Upscaling 1080p to 4k

Epos7

Gawd
I have Dell P2715Q 4K monitor, mostly for productivity work, especially photography. The image looks great, and for desktop applications the extra pixels are very welcome.

Being that my computer is an ITX build, and that I don't want to shell out a small fortune for GFX cards, I'm running a modest GTX 960. I bought it not expecting to run games at 4K, thinking I will upgrade in a year or so once there are single card solutions that can reliably render games at 4K at 40-60fps.

I did play Witcher 3 at 4k for a few minutes, and it looked spectacular, but was probably running around 5fps :D

Until I can upgrade video cards a year or so down the road, I'm wondering what the best approach is to handle gaming on my 4K monitor. 1080p with pixel doubling seems like it would offer the best picture/performance, but I don't believe my monitor natively supports pixel doubling. Are there applications that can do this in the background?

Just curious what approach other 4K owners without the GFX card horsepower have taken to gaming. My GTX 960 can probably run some games at 1440p, but the scaling issues would be problematic.

Looks like GeDoSaTo is an option for DX9 games, and may add DX11 support in the future. It's made for downscaling, but can handle upscaling as well.

Was playing Witcher 3 at 1080p on my 4K monitor last night, and it doesn't look great :(

Back