UPS Recommendation

I'm looking for a network capable UPS that works with Linux and Windows. I will have between 2 and 4 power hungry servers connected. I would like a run time of 20 minutes or more at 50% load. I need a tower UPS, not rack mount.

This is not for a business, so I have a certain tolerance for trying new things.

An obvious choice is an APC 2200 or whatever is new. That solution, with a network card, approaches $1200. Haven't checked Used, yet.

I'm trying to avoid having multiple consumer UPSes.Any suggestions?

You unlikely need something as large as a 2200VA UPS. Do you even have 20A outlets to support it? You won't find much that is cheap and network managed. I would recommend getting something smaller and then getting a battery pack if you need more than 20 minute run time at say 1000w. A Liebert GXT2 can be had for a reasonable price on eBay and then all you need to do is grab one of the battery packs for it if it doesn't have the run time that you desire.

I do. I actually have an APC 2200VA UPS from 2 years ago and it lasts 15 minutes, barely. I'm at 60% load. I have 6 server type boxes connected and am looking to divide up the load. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with appropriate outlet for the existing UPS and am going to run another for the 2nd UPS - its my basement, after all. :) I'm lucky that power here is pretty cheap here... and the 93% efficient furnace and high efficiency AC help a lot.

I've considered expandable UPSes, but the XL models cost a lot more even without an extra battery. Fortunately, I found a used SU2200NET with new batteries from a reputable vendor and the network card was cheap on eBay.

Last edited:
I've considered expandable UPSes, but the XL models cost a lot more even without an extra battery.

You can usually get 1500VA XL or less for around $200 at eBay. Recirtified with new batteries.

Last edited:
Back