Upgrade 970 to 980 Ti for 1440p gaming?

The gigabyte is actually cheaper because it carries a $50 mail in rebate for some reason newegg isn't listing it

70-80% faster is absolute nonsense. A 980 Ti is about 45-50% faster than a 970 stock to stock at 1440. A 970 typically has a little more ocing headroom too.

A 980 Ti is essentially as fast as 970 SLI but without having to deal with any SLI support issues. The 970 SLIs do run quieter if you can believe that.

A 980 Ti is essentially as fast as 970 SLI but without having to deal with any SLI support issues. The 970 SLIs do run quieter if you can believe that.
Overall yes because many games dont scale great or even work with SLI at all. Still the point was saying a 980 ti is 70-80% faster than a 970 is beyond ridiculous.

As an owner of 2 SLI 970 setups (2 Asus Strix 970s and 2 Zotac 970s), I can honestly say go for the 1 980 Ti. Your biggest issue is going over the 3.5GB VRAM especially at 1440p. I game in 1080p and even in Rainbow Six Siege, depending on the video options, I have noticed VRAM usage over 3.5GB so I end up lowering the settings. While I make no claims regarding the % of performance increase, one of my friends has a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti and he games at 1440p just as well as I game at 1080p without the VRAM issue.

what psu should one use when upgrading to 980?
For just a single 980, I believe a 500W power supply would suffice as a minimum. I'd still suggest going for a higher wattage one if you overclock, want to do SLI or just be future proof.

Interesting topic as I have a 970 but got a 4k monitor a few months back... I notice the struggling the 970 has but didn't think anything current gen would be worthwhile. Waiting still sounds like the best option, I can turn the settings down for some more months.

I'd only jump now if upgrading would solve your problem for a good while. At 2560x1440 you might be OK.

A 980 Ti will be around 70-80% faster than the 970 and is the sweet spot for gaming at 2560x1440 at the moment. I say go for it.

LOL you love people wasting money when Pascal is literally around the corner? Come on man! Please tell me you are joking.

The msi card is great! It's very solidly built, comes with a backplate and i've never heard the cooler. That would be my vote. Also, go single 980ti ver 970 sli. I went from 980 sli to 980ti and haven't looked back. Overall gameplay is just so much smoother. Perhaps I'm really sensitive to jerkiness since I don't play consoles, but 970's still fetch a pretty penny used. You wont regret it. I got mine in June of last year though so the cost was easily justifiable.

Interesting topic as I have a 970 but got a 4k monitor a few months back... I notice the struggling the 970 has but didn't think anything current gen would be worthwhile. Waiting still sounds like the best option, I can turn the settings down for some more months.

I'd only jump now if upgrading would solve your problem for a good while. At 2560x1440 you might be OK.
980TI with 1500-1570 core struggles. Next gen TI is needed bad...fuckers making me wait til like Christmas or whatever.

Back