Upgrading from a Logitech Z-340, next best upgrade for less then $100?

evt

Limp Gawd
Don't know that much about audio, other then plugging speakers into the jack and using it, so be gentle! The Z-340 that I have is beginning to have problems and I am in a mood for upgrading my current audio setup if the sound quality is vastly improved. I play a mix of music and games, but I am not that picky when it comes to subtle audio differences.

Reading from the 'M-Audio AV40 vs. Dayton B652 + DTA-100a' thread, I am somewhat leaning towards the Dayton + amp setup. I would like to keep my audio setup towards 2.1, but I can live at 2.0 for a while, since I can add a sub-woofer down the road. The additional benefit would be longevity in a long run, so if something breaks, I wouldn't have to replace the whole damn thing to get it up and running.

The only matter is that these are bookshelf speakers that is meant to be placed a good few feet away for the best experience, and not the computer speakers that sit on the desk. The current placement of my speakers is approximately 2 feet away from me and are slightly blocked behind my LCD monitors.

I have googled for the past hour for opinions about having bookshelf speakers on the desk and within close proximity, but I haven't arrived at a clear answer if that is recommended or not. (either that or I suck at googling)

TL;DR:
Would it be worthwhile to sit these bookshelf speakers within 2 feet from me and be on the desk (a.k.a, dont worry about it and buy the damn thing), or should I look more towards to actual computer speaker setups, such as the Creative T20's or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1?

I use my bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening without problems.

$100 isn't a huge amount to work with. I'd suggest picking up a used set of speakers and a used amp. If you are starved for desk space, consider on-wall speakers.

Not all bookshelf speakers lend themselves to near field listening but many many do, I wouldn't limit yourself to computer speakers over that... Even with less than optimal positioning a decent set of passives or bookshelves will sound better than something like the T20 or even the Promedia.

If you can stretch the budget a bit ($120-150) it opens up more options but even at $100 there's a few solid passive speakers + amp combos or powered alternatives for that matter (AV40, Samson 3a, Swan M10). I think you already read thru a few passives + amp alternatives, buying used opens up your choices too.

There's just a couple things you'll wanna keep in mind... If you're putting them directly on the desk you'll wanna angle them somehow, so that they're pointing at your ears and sound isn't bouncing off the desk a lot... If the speakers are rear ported (for bass) you don't want them right up against a wall either.

My Eyefinity display setup left zero room for speakers on my upper desk shelf (and there's not much room around it) so I used a couple of rigged binders to tilt the speakers for a while, eventually got some of these. A little expensive for what they are but they work really well and it's a pretty permanent solution for me even if I upgrade speakers (they're not hard plastic, more rubber-ish, so it absorbs).

You can easily make something cheaper if you're handy and have the time, or even make/get some full on stands (wasn't an option for me since they sit right under the displays). Your spacing doesn't sound untenable, you'd just wanna work around the issue of the display blocking the speakers that'd definitely be bad. If you're cramped enough that there's no way around that you're better off putting that money towards headphones.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OvrUq.png

The top configuration is what I have now, but as you can see, it somewhat ruins the multi-monitor experience.

I am guessing the proposed bottom configuration is a very bad idea?

the last pic would be alright if you tilted the speakers towards you and closer to the monitors. Another option could be to use monitor arms (rig up some vesa mounts) and put them above the monitors. I wouldn't worry about them being so close. Just put them out enough to get good imaging.

one of my vintage amps and my polk T15 bookshelfs would fit you budget perfectly

I got a little Pioneer SA-410 vintage amp in perfect shape for $25 and I got my T15 bookshelf speakers for $50 on sale.

These speakers sound really nice especially for $50 they are ported but ported out the front so they can sit up by a wall and in conjunction with my t-amp or with my SA-410 they sound excellent.

however you'd have to be patient in finding a sale on the speakers to get my set up for under $100

if you look around you can find some good stuff @ thrift stores ..but it is very hit and miss I also found some speakers that work really good as desktop speakers with a amp some Radioshack Minimus 77 speakers i got for $10 for the pair....but I had to then order a $5 surround kit and redo the surrounds as the original ones had disintegrated and I also found a Pioneer SX-1980 at a thrift store $15 sounds decent it isn't great but it isn't bad for $15 use it in the garage.

but with a bit of foot work you could likely kill those z340s audio quality wise for under $40 with some thriftstore shopping... but again you might well go and find nothing but crappy vcr's and horid crappy htib speakers also... or nothing... it is all about the luck with these places... if you see something grab it cause it will likely be gone if you go back.

i don't seem to have any video of the SA-410 driving the T15s but regardless here are a couple video.

here is a video of my somewhat more expensive SX-780 and RTi4s doing their thing... $100 for the receiver and $100 for the speakers about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZhp1Ouywhg&feature=autoplay&list=UURYdC7dYZSYHDI0tXkgq8Mw&playnext=1

and my SA-710 ($80~) driving the T15s (sounds similar very to the SA-410 driving them but the SA-710 has 65wpc vs 25wpc for the SA-410)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqp6C_TDFDk&list=UURYdC7dYZSYHDI0tXkgq8Mw&index=4&feature=plcp

AND WHAT THE HELL...

My $40 Sansui 350A driving a couple of logitech Z560 satellite speakers right after I got the 350A to stop losing the right channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8kdgyF_YIs&feature=autoplay&list=UURYdC7dYZSYHDI0tXkgq8Mw&playnext=1

Last edited:
The first thought that came to mind was the Logitech Z-2300 but they discontinued that. A shame since I always liked their price/performance. The replacement Logitech Z623 is a step down from the Z-2300 IMO.

The z623 may be a step down, but its in his budget. The z623 is on sale for $99.99 shipped at amazon right now. I just ordered a set, I think its the best bang for the buck if your trying to get above average desktop audio on the cheap. Anyhow, amazon doesnt keep these on sale for 100 bucks long or often, so if your interested in going this route I would check it out soon.

Back