Upgrade Advice Requested

Scocho

n00b
Just bought my two sons their first PCs, both the same prebuilt (link here, or see key info at the bottom). They're loving Fortnite and I'm hoping I can upgrade my ancient PC I built in 2008 so I can play with them - albeit at a low cost (ideally under $300 if possible) since I'll be broke for a while after buying theirs...

I'd be thrilled if Fortnite played on my PC at a similar level to theirs. Below are the main components of my PC. Can I upgrade this to play at their level by spending under $300 (ideally less)? Please let me know if any additional information is needed. Any suggestions are welcome!

My PC:
Processor: Intel Q6600
Graphics: Nvidia 8800GTS (G92) 512MB
Mobo: DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS
RAM: 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HX
Storage: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
CPU Cooler: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120

Kids' PCs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR4
Storage: 240GB SSD

Honest answer, no. That’s a DDR2 rig and a video card from over a decade ago or more.

But $300 could build you a decent AMD apu build since video cards are all out of your budget currently.

Rats… well I appreciate your response. Was hoping if I spent a bit over $700 on a prebuild I might be able to spend half that to upgrade mine… wishful thinking apparently.

I’m unfamiliar with AMD APUs but I’ll certainly start checking them out. Upon first glance seems like a nice option… hope it’s something that my old P35 mobo can handle.

Thank you for the prompt response!

I’m unfamiliar with AMD APUs but I’ll certainly start checking them out. Upon first glance seems like a nice option… hope it’s something that my old P35 mobo can handle.

An APU is not a video card, it is a CPU+IGP in one package. Your P35 motherboard is in no way going to work with it. You're going to need new CPU, motherboard and memory at the bare minimum, and it's not going to be cheap unless you get a good deal used.

With a shoestring budget, I'd suggest getting a refurb Dell, like an Optiplex 9020 and throw in whatever video card you can find.Here's one for ~$160: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294220571134
which according to userbenchmark, is ~166% faster than a Q6600.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, you could get an Optiplex 7060 with an i5-8500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164480090769

Downside to this machine is the motherboard and PSU are proprietary, limiting the video card to one that doesn't require an external power header.

To get an AMD APU alone, like the 3400G would cost close to $300 due to scalping and the fact that AMD stopped making them. The only other CPUs with an IGP are Intel parts. The IGP in the 10th gen CPUs isn't terrible, but you aren't going to game on high settings. 11th gen CPUs have a slightly better IGP, but still nothing to write home about.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
An APU is not a video card, it is a CPU+IGP in one package. Your P35 motherboard is in no way going to work with it. You're going to need new CPU, motherboard and memory at the bare minimum, and it's not going to be cheap unless you get a good deal used.

With a shoestring budget, I'd suggest getting a refurb Dell, like an Optiplex 9020 and throw in whatever video card you can find.Here's one for ~$160: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294220571134
which according to userbenchmark, is ~166% faster than a Q6600.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, you could get an Optiplex 7060 with an i5-8500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164480090769

Downside to this machine is the motherboard and PSU are proprietary, limiting the video card to one that doesn't require an external power header.

To get an AMD APU alone, like the 3400G would cost close to $300 due to scalping and the fact that AMD stopped making them. The only other CPUs with an IGP are Intel parts. The IGP in the 10th gen CPUs isn't terrible, but you aren't going to game on high settings. 11th gen CPUs have a slightly better IGP, but still nothing to write home about.
Amazon is showing 278 for the 3400g right now....add in motherboard, ram and case and ps is another 300sh....looking about 600 for this kind of possible build? maybe 700 tops

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your best bet is to hit the fs/trade section and see if you can find a decent used intel cpu with igp,mb,mem combo for cheap to to get you started. Absolutely have to get an ssd to speed things up but a 256 can be had for $25-$30. Then try to snag a older gpu later on. I dont know what the used market is like for intel DFI mobos but you may be able to get some decent money for your mb. Reuse the rest of your gear and youll be gaming with the kids in no time!

Start a wanted thread explaining what your goal is...ie need super budget fortnite system!
State your budget and the components you need.
We do a pretty damn good job of taking care of our own here. Youll have a solid fortnite gamer put together in no time ;)

Edit-Fortnite sys requirements

https://www.epicgames.com/help/th/f...requirements-for-fortnite-on-pc-and-mac-a3332

Back