Upgrade question if possible !

Omionous11

Weaksauce
Hey everyone.

So I play games like Destiny 2 ( 90 FPS ) and War zone ( 70 fps ) but with my current rig I get frame drops at the worse times while playing games. Frames can drop by 20 at a time for a second so it makes PvP a real headache. I'm thinking of upgrading my rig but not all at once.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ominous11/saved/

Here's my rig above. So I had a question, Do you think if I upgraded my CPU, MoBo, Ram for now that it will help out on my FPS problem ? I'm not techy at all but I was thinking the 4 cores is limiting me back. My CPU is OC to 4.4 and when playing games I'm at 100 usage at around 60temps. If this is yes I have two questions:

1) is it worth upgrading now or is new tech around the "corner" and should wait ?

2) If not what do you guy's recommend on upgrading too ? Cash inst really a problem and I like to future proof my rig for new games coming out. Also I like to stay in a black and white theme.

I know I asked a lot but if anyone has recommendations I would really appreciate it !

Assuming you're running overclocked CPU, You're likely GPU-limited in Warzone:

17133851541l.jpg

17133957846l.jpg

And Destiny will always be screwed on CPU, as it's not really scaling above 4 cores! But I think that even at stock speeds, your core i5 shoould be seeing 150 fps average fps/ 89 minimum!

destiny-2-cpu-bench-1080p-highest.png

I ran Destiny 2 on my 1060 6GB with 20% upscale, and I recall it falling below 60 fps pretty often. So you're definitely going to be seeign the fframerates you reporting on that GTX 980 Ti.

You need a new GPU today, and a new CPU within the next year.

View attachment 239263

View attachment 239264

And Destiny will always be screwed on CPU, as it's not really scaling above 4 cores! But I think that even at stock speeds, your core i5 shoould be seeing 150 fps average fps/ 89 minimum!

View attachment 239265

I ran Destiny 2 on my 1060 6GB with 20% upscale, and I recall it falling below 60 fps pretty often. So you're definitely going to be seeign the fframerates you reporting on that GTX 980 Ti.

realy?
1587472924322.png

Yeah, if you look around, nobody can top 144hz in this game - and given the fact that I can hit half that on my 1060 6GB, it's probably not GPU-limited.

If you want to verify what the limiting factor here is, try running your game at 720p. If your framerate doesn't increase by at-least 40%, then you're CPU-limited.

Also, is that CPU running stock or overclocked? You could get around 20%-30% higher CPU performance with overclock of Devil's Canyon!

Last edited:
Yeah, if you look around, nobody can top 144hz in this game - and given the fact that I can hit half that on my 1060 6GB, it's probably not GPU-limited.

If you want to verify what the limiting factor here is, try running your game at 720p. If your framerate doesn't increase by at-least 40%, then you're CPU-limited.

Also, is that CPU running stock or overclocked? You could get around 20%-30% higher CPU performance with overclock of Devil's Canyon!

4.4 is the highest I can go with a stable OC for my cpu. Stock for my gpu is 3.4

I will aso try the 720 thing ! thanks

View attachment 239263

View attachment 239264

View attachment 239265

well remember I run a 1440p ultrawide montior as well with max setting on D2 my 90frames come with that. so i would prob get 150 fps like u mentioned at 1080p

4.4 is the highest I can go with a stable OC for my cpu. Stock for my gpu is 3.4

I will aso try the 720 thing ! thanks

Yeah, you should be getting over 110 fps minimum in Warzone at those speeds, and Destiny 2 should be over 100 fps as well. IU just can't see anythgin else that could case your slowdowns (unless these benchmarks aren't accurate?)

Dropping to 720p will tell you for sure.

well remember I run a 1440p ultrawide montior as well with max setting on D2 my 90frames come with that. so i would prob get 150 fps like u mentioned at 1080p

Sorry, I just assumed you were running the first listed monitor on your part. list.

Yeah, 1440p widescreen is going to be a lot heavier on your 1070 equivivelent. You can verify by cutting your resolution down to 1080p, but It's time to upgrade your GPU.

Bottom line is you can upgrade either or and get very good benefits...right now today you can get pretty solid gains either way you go. I might be tempted to do the new board/cpu/ram first since we should still see another year or more with possible new cpus coming up for upgrades in the future. (if even needed) And it be very nice to grab the next Nvidia or AMD cards coming out in the next batch rather than what we have now available. flip a coin either is fine choice as depending on budget, a new gpu is gonna have nice benefits.

Back