Upgrade or replace? Need some assistance

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
Couple scenarios here. Looking at prices, used or new, it doesn't seem to make much sense for me to attempt an upgrade but maybe I'm missing something.

Long story short. I was given $500(USD) to get a gaming pc together that will push 60+ fps in games like Hitman 2 (must) but am going to use GTA-V (high settings) as the preference since it's much more demanding and will be played.

I thought there was a sticky somewhere with the pre-defined questions but I didn't see it. I'll try to get most of the details listed.

Budget- $500 USD (TOTAL)
Primary Use- Gaming / Streaming shows
Resolution Requirement- 1080p 60+ FPS
Form Factor- ITX / mATX if footprint can be kept 'portable'. Laptop not preferred.

Current "gaming" pc is a Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV (i5, 350m, 8gb). I've not looked at it but was told Hitman 2 won't even install due to DirectX compatibility.

--------------------------------------------------

I was pondering the idea of selling him my system and upgrading. I would be throwing some monies on top of the 500 for the upgrade. BUT looking at prices, I don't think I'm going to get much out of a "new" build.
My gaming pc is in sig but:
4770K @ 4.2Ghz (could probably get more out of it but PSU limited)
16GB GSkill
Z97 Asrock ITX-AC
GTX 980 Asus
PM830 Samsung 256GB (OS/Apps)
WD Raptor 600GB (Games)
CX430 Corsair PSU
Node 304 Case
Custom water loop on GPU and CPU with MCP355 pump and Coolgate 280 radiator.

If I were to take some cash. I could just upgrade my GPU, PSU of course and HDDs for larger SSDs. And be within ~500 for an upgrade.

Looking to get a complete gaming pc under ~500 seems to be more of the challenge. I've seen a few good combo deals in FS/T but they go fast. Would staying in the 3770K gen still be ideal if pairing with my GTX 980? My system is able to maintain the 60+ fps in GTA-V and the demo of Hitman 2 was smooth and looked good at default settings. I streamed me playing the game to him over steam and he was happy with graphics. Are there older CPUs that still have the Horsepower I should consider. I think there was an i7-875k listed a while back and paired with the 980, appeared to do surprisingly well in some YT comparison.

I could still pair my 980 with a combo buy here and use that money towards an upgrade for me. Sorry for all the words. I might retype this later in the morning after some sleep.

Summary:
$500 USD Gaming pc needed for 60+ fps
I have a decent gaming pc. Do I sell all or part?
What is the oldest CPU I should be considering to pair with GPU no less than GTX 980?
If I sell all, I'd have ~$1000 towards replacement. Recommendations?

Maybe a 'rebuild' into this? Had to go back a ways to https://hardforum.com/threads/fat-g...ooled-node-304.1811985/page-2#post-1042466549
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi41.tinypic.com%2F4gro1w.jpg

Back