Upgrade/Repair Advice

xavierq

Gawd
I built my computer in 2012, with only a graphics card update since then. Today I found out my RAM has gone bad, and I'm having constant blue screens and the computer is basically unusable. My thinking is that if I'm going to pay for replacement RAM, I may as well get a new motherboard and cpu and just make it an upgrade. Ideally, the graphics card is still compatible, but if the hardware profile has changed enough that I'll have to replace that and the cpu cooler as well, I'd rather do that than buy older/less ideal tech just for backwards comparability of hardware that's likely near the end of its life as well. Bonus recommendation for an SSD upgrade, the 256GB I've been using is crazy restrictive.

I'd like to keep the buy under $600 for the three components, though it's a soft cap. If I'm going to see significant improvement, I'm cool spending extra.

My existing hardware I'm looking to keep is a Corsaid 650D case, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (which I believe is compatible with LGA 1151), some kind of PCIX vid card I'd need to take out of the rig to identify, Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200rpm SATA, Crucial M4 256GB, Corsair HX650 psu, Asus VG248QE and 2 other more generic monitors, Logitech Z5500 5.1 digital speakers.

I'd be looking for an Intel cpu (I'm assuming something i7 coffee lake) a motherboard with decent sound and onboard vid for the other monitors, lan, wifi, etc (I'm partial to Gigabyte--the Aorus stuff looks sexy, but is prob overkill), and whatever ram is smart here (been using Ripjaws). I've got 16GB now and I swear Chrome uses all of it, because it's a memory leaking bag of crap, but maybe that was due to the RAM going bad? I wouldn't mind having 32 instead if the price is reasonable, or at least having slots open to add more,if that doesn't affect performance.

I'll be reusing my Windows 10 license.

I use it both professionally, as a programmer, and for gaming. Gaming as been Overwatch, Path of Exile, nothing really new. Though I fully intend to play Bladerunner 2077 when that comes out.

I don't really overclock anymore, so not worried about if the chip is unlocked.

I'll prob buy at Newegg or Amazon. I have access to a Microcenter, but I'd need to be saving more than $10 to make it worth the trip.

So, I'll answer this twice based on a line you put in.

Firstly, you were requesting three specific parts: RAM, CPU, Mobo. I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, most mobos are created equal nowadays (overclocking excluded) aside from aesthetics, so if you have access to Microcenter I'd consider picking up whatever they've got that's cheap. In general, I'd aim for an 8600K (the k is faster even when not OC'd and not much more expensive), and a B360 or H370 chipset motherboard. Something like this. That gets you what you wanted for under the $600, presuming you reuse your SSD and Hyper 212.

However, if you take away one line about the Intel CPU, AMD is definitely on my current menu for all "general purpose PC" type builds; they *are* better bang for the buck. This is also below your $600, and gets you an 8C/16T CPU instead of Intel's 6C/6T CPU. At $525, you've also got enough money left over to squeeze in a 500 GB Samsung SSD if you find a deal like this one.

Comparing the two options, the Intel one would likely be the better gamer (for now, until games better utilize the extra 2 cores on the AMD), especially if you do zero overclocking on the Ryzen system. However, the Ryzen system would likely be better at *everything* else, owing to its extra 2 cores and more than double threadcount.

Thanks for the explanation. It seemed like the more expensive boards just had color leds on them, glad to know that's actually all you're paying for. I'll have to think on switching to AMD, I've been using Intel for decades now. You've already convinced me to order the SSD.

The Ryzen 7 1700 is really a good CPU if you plan to OC. You can, fairly easily I understand, OC it from its 3.0 GHz base to ~3.6 GHz, even using just the AMD provided air cooler. At its current price, it's unbeatable as a value proposition.

If you don't want to OC at all, and have the funds, then spending extra for the 2700x is the way to go. It's significantly faster than the 1700 without an OC, but it has a higher price tag. HOWEVER, with Microcenter as an option, prices are cheaper than online and if you buy a mobo bundle with them you get $30 off. My local microcenter has the 2700x for $279 and mobos are comparable to Newegg's pricing.

AMD is in a *great* position now, for all but the hardcore gamer crowd.

ryzen is definitely the way to go with that budget. 1700x-$180,
https://www.microcenter.com/product/485473/Ryzen_7_1700X_34_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor
asus rog strix x470-f gaming with $30 discount- $140.if you decide you want to upgrade your proc later on you have the chipset to do it.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/506164/ROG_Strix_X470-F_Gaming_AM4_ATX_AMD_Motherboard
with memory you can spend a lot for the best or just go with average timings and speeds for alot less. this is where you will want to do some research before pulling the trigger. find out what your software/games will need to perform up to your standards to make the memory purchase much easier.
it may be wise to go with a 2x8gb kit for now and upgrade to a second kit later on if you need it. you would be able to get the b-die gskill and stay within your budget. cas 14 3200 or cas 16 3600 is usually $230-$250 2x8gb kit. you could also go with a much cheaper loose timing set for between $150- $190 for 2x8gb kit.

get the memory at newegg. altho if you want 32gb of the good stuff your going to spend more than half your budget. example-loose timings but solid speed. probably wont oc very well. maybe 3400 with cas18-19 $270
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232091
same stuff but with rgb and built to run with ryzen rigs. oc potential is about the same as well. $270
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232748
tight timings same 3200 speed. the best ics available- samsung b-die. should oc to 3600 16-16-16 or run tighter timings at 3200 but its expensive. $400
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232218

and dont forget that your ripjaws have a lifetime warranty. they will take care of you. most likely they will replace your entire kit with something that matches its speed and timings or they will upgrade it if theres nothing available.

Keep in mind if you get the 1700X, it doesn't come with a fan, where the 1700 and 2700X do.

Back