Upgrading a slimline vostro for casual use

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
Hey all

So I have a slimline Dell vostro, with the following specs:
* Intel Pentium E5200 (2.5ghz, dual core)
* 2gb ram
* 160gb hard drive
* Integrated graphics
* Win XP

I want to hook this up to an HDTV (1080p) and be able to watch DVD's, HD content from the web, etc. without stuttering, and without adding a lot of noise. Would this do the trick, and allow me to do audio over HDMI?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5692360&CatId=3670

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you make sure that whatever media player you're using supports hardware accelerated playback. For the HD content from the web, that more than likely means Flash. As such, download and install the latest beta build of Flash 10.1 for hardware accelerated playback of flash content.

Great, it's on the way. Does XBMC/Boxee support hardware decoding? I know programs like CoreAVC and media player homecinema do, but they're ugly and not well-integrated. And I hear WinXP may be a problem..

-Tyler

Great, it's on the way. Does XBMC/Boxee support hardware decoding? I know programs like CoreAVC and media player homecinema do, but they're ugly and not well-integrated. And I hear WinXP may be a problem..

-Tyler

XBMC/Boxee does not support hardware decoding.

Back