Upgrading from Dell 2209WA 22" monitors. (previously in tri setup)

pr1m3

Limp Gawd
Hey everybody

I was previously running three Dell 2209WA Monitors in a Tri setup. I no longer enjoy this kind of setup any longer. I found myself using 1 display for gaming instead of the three. I'm not a huge FPS player any longer and it seems that kind of setup really only benefits FPS games. Skyrim was about impossible to get setup / modded to take advantage of this. I have already sold of two of these monitors and currently only have the one. These are 22"s monitors and were fairly well liked back upon their release for their input lag, e-IPS, and the price for what they were at their time.

I don't really play as much FPS games as I used to as well. The occasional L4D:2 or TF2, that's about it. I'm not interested in BF or CoD games. I primary play Adventure games, RPGs, RTS games, and various Indie games. So I'm unsure if exactly how much input lag will effect me. My 2209WAs are considered to have good input lag. So I would hate to notice a difference. Then yet again, with my new gaming habits unsure if its needed. The only real competitive game I'll be playing is Company of Heroes: 2. (Maybe Mass Effect 3 Co-op MP)

I would like to jump up to the 27" monitor or 32" TV range. From what I'm reading, I'm not sure if the 1440p route is really for me. I'm seeing that a TN with 120hz might be more of a fit. But I do like good colors, as I watch Anime/Netflix on my PC sometimes.

What does everyone here at [H] think? A 27" 120hz TN? A 1440p IPS? Or some
middle ground with something like a 32" TV. I do not want a 24", fyi. The 1440ps seem really enticing but the prospect of bad input lag and some carrying the higher price tag, wards me off some. The catleaps look like a good choice but unsure about those as well. I'm sorta a monitor noob, one reason I'm posting this thread. I have done some research but would appreciate the help.

Oh, almost forgot. I have a i5 2500k running at 4.5. Two GTX 670s unlocked to 680s in SLi. And currently 8GB of ram but will be going to 16GB shortly.

Any and all input is appreciated it. If you know of a monitor that you think I should consider, please do tell. :) :)

Pr1m3

You have the GPU and CPU power to go 1440p so it's not a question of framerate - a 1440p monitor is about 3.7 megapixels while your current rig is 5.3 megapixels so it may actually run a bit faster.

Have you checked out the Overlord 27" monitors?

I wouldn't go to a TN if you are used to IPS. I myself went from 2x2209WA to a super widescreen 21:9 Dell u2913wm(though I still use the 2 2209's in portrait), it's 2560x1080 so a bit less taxing than 1440p . Most games I have tried work fine with no additional tweaks/mod required. Skyrim though takes a little extra to get working properly, INI file edit to get the game at the proper resolution and requires the program "flawless widescreen" running to fix the cut-off UI. AC3 is the only game I've tried that won't do 21:9, it can only do 16:9 1080p with black bars on the side. It's nice to have the additional peripheral in games without having to go to a full 3 screen setup.

Thanks for the responses !

I've looked at the Dell u2913wm, can't make my mind up on it. Just afraid how the native res would be with gaming.

I have not looked at the Overlord 27"s, I will look into them thanks. I've been reading a bunch of mixed information out there on 1440p, so wasn't sure about the framerate.

I also owned 3x2209wa's and used them in Eyefinity. I sold them about 1.5 years ago and bought a Korean 27" lcd (brand: Crossover). It was glossy and very nice.

More recently (~2 months), I purchased a Qnix QX2710. It uses the Samsung PLS display and runs 2560x1440.

It is a very popular model recently because many have been successfully overclocking them to 96 hz or 120hz if you're really lucky.

I got really lucky and it's running at 120hz. I spent $317 on it and sold my Crossover for $300.
The stands are shit and there is the potential to get backlight bleed. There's no manufacturer warranty but you can buy a Squaretrade 3 year warranty for $50.

I'm VERY happy with my new matte 27" Qnix. I do not miss my 2209wa's at all.

Read up on the LCDs here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star/0_100

Thanks J.

I'll look into the Qnix QX2710. I'm reading the ASUS PB278Q has low input lag for a 1440p as well.

I'm seeing conflicting information here on [H]. Some people say two GTX 680s will lag in 1440p and some say they're perfectly fine.

The Overlord Tempest X270OC_AG is looking the most promising to me currently. Grh, they have no PayPal support though lol. Need to transfer some money over to my bank account then... >=| lol. Gives me some time I guess to do some more research to see if this is what I want. I've heard too many mixed things about the ASUS PB278Q. And I just can't bring myself to order off eBay, even if I use a third party for a warranty. If it didn't bother me, I'd consider the Qnix more.

Oh nice, thanks.

Whom is a good vendor selling this on Amazon. I see BobShop and Buycheck ship from the US.

your guess is as good as mine. I didn't buy from amazon, so you'll just have to go off the seller's amazon ratings. I don't have a problem buying off ebay shipped from south korea.

I guess I'll consider eBay then. J, do you recommend the Matte or Glossy. I guess the Matte is just a light gloss. I've never been a big fan of Glossy, my room is dark with my curtains. So I guess it wouldn't be a huge issue.

EDIT: Also, is it worth the extra money to get one of the Pixel perfect guaranteed?

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth it to pay extra for the pixel perfect. Most people are getting perfect screens. That said, when I bought my korean 27" Crossover brand in spring 2012, it had one stuck green pixel and it is noticeable. I tried different methods for fixing it and they didn't work.

Matte or glossy is all pure personal preference. When I swapped out my 2209wa's, I bought the glossy. It was a huge change and it took a long time to get used to it. I always noticed the reflections, even a year later.
The AG coating on the Qnix matte isn't nearly as "heavy" as the AG coating on the 2209wa's. After having owned a glossy for a year, I'm very happy I chose matte this time. My setup is in my basement with the TV on the opposite wall and there were reflections.

I really appreciate the feedback. I'm looking at accessorieswhole off eBay. They seem to have pretty good ratings and free shipping. If not, this other seller on Amazon out of CA, seems to have good feedback as well.

Guess I need to research into the Squaretrade warranty's, as I'm sure they're worth it. Hopefully won't need it, but would be nice to have it.

I bought mine from hulustar for $317.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-QNIX-QX2...2541?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e785bf9dd

Though green-sum is also a very good seller. I've had a few friends purchase the Achieva Shimian 27" LCDs from them last year. They have some conflicting information for their two Qnix matte listings:
$309
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-QNIX-QX...2582?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c33269be6

This one is listed at $289, but the item details are suspicious; it looks like it he made a mistake in the listing because the details say it's a Yamakasi and 2560x1160 and 30" screen size. You could order it, but if he ships a Yamakasi, you'd have a hassle of returning.

I would recommend either the $309 one from green-sum that has the correct item details, or buy from hulustar. Hulustar offers a "special event" where they guarantee 0-2 defect pixels (so they check them for major problems).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Placed an order from eBay seller green-sum QNIX QX2710 LED EvolutionⅡ 27" Matte version. They

I will post pictures when I get it and give my impressions switching from the 2209WA monitors. I'm keeping the one I didn't sell to put in portrait mode next to this one. (or if I build a cheap rig for my girlfriend to play games like Minecraft with me, lol). Now the only thing I need to decide is which stand I want to buy for it off MonoPrice. I heavily considered a monitor from MonoPrice but was seeing comments online about having a higher chance of back light bleeding.

Cheers! Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Hope my "inferior" Nvidia cards can produce good colors.... xP (not that I don't like ATI as a brand)

The description sez dual dvi-i not dvi-d; my card has dual dvi-i; which card has dvi-d (7950 ?)

QNIX QX2710 - I clicked on the ebay link above which gave a description of what input the monitor supported. I have a 100352-3L - which from the description has 1xsingle link dvi-d and 1 x dual link dvi-i
-
The description for the qnix sez is requires dual dvi-d and explictly state it does not work with dual link dvi-i.

I checked on a search off Google. Your 7950 supports DVI-D, long as you have the DVI-D cable.

I'll show pictures and give my take on the monitor when it arrives. Its DHL, so I doubt they make their time frame by Friday like it says. ='(

I shall await for your pictures and comments and go form there ! thanks !

I checked on a search off Google. Your 7950 supports DVI-D, long as you have the DVI-D cable.

I'll show pictures and give my take on the monitor when it arrives. Its DHL, so I doubt they make their time frame by Friday like it says. ='(

Got in today. SUPER FAST SHIPPING. Left Korea on Monday and arrived today. I've had horrible experience with DHL in the past. Was very pleasantly surprised. No dead pixels and barely any blacklight bleeding at all. Pulling up the forum posts about how people have configured it. Won't attempt to OC until next week when I have more time. Since my work week is Thur-Sun. Will play a few games and blu ray tonight and post my first impressions. Will take a couple pics as well. Very happy so far.

When commenting on the monitor can you compare to the 2209wa ? To be honest I never thought my 2209wa was that great (saturation always seems a bit weak). I like the 23inch U2311H saturation/blacks a little better though I hate the dimensions (prefer 16:10)

Back