Upgrading memory in the dell 8400?

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so due to battlefield 2 I think its getting time to upgrade to 2 gigs of memory.. As it is i've got 1 gig of ddr2 533mhz memory...

can I just throw another gig in here and expect it to work? The reason Im asking this is because I know a lot of people mention how the upgradability on dells are horrible.. wasn't sure where this came into play...

Im sure the timing on the memory that came with the computer isn't anything to brag about, so is it worth getting 1 gig of low latency memory while having the generic slow dell memory as well? How would that come into play in battlefield 2 when it needs 1.2 gigs of memory?

Throwing in memory with low timings would be pointless because you'd have to run the memory at the same timings as the stuff the Dell came with.

You can probably just throw in 1 GB more of RAM and it'll work (barring some strange memory incompatibility) - get some crucial.

The memory that came in 8400's that I've seen was Samsung brand. Look on eBay for another gig of what's already in your computer. I don't think there's anything to be gained from using low latency memory in a Dell motherboard.

I would concur with what the others have said. I just ordered another gig (2x512mb) from crucial for my XPS gen 4. Should arrive in a day or two. Just check and make sure your current gig is in the form of 2 512 sticks in 2 of the slots and order your second gig in the form of another 2 512 sticks. If you order another gig in the form of 1 1024mb stick then your memory wont run dual channel AFAIK

Back