Upgrading from 1950xtx to 2900xt

Ed Blown Vert

Limp Gawd
I am looking to upgrade my two 1950xtx's for two 2900xt's

I just found out I need a new PS and looking into the ANTEC TruePower Quattro 1000W.

I normally stick with the ATI brand of cards. Should I look into another brand?

Is there anything else I should worry about?

Make SURE that your CPU can handle it. My single 2900pro/xt scores almost the same as my friends CF 2900por/xt's because my CPU is clocked so much higher.

He has an FX-62@ 3.2, I have my e4300 at 3.4.

You might want to wait to nov and see how well RV670 perform before you buy 2900xt

I certainly agree there, plus the XT will probably be relabeled as pros and sold at discount to get rid of the old stock.

I certainly agree there, plus the XT will probably be relabeled as pros and sold at discount to get rid of the old stock.

Yep. I completely agree. Your X1950XTXs should be able to handle current games so I would just wait, specially when you're talking about dumping all that cash, you want to make it worth your while. Now, for PSU take a look @ SilverStone Decathlon DA850 Watt Modular PSU.

I'm running 2 x1950xtx in crossfire at the moment and I feel that this upgrade your thinking of is ill timed. I would agree with a previous post that you should at least wait until Ati/Amd releases their new card. At the moment it sounds like a large sum of money for marginal gains. Nvidia seems to have the best bang for the buck as far as performance goes at the moment.

Make SURE that your CPU can handle it. My single 2900pro/xt scores almost the same as my friends CF 2900por/xt's because my CPU is clocked so much higher.

Does the margin of difference translate into games as well? Artificial benchmark usually fares much better with better/more core CPU, not so much with real games.

I run a Q6600 so I think I am ok.

I'm running 2 x1950xtx in crossfire at the moment and I feel that this upgrade your thinking of is ill timed. I would agree with a previous post that you should at least wait until Ati/Amd releases their new card. At the moment it sounds like a large sum of money for marginal gains. Nvidia seems to have the best bang for the buck as far as performance goes at the moment.

Glad I posted, I thought these were the new cards. ;)
But I can wait till Nov. Its only a few weeks away.

If I can get into two cards for under $1k then I am good.
How good are the the card makers that use ATI chips? IE MSI, Diamond....?

I've found ATI's drivers to be atrocious, but maybe my experience is an isolated incident.

I, too, had an X1950XTX, and found my system crashing to desktop about 20% of the maps I'd play in CSS. Same goes for starting UT3 demo, though the failure rate was about 40%.

My new 8800GTS has yet to crash and doesn't have any driver problems. I'd stay away from ATI, but that's just MHO. :p

Does the margin of difference translate into games as well? Artificial benchmark usually fares much better with better/more core CPU, not so much with real games.

Yeah, it does translate into games. I am still outscoring his single card with mine and he is using the 1gb cards.

I upgraded in June from dual X1950XTXs to dual HD2900XTs. The antec wasn't out at the time, so I went to the Silverstone 1k Strider. Works well. But, like everyone else said, I'd wait a month and a half to see whats on the way.

How is the performance?

Better then the X1950XTXs in all the games I play (COH, SupCom). I run DX10 with 2x AA at 1920x1200 on everything. Waiting for the 5400 intel boards to go crossfire with dual quads.

Better then the X1950XTXs in all the games I play (COH, SupCom). I run DX10 with 2x AA at 1920x1200 on everything. Waiting for the 5400 intel boards to go crossfire with dual quads.

I won't be running DX10 yet. I can't get my games (BF2142, Supreme Commander) to run in Vista.

So it was worth the money??

I won't be running DX10 yet. I can't get my games (BF2142, Supreme Commander) to run in Vista.

So it was worth the money??

Hmm...that's a tough one, probably not, but hopefully Crysis will sway my mind. When you factor in the PSU, it's tough to justify. I'd definitely wait a month and see what's in store before throwing down the money right now.

On another note, I was SLI all the way until nVidia couldn't come up with a working Vista drivers, which is why I went crossfire back last Nov., at this point in time, I'd look long at hard at whatever nVidia has coming out too.

I have both of those games running in Vista Ultimate 64 with no problems.

I tried with both 64 and 32 bit of Vista. Clean installs with only sound and vid drivers. Crashed everytime.

Hmm...that's a tough one, probably not, but hopefully Crysis will sway my mind. When you factor in the PSU, it's tough to justify. I'd definitely wait a month and see what's in store before throwing down the money right now.

On another note, I was SLI all the way until nVidia couldn't come up with a working Vista drivers, which is why I went crossfire back last Nov., at this point in time, I'd look long at hard at whatever nVidia has coming out too.

I guess since I won't be running Vista, upgrading right away like everyone says. May not be worth it.

I've found ATI's drivers to be atrocious, but maybe my experience is an isolated incident.

I, too, had an X1950XTX, and found my system crashing to desktop about 20% of the maps I'd play in CSS. Same goes for starting UT3 demo, though the failure rate was about 40%.

My new 8800GTS has yet to crash and doesn't have any driver problems. I'd stay away from ATI, but that's just MHO. :p

Sorry about your bad luck..I've always had an ATI card and have never had a single driver issue...

Sorry about your bad luck..I've always had an ATI card and have never had a single driver issue...

I have dealt with many builds involving ATI cards and nvidia cards and have found both can be equally bothersome, especially when swapping the two company's cards out for each other. Driver cleaner, uninstalls, reinstalls....what a mess. I usually just do a fresh install if windows to be safe. I deal predominantly with ATI cards for the ease of use as far as working with multiple displays. I find they play better with my HDTV then nvidia cards and crossfire can be utilized in most games.

wait and see what both NV and AMD come out with soon, but if history repeats itself as i suspect it will, the cost effective upgrade from two x1900's would be two 8800GTX's or two 8800GT's in SLI (if the upcoming 8800GT turns out to be as fast or faster yet cheaper than 8800GTX as rumored), two x2900's right now would be the poorest choice for many reasons, cost, performance, and timing included

I've only had two problems with ATi drivers over the years, the 7.9 drivers that would crash to desktop when CF was enable, and the artifacts problem in Portal with the 7.10 drivers.

On a seperate note, you really DON'T want people to stay away from ATi or that 8800 you have will cost you $1500 instead of $399. Competition is good, so YOU pay less:)

I am looking to upgrade my two 1950xtx's for two 2900xt's

I just found out I need a new PS and looking into the ANTEC TruePower Quattro 1000W.

I normally stick with the ATI brand of cards. Should I look into another brand?

Is there anything else I should worry about?

i see u have two x1950xtx CrossFire setup on an intel SLI base MB..,..so it is possible to run 2 x1950xtx CrossFire cards on an SLI intel base MB??? just curious cuz i have GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 and an x1950xtx, is it possible to run a crossfire setup with my board...?

My board is setup for Crossfire not SLI.
The Chipset is Intel not nVidia.

From what I understand you cannot run Crossfire on a SLI board.

Back