UPS for a server running Dual Xeon and 4 Raptors?

travanx

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put together a server for the office that is running dual xeons with 4 74GB raptors in RAID5 and an 8x DVD burner. The case and motherboard are Supermicro, and I think the PS is 400watts. I am trying to get a UPS that will match well with this system. Any suggestions? Reasonably priced as well. Currently each p4 system has an APC BACK-UPS 650, which look like they run under $200 on pricewatch. So I assume $300 price range is good.

I have a 800VA (around 500 watts) I THINK that would be perfect for you. Its a rackmount model that has barly been used.

Item 8)
MGE Pulsar Evolution Rackmount UPS 800va .
http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/1ph/evolut/
Its the rackmount model.
Asking $260 shipped.

Its managable with serial and USB and the whole 9 yards. This is a production UPS and its only 1U !!

Let me know if your interested.

What it boils down to is how long do you want your machine to run in case of a failure. Running for 5 minutes for it to do a clean shutdown will require much less than running for a 2 hour blackout...

Your best buy would be a Belkin 1200VA. I've seen several reviews on them and they seem to do better than even the APC counterparts. They are also cheaper. You can get a Belkin 1200VA for $100 at several places. Belkin usually runs their 50% off sale every now and then too.

I use Belkin KVM's, UPS's, and Power Strips and they are nothing but high quality products.

Probably 5 minutes to do a clean shutdown is all we need. Without power all of our work stops, so no need to work on the server.

Originally posted by travanx
Probably 5 minutes to do a clean shutdown is all we need. Without power all of our work stops, so no need to work on the server.

You'll get more then just 5 minutes on a Belkin 1200VA, even with that hog of a system you got there. I would say you'll probably get 15-20 minutes maybe.

5 minutes - yeah right - Murphy will guarantee you will be 1 minute further away from your system then the time your UPS will keep it up.

For a server - get a UPS with a monitoring program that will run a shutdown script on your system - via a serial or USB connection to the server - especially since I can just about guarantee you don't have a battery backed up cache on your RAID controller.

You want at least 15 minutes to make sure you have a clean shutdown. A hung program can holdup a shutdown for more than 5 minutes easy.

Back