Upgrade path from 5850 crossfire?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,
Its been a while since ive looked at video cards. I currently have 2x Radeon 5850's in crossfire and I have the upgrade itch.

Im looking for a single card that will outperform my current setup or, if its more cost efficient, two lower cards.

On GPU review, the only single cards that can "theoretically" out perform what I have are the newest ones on the table and cost $600+. I know that that is only theoretical, hence why im here asking for real world input.

im looking at spending less than $300, Is it possible to increase performance or should I wait to see what AMD will ship out.

Note: I have always had ATI/AMD: (computer 1: 3d Rage), (computer 2: radeon 7000, 9800 pro, x850XT, X1950, 2800, 3850 (last AGP card), ( Computer 3:5850, 5850 crossfire )

that being said, I am not brand loyal. Whatever is the best out when I buy is what I will get. As you can see, I usually weigh price/performance pretty high.

Also, I did have a tandy before computer 1 but it was dos based, no 3d accelerator) :)

thanks guys!

For me the HD7950 its the way to go...

Check this at just 260$.

EDITED: weird link.. now fixed.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Plz forgive me for using a chart from Tom's but it's only a GPU comparison chart -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

as you know, 5850 was second behind 5870(still have 1 of these beauties!!), so your 2 5850s are in the 5970 performance region, only single card `that region(worth getting) or > is ..7970..and for the price/s the above have shown @the egg, 7970 would be a no-brainer..gl!!

To answer your real question ' will you see a performance improvement?' then I would say definitely yes...there will be no 'dual card overhead' and the 7970 is a beast as it is..gl again..

Last edited:
Back