Unreal released an editor for Fortnite

This is a great move.

This seems to be the engine feature enabling this.
https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/1292-cooked-editor

It'll be interesting to see if other studios using the engine actually lean into this functionality. This seems to scream "modding support" to me.

Also, Verse, their new scripting language they're seemingly testing here, has some nasty syntax. WTF.

Code:
OnBegin<override>()<suspends>:void=       
    Print("Hello, world!")

Like they really couldn't concoct a cleaner way to define a function that overrides its base and returns nothing?

Like they really couldn't concoct a cleaner way to define a function that overrides its base and returns nothing?
Every jackwagon that wants to create their own language has to do things differently from everyone else.

They've had that for a while now. There are shitloads of custom games that people have made similar to what people do with Roblox. Fornite is basically becoming the "metaverse" that other companies like Meta (facebook) are trying and failing to create.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeWW5cbl1ig

Epic themselves have also made their own custom games. These play nothing like regular Fortnite, they're basically just completely new games sharing some of the assets.

Lego Fortnite, it's a co-op survival game. There's a million people playing just Lego Fotnite right now. More people are playing it than Counter-Strike 2, the top game on Steam.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEI63vFCGd0

They've also made a racing game and some other games.

1702407510432.png

They've had that for a while now. There are shitloads of custom games that people have made similar to what people do with Roblox. Fornite is basically becoming the "metaverse" that other companies like Meta (facebook) are trying and failing to create.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeWW5cbl1ig

Epic themselves have also made their own custom games. These play nothing like regular Fortnite, they're basically just completely new games sharing some of the assets.

Lego Fortnite, it's a co-op survival game. There's a million people playing just Lego Fotnite right now. More people are playing it than Counter-Strike 2, the top game on Steam.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEI63vFCGd0

They've also made a racing game and some other games.

View attachment 619737

Oh man, having flashbacks to UT modding and total conversions.

Some servers just seemed to have endless maps. There was just so much content for those games. Weapons, maps, mutators, entirely new games...

Except it's been getting harder and harder for mere mortals and hobbyists to produce this stuff. Unreal is a _behemoth_ these days. It's great if Epic can prove their tools are not only powerful, but accessible enough to capture that kind of community again.

Oh man, having flashbacks to UT modding and total conversions.

Some servers just seemed to have endless maps. There was just so much content for those games. Weapons, maps, mutators, entirely new games...

Except it's been getting harder and harder for mere mortals and hobbyists to produce this stuff. Unreal is a _behemoth_ these days. It's great if Epic can prove their tools are not only powerful, but accessible enough to capture that kind of community again.

Ultima Trilogy didn't have any total conversions. I would know if it did.

I certainly did play Fortnite for a bit. I "got good" at it, and ensured that I was actually understanding it before critiquing it. It's quite popular, so it's easy to hate it, but I actually found it a fun, decent game that kept me interested in it about as long as any game ought to. I hope it stays around for awhile, because although at the moment, I'm playing other games, I will probably want to try Fortnite again in the future, simply due to its casual nature, but not for awhile. Give me a year or two, and then maybe I'll get into it again. I've got a long list of other games to play, so something repetitive like Fortnite ought to not be the only game a person plays. Fortnite feels fair, where an intelligent strategy along with quick reflexes actually benefits you.

I certainly did play Fortnite for a bit. I "got good" at it, and ensured that I was actually understanding it before critiquing it. It's quite popular, so it's easy to hate it, but I actually found it a fun, decent game that kept me interested in it about as long as any game ought to. I hope it stays around for awhile, because although at the moment, I'm playing other games, I will probably want to try Fortnite again in the future, simply due to its casual nature, but not for awhile. Give me a year or two, and then maybe I'll get into it again. I've got a long list of other games to play, so something repetitive like Fortnite ought to not be the only game a person plays. Fortnite feels fair, where an intelligent strategy along with quick reflexes actually benefits you.
I gather it has a high skill ceiling too. I'm going to try it out soon finally, methinks.

I gather it has a high skill ceiling too. I'm going to try it out soon finally, methinks.
It has an extremely high ceiling. Aim is important, but most of it has to do with how quickly you can build and edit buildings. In other BRs if you get unlucky with the circle (or just play stupid) you just die with no chance. In Fortnite you can build your way out of any bad luck.

I used to play a lot when it was new and got good enough that I had a 25% win rate. But top players now are 10X better than they were 5 years ago. But they have matchmaking and ranked now so you don't have to worry about getting stomped by them.

Back