Upgrading NIC on older computer?

Jsalpha2

Limp Gawd
I have a 10/100 card that is working. Will I notice a difference if I replace it with a 10/100/1000 card? The new card is PCI-Express 1, (TP-LINK TG-3468) while the old card is PCI . The motherboard has both available. The computer is a HP-Compaq I-3 6200 Pro with the on-board ethernet port that is not working. Internet is Time-Warner cable, not the slowest or fastest.available. Thanks

The NIC is only one element. If you're just talking to your internet router then you probably won't see any difference. If you have multiple devices at home and the other devices are gigabit-capable and you are using gigabit-capable cable and your router is gigabit-capable, you'll notice a significant increase in speed when transferring files and streaming, but no increase in internet speed.

Thanks Nothing fancy here. Just cable modem to computer.
zzXsWnY.jpg

A 10/100 NIC is capable of 100mbps. You have an internet connection that is less than 30mbps, so you are fine with the card you have now if you are only concerned with internet speeds.

A new NIC won't increase your internet speeds. It will increase your intranet speeds, if you transfer a lot to backups or between computers or whatever.

Nothing like hosting an image of your public IP to an unmoderated image hosting service and posting it to a forum board.

I have a 10/100 card that is working. Will I notice a difference if I replace it with a 10/100/1000 card? The new card is PCI-Express 1, (TP-LINK TG-3468) while the old card is PCI . The motherboard has both available. The computer is a HP-Compaq I-3 6200 Pro with the on-board ethernet port that is not working. Internet is Time-Warner cable, not the slowest or fastest.available. Thanks

No, you will not notice a difference.

Back