Used or discounted i5/i7?

pavel

Gawd
It's me, again. I cannot decide between Intel and Ryzen.

But, I am interested in Hackintosh so the Intel idea remains. I also just am interested in the i9 cpu as a future upgrade, too. I know it will be expensive when released and for some time. But, it will rival the 2700X in terms of cores and threads.

But, I would probably buy a used CL cpu or a cheaper retail one - for e.g., I have seen the i5-8600K used for $300 CAD. IS that a good deal? The i5-8400 WAS $219 Canadian (CAD) at one point but is now $239 or more (out of stock, currently, at the lower price). I don't know if it's going back to $240 but is available at $246.

This isn't as good a deal as the i5-2600, right? It's $229 here.

I might get into gaming, I dunno. I thought, if I do, either Intel or AMD would be sufficient. But, the Intel parts seem to offer more options, albeit, at a higher price.

The i9 can go in a Z370 mobo. The Z370 mobo offers TWO M.2 slots at PCIe 3.0 x 4. That's a bonus? AMD/Ryzen doesn't have that. A few boards offer PCIe 3.0 x 4 but not many.

I am not sure about the Intel 219 vs (AMD) 211 Ethernet but there's a difference there, too. Minor differences aside, I am wondering about these prices for the processors. I like at least 6 cores so I thought go for a cheap 6-core chip and call it a day? Then, use the system as long as possible and upgrade to an i9 when everyone is moving on to whatever the next gen becomes. I think that is the main/only (?) reasoning I would use if I choose Intel Coffee Lake over Ryzen. But, is it sound? Does it make sense?

I guess gaming is better, overall or with certain games, too...if I ever go that route. I hear GTX 1060 and 1070s are going down in price (eventually), too? These all work well in Hackintosh machines (if I ever want to try those out).

I primarily use Linux and will use Windows 10, too.

Help? Recommend something, pls? :)

Back