Upgrade ESXi or dowgrade virtual machine version

athlon1.2

Supreme [H]ardness
I told my friend to install ESXi 4.1. He ignored me and installed ESXI 5.0.0 update 1, build 62380 which has a major bug: can not auto-start virtual machines with host.

The server is not listed in 5.1 HCL by HP or VMware.
ESXi 5.0.0 build 62380 is the newest 5.0.0 build published by HP.

I have downloaded 5.0.0 update 1b and attempted to install it:

# esxcli software vib install --depot=/vmfs/volumes/Datastore/ESXi500-201209001.zip
Installation Result
Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

However upon rebooting the machine gives a purple screen. Upon rebooting a second time it loads back into 62380, i.e. update failed in the end.

So I have two options:

1) Figure out a way to update the HP ESXi version. I can not find any details about this
2) Remove USB flash drive, install ESXi 4.1 on new USB flash drive. Downgrade virtual machines from version 8 to version 7.

What is the best way to proceed? Why is it so seemingly difficult to have a working vmware system?

Seems the issue here is with HP, not vmware. The auto-start bug has been fixed for awhile now.

You need to run "esxcli software vib update" instead of "esxcli software vib install". Install removes all the HP OEM drivers like for the local raid controller in this case and doesn't replace them with anything.

Back