary cable that iFixit is looking for. I won't be able to add a second drive until someone can find this cable.

Back