Upgrading from a GTX 1080, Microcenter near me but overwhelmed with options

fx9

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my aging GTX 1080, at this point I suspect any card is better than this one. I play CoD Warzone 2.0 and its barely hitting 60 fps on the lowest setting even with FidelityCAS or Nvidia Image Sharpening.

I'm close to a Microcenter but the options on the shelf are overwhelming since I haven't purchased a GPU in so long. What would you recommend? I don't have a preference between team red or green. I'm looking for the most GPU I can buy in the 500-600 dollar price range. The used market is fine with me also.

I might also need to upgrade my Ryzen 1800x to something more recent but that'll be another thread.

What resolution are you playing on? That would help get the best bang for your buck.

I say get the rtx 4070 or wait until July and get the 4060 ti 16gb. I f you want to go team red. Give any of the 6800's a shot.

What fps are you looking for? If it's just 60 fps, then you could easily use some of that budget for new cpu and whatnot.

I'm looking to crank settings to High and still achieve 60 fps because my gtx 1080 still dips into the high 40s during the firefights on low settings.

Which motherboard do you have? You can grab a 3700 or 3800X for cheap these days which like mentioned can probably squeeze into the budget getting a GPU and CPU.

Its an ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard with an Ryzen 1800x, Its on the latest Bios so it can handle a 5800X3D If I threw that at it.

Its an ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard with an Ryzen 1800x, Its on the latest Bios so it can handle a 5800X3D If I threw that at it.
Someone just sold theirs for $260 shipped here BNiB which is an absolute steal.

Reactions: fx9
like this
6700xt/6750xt + 5800x3d would be pretty damn sweet. Especially if you decide you grab a higher fps display at some point.

Because the 1080 "was" a high end card, I think maybe we need to know budget? Why? Because there are plenty of options out there for 1080p gaming. But maybe you might want to look at some future proofing??

To me, if staying at FHD or FHD+, I'd go used and get a sub $200 card. But that's me. You will need to look at benchmarks, there's plenty of cheap used that isn't going to be too much better than what you have.

The 40 series really hasn't show us the great 1080p card yet. And I think that even if you go for the 4060, I think maybe it's not the best use of money, even if it seems "cheap" to you.

Best "deals" today, for future proofing, but just gaming wise, are the last gen 6xxx series cards from AMD, but that is a switch to go from team green to red.

I just switched to an rx 5700 xt ($150 shipped) and am "ok", but it doesn't have anything that competes well with NvENC. But, I didn't spend a lot. And gaming wise, it does the trick. I also didn't have anything near a 1080, so while it was a huge upgrade for me, probably about a 20% uptick for you.

I think maybe we need to know budget?
I'm looking for the most GPU I can buy in the 500-600 dollar price range. The used market is fine with me also.
Hence the suggestion on using that budget for a gpu and cpu upgrade. Nobody needs to spend anywhere near $600 on a gpu for 1080p/60

In the "hot deals" section there's a new 6700 (non xt) for $280. That would be more than great for those requirements.

Are you actually hitting 100% gpu usage? A 1080 should be able to handle that game at that resolution.

I'm 90% certain you're CPU limited, not GPU limited. The 1800x had pretty awful single core performance and I remember my 1800 bottlenecking my 1080ti.

Last edited:
Are you acting hitting 100% gpu usage? A 1080 should be able to handle that game at that resolution.

I'm 90% certain you're CPU limited, not GPU limited. The 1800x had pretty awful single core performance and I remember my 1800 bottlenecking my 1080ti.

Barely, I tried the MW2 benchmark in the game and it stated the bottleneck was at the GPU, well 68% of it was there. I am planning for a CPU upgrade as well.

Something doest seem right. 1080Ti averages like 75 FPS 1080P Ultra in that game. Have tried turning on FSR?

What's your memory speed set to currently? The B350 boards weren't the best at achieving good or even rated memory speeds and that can have a significant impact on performance. Also is your 1800X overclocked at all?

What's your memory speed set to currently? The B350 boards weren't the best at achieving good or even rated memory speeds and that can have a significant impact on performance. Also is your 1800X overclocked at all?
I think its 4 sticks of 2666mhz ram for 32gb. The 1800x isn't overclocked. I'm an occasional gamer, and I just play Warzone 2 at nights with some friends.

I should also mention the Windows box only has games installed, runs headless, and I use Sunshine and Moonlight to stream locally to my primary daily driver computer, my Linux box.

Last edited:
A 1800X essentially runs at Zen 1 max. You could push a little but not worth the effort. The O/C on it would be RAM speed and the timings. Some decent gains could be seen, but also that isn't every ones bag.

OP- Go for a 5600/5600X/5700X and with your remaining budget grab the best 6000 series GPU you can afford. They are all very good 1080p/1440p performers for the price.

AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT Graphics Card with 16GB​

$629.99

best for the buck

I'm looking to crank settings to High and still achieve 60 fps because my gtx 1080 still dips into the high 40s during the firefights on low settings.
That's mostly your CPU and not GPU.

I get the desire to want to buy a new GPU. I am struggling with that myself.

But, 1080's were amazing. Obviously I don't know when you bought it, but mine is coming up on it's 7th year anniversary. It's just wild. Obviously I'm not playing Cyberpunk in 4k at 300 FPS, but...

I just think it's worth waiting for the next series of cards. If the current gen doesn't interest you, which I completely understand and in a lot of ways agree....wait. How are you going to feel if you buy some midrange thing now, and then 3 months later you want the new hotness? If when the time comes the new line is out and you don't want to buy it, well, you'll be able to buy something like a 4070/4080 or 7900xtx for a real nice price at that point.

like this
I get the desire to want to buy a new GPU. I am struggling with that myself.

But, 1080's were amazing. Obviously I don't know when you bought it, but mine is coming up on it's 7th year anniversary. It's just wild. Obviously I'm not playing Cyberpunk in 4k at 300 FPS, but...

I just think it's worth waiting for the next series of cards. If the current gen doesn't interest you, which I completely understand and in a lot of ways agree....wait. How are you going to feel if you buy some midrange thing now, and then 3 months later you want the new hotness? If when the time comes the new line is out and you don't want to buy it, well, you'll be able to buy something like a 4070/4080 or 7900xtx for a real nice price at that point.
This is exactly my thoughts, the current gen doesn't impress me that much and the cpu upgrade just prevented a gpu upgrade as well. I've gotten better fps from going from my 1800x to the 5600x and its gonna work for now. Will see what the next gen of cards look like before I decide to upgrade.

oh I forgot I game at 1920x1200
Does your LCD support any kind of adaptive sync? If you have/get a G-Sync monitor, those times when fps hits 40 will not be noticeable. It will stay smooth.

We could better recommend something if we knew what the budget was.

Does your LCD support any kind of adaptive sync? If you have/get a G-Sync monitor, those times when fps hits 40 will not be noticeable. It will stay smooth.

We could better recommend something if we knew what the budget was.

I'm going to hold off on purchasing a new GPU since I upgraded to a 5600x, my fps has been better. I play on a 60hz monitor, I haven't thought of getting a gsync monitor or a higher refresh.

I'm looking to upgrade my aging GTX 1080, at this point I suspect any card is better than this one. I play CoD Warzone 2.0 and its barely hitting 60 fps on the lowest setting even with FidelityCAS or Nvidia Image Sharpening.

I'm close to a Microcenter but the options on the shelf are overwhelming since I haven't purchased a GPU in so long. What would you recommend? I don't have a preference between team red or green. I'm looking for the most GPU I can buy in the 500-600 dollar price range. The used market is fine with me also.

I might also need to upgrade my Ryzen 1800x to something more recent but that'll be another thread.
The last couple of COD games are actually really CPU heavy. It constantly uses AVX2 instructions. Will heat up your CPU more than many games.

like this
All depends on your budget, 500-600 you should get the 4070. If you want to do both your CPU and GPU for 600, grab a 5800x3d and get a 6700 / 50 XT. If you don't care about power consumption or DLSS, the 6950 XT is an option at 600. Overall, I'd rather have a newer card that uses less power with better software at that price, but you're losing about 20 percent raster performance for lower power consumption, RT performance, and DLSS when getting the 4070. It's the better card IMO. At 300-50 basically nothing beats the 6750 XT.

Last edited:
3080 for 450-550
3080 ti for 550+
4070 for 600
4070ti for 800-850
used 4080 for 900-1000 ish

id say go for the used 4080, its 5070 in disguise too haha, warranty still available, use for 2-3 years no problem

Another option

12700k cpu, mobo, and 16gb (8gb x2) of DDR4 @ microcenter for $350, + 25 off for "new customers" .... $325.. They also have a single stick 16gb DDR5 variant of this combo for the same price.

Might be an option you want to consider as a start... 12700k would blow away your 1800x... DDR5 offers very little performance gain on this platform, but you can upgrade later if you wanted to.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...s-v-16gb-ddr4-3200-kit,-computer-build-bundle

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer25off100rdt.aspx

Upgrade CPU / mobo, sell your 1800X / mobo. If you are still not happy with your 1080, use the CPU and GPU sale proceeds towards a video card..

Last edited:
does your board support the 5800x3d? might breath new life into your 1080. I will admit your better off with a new CPU memory combo and hang onto the 1080 one more generation

Back