Upgrade Suggestions

WeeManFoo

Limp Gawd
I've had my Canon t1i since September and I feel it's time for me to upgrade a few pieces of my setup to help me get a few better shots. I have the kit 18-55mm IS lens and a 50mm 1.8 mkII lens. Here is what I'm looking to get in chronological order:

Lens hood for my 50mm
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II
67mm UV filter (don't know how much to spend)
Canon 55-250mm
Lens hood for ^
New body (either 60d or t2i for 1080p 24fps video)
Grip
Speedlight (no idea what I need)

Just wanted to get a few opinions before I start putting down some cash. Is there something I should get first or do differently? FYI, I use my DSLR to take snapshots of my friends so I don't need ultra fast AF or pro stuff. All I need are reasonably priced parts that I wouldn't cry over if I broke or lost them.

What don't you like about your current setup, and what additional capability would you like to have? For available light snapshots, a 35mm-ish focal length is nice on a crop camera.

I want better low light performance (indoor) but still want a zoom lens. I traveled this past weekend and only used my nifty fifty. It took some great photo's but the few times I needed a wider shot for video and group pictures it was way too long. I also want the 1080p video of the 7d or t2i on my camera with a zoom lens that has a constant aperture. I have considered the 17-40L lens but I feel like the f4 won't gain me any extra low light abilities.

I like my current setup, but what I need is a faster general purpose zoom for a crop body, lens hood to prevent some nasty flares I have on my 50mm, and something in my bag that can reach past 50mm. Everything else I have listed above is to suport that including the speedlight and a grip for more stability and balance with lenses that don't have IS.

That's a tough combination, even 2.8 can be too slow when you're using available light. I have a Sigma 30mm f 1.4 that I'll use at f/2 and ISO1600 a lot. If you don't mind shooting ISO3200 or higher, the 2.8 zoom might work for you, but it depends a lot on how much light you have and what shutter speeds you're willing to accept.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm and I LOVE IT! It is on my camera 80% of the time. Although I do shoot at 1600 and 3200 iso ALOT.

Noise at 1600 ISO is pretty bad on my t1i. It seems like the t2i is improved at 1600 and I hope that the 60d can make clean shots at 1600 since it will most likely use a new image processor (digic V). Honestly, if my pic is too noisy I just make it black and white and and pretend it's film grain. Having a faster shutter speed is more important to me than noise for what I shoot.

Another option would be the Tokina 16-50mm. I hear it has great built quality and good sharpness, but there aren't very many reviews. I have considered the Sigma 30mm, but for that price I think I would rather get a zoom. It would definably be next on my list of lenses to get because a 50mm prime is too much on a 1.6 crop. I'm looking for something to replace the 18-55mm that came with my camera since I find it an adequate range for 90% of what I shoot. How does the rest of my planned kit look? I am also considering a Gorillapod Zoom DSLR to throw in my bag. Is that a good choice for a portable tripod?

Back