Upgrading for 2k to XP

pduan87

[H]ard|Gawd
If I upgrade 2k to XP, all my installed apps and games will not be affected correct?

No one can guarantee that all your apps will work correctly without first knowing *every* application that is currently installed. This would require someone to check with each software vendor for compatibility if it was not known already.

Instead of taking the time to post every program you have, why not just check with each vendor yourself? If a vendor can't help you, then post back here with the program name and I am sure someone out there may have an answer for you.

When you run the windows xp upgrade its goes through and check to see if things are compatible or not. Once finished checking it will come back with a report for you. That will let you know what will work and what might not work.

I don't think you can do an upgrade from win2k pro to xp. it not an upgrade really. more cross platform. I am pretty sure it will do a clean install.

Originally posted by wipeout833
When you run the windows xp upgrade its goes through and check to see if things are compatible or not. Once finished checking it will come back with a report for you. That will let you know what will work and what might not work.

The compatibility check is limited to a subset of software and although it may be able to check online for updates, it still may not be able to check all installed software.

Originally posted by oakfan52
I don't think you can do an upgrade from win2k pro to xp. it not an upgrade really. more cross platform. I am pretty sure it will do a clean install.

You can perform an upgrade from 2kpro to xppro, a clean install would require the end user to reinstall as of his/her applications. An upgrade will preserve those applications and settings that are compatible with XP.

Hmm my suggestion don't :p The should work fine after the upgrade but I realy hate windows xp personally.

I upgraded to xp then went back to good ole' 2k.

I have winxp but its striped down with 2000/xplite and the performance is MUCH better.

An upgrade will work just fine. There shouldn't be any problem going from Windows 2000 to XP. And if there is a problem the compatibility report didn't warn you about, let me know.

Back