upgrade from intel motherboard

lone wolf

Gawd
I have a DH77EB intel board, and while it is running decently at the moment I want to upgrade it and put it into a HTPC/Media Server combo. The CPU that I have is a i7-3770 and 16gb 1333mhz memory. I am hoping for another micro atx board with quite a few SATA ports.

I am looking at this AShttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157356Rock board, has anyone had experience with this?

is there something better available?

What are you trying to improve about your current setup? If just Sata ports why not a SATA PCIe controller for less.
What is your plan for the storage and redundancy/backup?

Asrock as a motherboard brand is ok, although complaints on their motherboards flexing since they are thinner YMMV. That link for $59 looks to be a good value with 5 Sata ports.

Last edited:
While the current board is still functioning, I am getting BSOD's at least 3 times a day. I have switched out the memory and even switched out the 1tb hdd with a SSD 250. yes the SATA ports are a good selling point as I will start using the box for backup of my movies and music

Wow that sounds like a pain.

Have you done a clean windows install to ensure the software is not the cause?

I have done a complete clean install on the intel board, however the BSOD continues. I did just receive the Aasrock B75M R2.0 board today so I will work on getting this one setup. I did happen to lay hands on 2 of the i7 CPU's so I did get two boards as well.

One thing that I did not look at is the fact that the board only has 2 RAM slots. while this is not a deal breaker I will have to put only 8gb on each board, but if they are good I will just purchase 2 8gb pairs so that both boards have 16gb each.

so I pulled the trigger and got the ASrock mainboard. received them and noticed that they only have 2 ram slots (my fault) I have 16gb 1333 ram to put into them. I ended up getting 2 of them so I will be building 2 identical computers, one for HTPC use and one for my other uses such as BD Rips with handbrake.

I am thinking that maybe I should run a separate PC just for the dedicated Plex system. Havent made my mind up yet.

it has been a while since I built my last computer, I am totally out of it.

Back