Upgrade from Ti4200 to GT 6800?

Palliser

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I don't have a ton of money, but I am looking forward to playing Doom 3 (who isn't) do you think my 4200 will hang with the game or should I start saving for an upgrade?

What would you do? Yes, upgrade is always better, but will I really see a huge difference? Remember I don't have a lot of cash!

Thanks for your time!!

Pal

Personally I would do the upgrade, unless you have a really slow CPU and very little RAM, then you might not benefit as much. I have a Ti4200( which is on the verge of dying) with my AMD XP2000+, 768MB RAM and WinXP system. I have been thinking about an upgrade for a long time, but now since my video card is dying I'm going to try and stretch it out unitl I can afford the upgrade, and since I will be upgrading the video card I might as well do the entire system. So basically you might be able to play Doom 3 on it's minimal settings, which will probably still look pretty good compared to other games' minimal settings, but an upgrade in videocard would definitely benefit. I will know shortly though since I will own the game before I can do the upgrade. There are other cool games coming out later as well that would also benefit from an upgrade. The thing you really have to justify though is, whether or not a huge system upgrade (costing big bucks) is worth the small number of (good) games you are going to play, and only you really know the answer to that.

My friend just upgraded from a ti4400 to a 6800GT and for him it was like getting a whole new computer.

It depends on your CPU. What CPU do you have?

If you have a slower CPU it probably wont do you alot of justice to upgrade to a 6800GT. You might think about a nice 6800nu for $100 less though. Some people have been getting good overclocks on them. Seen a few running at 400/800 and 400/900.

Oh yeah.. sorry,

I have a Barton 1.8 oc'd to 2.2 ghz, a gig of pc3200.

Thanks all so much!
Pal

Palliser said:
Oh yeah.. sorry,

I have a Barton 1.8 oc'd to 2.2 ghz, a gig of pc3200.

Thanks all so much!
Pal

Yeah, definetly upgrade. I'm putting my ti4200 out to pasture and I have almost the same proc - Tbred 1.7 @ 2.4ghz and a gig of ram. Your proc and ram will be fine for now, the vid card is where you'll need the help.

The specs you needed to play where released and the Nvidia Ti4200 was under the "low res" spec. So if you want to run it at its lowest possible settings, stick with 4200. Otherwise, upgrade.

You will definitely love the difference. Going from a G4 4400 to a 6800 GT was like playing on a whole new comp, even with just a P4 2.4B. Planning on upgrading that soon so I can see just how far this'll go. I highly recommend BFG's card in particular.

Back