Updgraading CPU/Mobo, need to reinstall?

MuZI

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm planning to upgrade my 3770k to the new 4790k with a new motherboard.

Will I need to reinstall the OS?

I'm kinda limited on time these days and would rather avoid that inconvenience.

Hey guys, I'm planning to upgrade my 3770k to the new 4790k with a new motherboard.

Will I need to reinstall the OS?

I'm kinda limited on time these days and would rather avoid that inconvenience.

There are bunches and bunches of threads on this issue. They all seem to say that both motherboards are Intel, you should be OK. Just uninstall the drivers for the old MB.

I myself upgraded from an ASUS X58 board to an ASUS X79 board, no issues. Only everything ran faster. :)

These threads pop up like once every month, either here or in the motherboard subforum. Short answer is no, you don't need to if you're running Vista or newer.

this is my 4790K setup, check out the install date,
hal-x100-win-install-2015.jpg

Sorry, been gone for a while so I had no idea how much things had changed.

Last I heard when I made my last rig the installation of an OS was somehow linked to the motherboard?

The question should be "do you" or "should you".

Do you? No it will probably still work. Should you? I think so.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your previous install wasn't done with AHCI mode and you try to boot your new mobo with default settings, it will most likely use AHCI and your boot attempt will bluescreen.

The short answer is that no, you don’t need to, but yes, you should. The reason why you should is to make diagnosis of crashes or performance issues down the road far easier, and to be sure that you will not encounter issues. If you are comfortable reinstalling if you encounter either of those issues, there isn’t anything stopping you from trying.

As far as licensing, you should take a look at System Builder Licensing and Windows system builder licensing for personal use.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Back