Upgrading D975XBX2 based system to Windows 7

Spartancal

n00b
I'm in the process of upgrading my intel D975xbx2 based system to Windows 7. In addition, I'm updating some of the hardware as follows:

1. Changing processor from E6600 to Q6700
2. Changing processor heatsink from base heatsink to Thermalright Ultra Extreme
3. Upgraded from 4 GB of memory to 8 GB (for photoshop and lightroom)
4 Adding 2 1 TB WD Black Caviar Drives
I have a couple of questions:

1. I don't plan to use any Raids in my system., but I will use both the intel and marvell sata ports.

Intel Sata port
0 - 150 GB WD Raptor (OS and Programs)
1 - 320 GB Seagate 7200.10 (Working Photo and Video Files)
2 - 320 GB Seagate 7200.10 (Temp Files)
3 - Sata DVD Burner

Marvell Sata ports
0 - 1 TB WD Black Caviar (Permanent Storage Photo Files and Application Cache Files)
1 - 1 TB WD Black Caviar (Permanent Storage Video Files and OS Swap File)
2 - Sata DVD Burner
3 - Sata to eSata bracket (for connection to 1 of 3 Seagate external drives)

Now to my question s- to use the Intel and Marvel Sata ports without any Raid configuration:

1. Do I need to install the Intel and Marvell Sata drivers using the F6 method or does Windows 7 install the correct driver and I don't need to add the drivers using F6 prior to the installation of the Operating System?

2. To use the red sata port on the motherboard for eSata, do I need to install the marvell drivers?

3. Can Sata Optical drives be assigned to the Marvell ports ( I thought I read on intel's support site that all optical drives should be installed on the intel?

I am pretty sure I have my ODD on my BadAxe on the Marvell port.

I don't have mush more info on your other questions, though. I will watch the thread, b/c I plan on upgrading my Axe to Win7, too, at some point.

-bZj

1. Do I need to install the Intel and Marvell Sata drivers using the F6 method or does Windows 7 install the correct driver and I don't need to add the drivers using F6 prior to the installation of the Operating System?

2. To use the red sata port on the motherboard for eSata, do I need to install the marvell drivers?

3. Can Sata Optical drives be assigned to the Marvell ports ( I thought I read on intel's support site that all optical drives should be installed on the intel?
1. I'm not sure, but I don't think you'll have to install any drivers.

2. You shouldn't have to. You will have to make sure the Marvell controller is set to run in AHCI mode in the BIOS however, otherwise hot-plugging SATA drives will not work.

3. Yes, you can use SATA optical drives with the Marvell ports.

i just got a bad axe 2 today, i did not need to help win7 find drivers. it did it itself just fine.

kyosho1

1. Do you have drives connected to the both the intel and marvel data ports (non-raid) and are they functioning correctly?

2. Have you tried the esata red port with an external drive yet? Did it function properly?

i have a drive connected to the intel SATA port and it's fine. i will try the other ports for you too. but windows 7 did say it detected a set of Marvel ports along with the intel ports.

I'm using both the Intel and SATA 6Gb/s Marvell ports and in my sig rig and everything is works just great. The trick is to get the drives setup in the correct boot order, at least it was for me as two of the secondary drives I have in my system still have Windows 7 installs that I kept for whatever reason, so if the boot order isn't right in my case I get the wrong drives' OS loaded if that makes sense.

But other than that, which really have nothing to do with the controllers anyway, has been by only SATA ports issue.

Back