Upgrade advice for a compact phone user.

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Alrighty, so here I am maybe seeking out some upgrade advice and bounce some ideas off others, I usually post topics here a couple times a year, I just wanted to get some input since I always tend to upgrade towards the end of the year.

I've been using a iPhone 6 for most of the year, I've tried some phones in-between but I've mostly stuck to it.

I took a gamble and purchased a Moto X Pure Edition a month ago, and in result sold my iPhone 6 on swappa right before the iPhone 6S came out, and ended up returning my Moto X Pure due to not being able to use phablets.

So right now, I am using a Droid Maxx which is a backup phone.. and I must say, this is a very solid backup phone, though it has noticeably aged, the battery on the device is insane and it's a great display size, though I know this phone will be EOL soon I do want to get into something more modern that will be updated, since this is pretty much my backup phone, I want to keep it as a backup.

I'm a fairly light user. Calls, text, email. Light youtube and media consumption, some occasional web browsing on news sites. No social media, no games. I barely ever use my camera, the camera is not important, just needs to be able to snap a decent photo, I'm not asking for anything huge in the camera department.

I can't do phablets. I've tried the Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, iPhone 6 Plus, and I even used a friends Note 4 for a day, I'm just not a phablet user. I need to be able to one hand my device, I don't do enough media consumption to benefit off the bigger screen. I've tried and tried and learnt my lesson, so no phablets.

I'm on Verizon, with no plans on switching at all.

I know my options are a little limited in that regard, pretty much here is my list I've considered and I'm just looking for input:

iPhone 6S - I've been using iOS for years and years and I'm used to it. Since last year I've really enjoyed Android more, but I know I'll be very comfortable here in familiar territory, my only downside is how expensive the 6S is, though I would try to make 16GB work, I know it's pretty much a unwritten rule to get a 64GB iPhone now due to the live photos and space that the OS takes.

iPhone 6 - Yes, just get my 6 back with the price drop and all. I had a 16GB iPhone 6 all year long and managed fine, always having at least 5GB available. I could score a mint or NIB 6 off Swappa for a pretty good price here, and I know it will be solid for another year.

Galaxy S6 - 32GB base is awesome, I know the S6 has a wicked processor, amazing screen, camera, quick charging, good size, good accessory support.. and there are many being sold on Swappa NIB for around $430 price range. I tried this device earlier this year for a few days, I'm very apprehensive of TouchWiz and the lag it generates, although with my light usage I'm inclined to think I could make it work. I really like the S6, it has fantastic specs, and even stomps all over the Nexus 5X in screen and specs, I just know TouchWiz and the lag would kill me, although I've been more forgiving of lag lately, I mean I'm rocking a Droid Maxx.

HTC One M9 - I've always liked the build quality of HTC and the boom sound speakers which is nice for my occasional YouTube watching, but I pretty much know the M9 is a flop. Unless if anyone can vouch for this phone thats been updated from software I don't know about this one, the S6 just seems every reason to choose it over this one.

Droid Turbo / New Droids - I know new Droids are around the corner, the supposed Droid Turbo 2 and Maxx 2 as speculation, if they match my desire for one hand ability and being more compact this is a strong consideration, saddened by the blown up Moto X, I would love a Moto X-esque device in Droid form.

Nexus 5X - Medium level specs, but stock Android. Although Ambient display on the Nexus 6 absolutely bothered the shit out of me, this phone is a consideration I suppose for the stock experience. I do miss the Moto features from the Moto X devices but I can see this phone having some decent longevity with getting fast updates.

I appreciate any thoughts, thanks for any input.

I can't do phablets. I've tried the Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, iPhone 6 Plus, and I even used a friends Note 4 for a day, I'm just not a phablet user. I need to be able to one hand my device, I don't do enough media consumption to benefit off the bigger screen. I've tried and tried and learnt my lesson, so no phablets.

I'm on Verizon, with no plans on switching at all.
Sony has two phones, 4.6 and 5.2, the verge wasn't too impressed with their performance, but I have to wonder if that is something a ROM could cure. Although not sure if they will be available for Verizon.

Not sure how the vzn support will be, but I'm anxiously awaiting the oneplus mini info later this month. There hasn't been a decent small phone for a while other then Sony which I won't use due the the shitty manufacturer selling devices as something their not.

I'm in the same boat as well. My personal phone is still a (VZ) 2013 MotoX and I definitely am wanting to upgrade that soon.

My work phone was a One M8 but is now a Samsung S6 Edge Plus and I sure as heck don't want to have to carry around 2 phablets. /subscribed

Seems like you've already done your homework, you just have to decide for yourself now on what you want. For smaller phones on Verizon, it's pretty much down to the S6/Edge and Nexus 5X right now. My wife has had the S6 for a few months now and is happy with it, TW seems to be fast enough now and I themed it for her to stock Android through the Samsung theme store so it looks stock at least, which is nice.

Until more reviews are out for the Nexus 5X, I don't think it's too wise to assume everything would be great just cause it's Nexus. (guilty of that myself)

Until more reviews are out for the Nexus 5X, I don't think it's too wise to assume everything would be great just cause it's Nexus. (guilty of that myself)

I'm sure it won't be like the best in most categories, but I would think it would be a relatively good overall phone to have and therefore a moderately safe bet. :p

Back