Updating M4 firmware. 0002 -> 0009

oshia86

Gawd
I tried everything last night to get a working cd image. I can't seem to get my computer to recognize it and boot from the cd. I hate to ask this, but can someone spell out the steps for this? I tried unzipping the file, and burning an image of the "boot" folder onto a cd (with its contents). I tried taking just the .img file and burning that file to a cd. Neither would work. The computer is already set to ide mode, set to boot to cd, yet I get nothing. Any ideas? I'm just betting I am not creating the cd correctly.

Edit: I've also tried just right clicking on the file and clicking "burn img to disc" or something of that nature, and it responds with "invalid img file". I've re-downloaded numerous times.

Last edited:
You need to create a bootable CD-ROM. You can't do that by the methods you described, just copying the file(s) onto a CD-ROM.
Try using the CD writing program ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/). Use the option "Write image file to disk".

Last edited:
You need to create a bootable CD-ROM. You can't do that by the methods you described, just copying the file(s) onto a CD-ROM.
Try using the CD writing program ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/). Use the option "Write image file to disk".

Sorry I was not more descriptive. This is what I did. I used ImgBurn and Ultraiso. Neither worked.

But did you use the option "Write image file to disk" or did you just burn the .img file as a file on the CD-R, because there is a significant difference between the two? Although, with ImgBurn you'll probably get a warning if you are trying to burn an .img file as a normal file.

Have you tried booting a know good bootable CD/DVD like a Windows or Linux install disk just to be sure the setting in de BIOS are correct and the drive is working correctly?

Also, as small as those images are, I HIGHLY recommend burning as slow as possible.

If you burn the iso to the disc, it just makes a copy of the ISO to the disc. Much like writing a text document or multiple files to the disc.

If you write the ISO to the disc, it extracts the ISO image (from one file on your machine) to the disc (most likely multiple files) and most of the time, the disc will be bootable by the system.

An ISO image is just a snapshot of what's on a disc or some folder structure that you wish to remain intact.

Try burning the image with a different computer if possible. Updating the firmware was pretty simple for me.

But did you use the option "Write image file to disk" or did you just burn the .img file as a file on the CD-R, because there is a significant difference between the two? Although, with ImgBurn you'll probably get a warning if you are trying to burn an .img file as a normal file.

Have you tried booting a know good bootable CD/DVD like a Windows or Linux install disk just to be sure the setting in de BIOS are correct and the drive is working correctly?

Also, as small as those images are, I HIGHLY recommend burning as slow as possible.

If you burn the iso to the disc, it just makes a copy of the ISO to the disc. Much like writing a text document or multiple files to the disc.

If you write the ISO to the disc, it extracts the ISO image (from one file on your machine) to the disc (most likely multiple files) and most of the time, the disc will be bootable by the system.

An ISO image is just a snapshot of what's on a disc or some folder structure that you wish to remain intact.

I did use the "write iso to disc" option, or whatever it's called. The first thing I did was try my Windows disc, and that booted fine. I'll double check it again tonight. Thanks guys.

All I did was use CD Burner XP to burn the iso. As others have suggested, try another pc. Or maybe theres a USB option you can try?

Are you sure you have firmware 0002? Everyone updated theirs months ago and all the drives have been shipped with 0009 for a while.

Are you sure you have firmware 0002? Everyone updated theirs months ago and all the drives have been shipped with 0009 for a while.
Ha, sweet! My 64GB is already 0009. The 128GB M4 I bought just a short time ago was not. Well, that makes that easy.

Back