USB Audio

Strange question coming up... I am thinking of buying a server board that has no audio to build an ESX server. So thinking of re-using a USB Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Go! Pro for when I need audio.

I would like to use an internal header to keep the USB audio stick permanently connected and then hook the audio to the case audio jacks.

Anyone have an idea if something like this is possible ?

Keep the X-Fi USB connection plugged into a motherboard USB connector and dont unplug it.
Is there something you dont like about this?

sure that bits worked out. next bit is to connect the headphone / mic from the SB Go to the respective case jacks...

i want to be able to plug in headphones (don't use speakers) to the case directly.

There isnt one you can buy.
You can make your own in a number of ways.

1) buy a multi pin block that will fit on the end of the internal wiring already attached to the cases 3.5mm jack output and wire this to a 3.5mm stereo male connector to plug into your USB X-Fi.

2) cut the multi pin connection off the end of the wire inside the case and solder a 3.5mm male jack connector on.

3) The simplest: Take a standard short 3.5mm stereo extension lead, plug it into the X-Fi and have the other end protrude from the PCs case somewhere accessible.

An easier way if you havent already bought the case (or if your case has this).
Some cases have USB ports on top that plug onto the motherboards internal USB headers, this would be ideal to plug the X-Fi into so that you have direct access to the jack sockets.

sure that bits worked out. next bit is to connect the headphone / mic from the SB Go to the respective case jacks...

i want to be able to plug in headphones (don't use speakers) to the case directly.
There isnt one you can buy.
Actually there is, just very difficult to find.;)

OP, I believe this is what you are looking for:
http://www.frontx.com/store/order_ab.html

Please keep in mind: This site is very old (I remember viewing it over 10 years ago), and the pinouts more than likely correspond to the older AC 97 spec, not the new HD AUDIO spec. If that cable on your case corresponds to the newer HD AUDIO pinout you will still have some re-wiring to do, but at least you would have the male pins needed to make the mod simple (See pre-crimped wires I pointed out below).

You need 1 of these:
HEADPHONE & MIC 1' - 1/8" to 2x5 M
cpx517p2.gif

-OR-

1 each of these:
HEADPHONE CABLE 1' - 1/8" to 1x3 M
cpx510p2.gif

-AND-
MICROPHONE CABLE 1' - 1/8" to 1x3 M
cpx520p2.gif

If that doesn't work, you can always buy the pre-crimped wires:
TERMIMAL CRIMPED WIRE - F to M