upgrading woes, how to run 3 dimms at pc3200?

Liam

Gawd
Okay, this is my delima:
I currently have a 2x256 pc 3200 corsair dual channel kit in my NF7-S system. Now, i want to upgrade to 1 gig without throwing out my current RAM. Problem is, according to the NF7-S manual the mobo will take 2 dimms @ ddr400 but with 3 dimms only at @ ddr333?
Is this true? Is it likely that i can get it to run DDR400 with three dimms?
Thanks guys

Much likely to be true, already saw that on SEVERAL amd chipset (mostly VIA) but even nForce2... Life is hard huh :p

It works fine... had 2x256 1x512 before I bought another 512 stick and it ran in dual channel at 400mhz.

If you run 3 sticks on an Intel chipset, then you're still not gonna be able to run it in dual channel. But it would still run them all at full speed.

so if i had 2 sticks of 256mb on one side. and on the other side i had 1 stick of 512mb - 1gb it wouldnt work like dual channel?

mc_P said:
so if i had 2 sticks of 256mb on one side. and on the other side i had 1 stick of 512mb - 1gb it wouldnt work like dual channel?

Well I'm not too familiar with Intel boards but I believe the two different colors on the memory slots distinct the channels and not the sides (every board varies though). I would believe that if you had 2x256mb in one channel, and a single stick of 512mb in the other channel that it SHOULD run dual channel (thats how it works with AMD boards but with only 3 slots (excluding some gigabyte boards which have 4)). Someone with more experience with Intel boards may want to comment on that though.

mc_P said:

as long as you have the same amount of ram per channel in the nforce2 boards it will run dual channel

ex.
channel 1: Dim1 + Dim2
256MB + 256MB

Channel 2: Dim3
512MB

that would be dual channel

now, intel boards are a totally different story iirc, don't know much about those.

Back