Unstable System

HCLPfan

Gawd
So I have a desktop that has been working fine for a good 9+ months with no complains. The other day the fan on my HSF died so I swapped it with the stock one that came with my processor. Ever since then something has been screwey with my desktop.

It would boot up perfectly fine and be working until i gently bump the tower. Then the computer immediately would shut down or freeze and I'd have to shut it down myself. After this would happen the computer wouldn't POST until I did a CMOS reset and went through that whole process. Then the same thing would happen over again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Since it happens when the tower gets tilted/bumped I'm thinking maybe the OS drive is failing and the hit causes the head to skip? Or maybe there's some random screw i forgot about that's laying behind the mobo tray causing a short or something? I'm about to just take it apart and reassemble but any ideas would be great.

Could be a poor connection between your CPU and heatsink which is triggering a thermal event and causing your PC to shutdown. Check your CPU temps.

So you swapped out the CPU HSF for the stock one? Yah, might be a poor mount. What are your idle/load temps like? (use CoreTemp or RealTemp) If temps are fine, sounds like something is shorting out the system. Re-seat everything -- you may have inadvertently knocked something loose while performing the replacement. If that doesn't work, time to do a barebones bench test outside of the case (steps in sticky if needed). What was the old HSF? Did it have a backplate?

Temps are fine (about 36ºC) and the old HSF was this beast. I'm pretty sure that's not the issue though because it was literally an instant shutdown. There wasn't time for a CPU overheat or anything.

I ended up just reorganizing my desk so my case is on top and I can't accidentally kick it anymore, heh. Seems to be working fine now. I do miss my footrest tho..

Back