Unlocking Bulldozer modules/cores?

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here bit the bullet and got a 6xxx or 4xxx and if it was possible to unlock the locked modules at this time. Especially interested if MSI's 990FXA-GD65 is able to do it as well as enable/disable individual cores separately from modules.

Given the current shitty GloFo yields, you'd be damn lucky to be able to do it.

official BIOS support for Bulldozer FX is still pending for many AM3+ motherboards.

Given the current shitty GloFo yields, you'd be damn lucky to be able to do it.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if the process works, but I'd imagine that this early in the process, a 6 core FX is more likely to be so because one module is bad, rather than because all modules were good,but they needed some 6 core models to sell so they disabled it anyway, like they do later down the road...

That being said, sometimes unlocking is aided my higher voltage. One module could be bad at the desired voltages AMD wants to sell them at, but if you crank it up you can get them all to work.

I think we will have to wait and see on this, as more people test them out.

considering the shortage of 8150's right now i doubt they would intentionally scrap a high end part for a lower end

considering the shortage of 8150's right now i doubt they would intentionally scrap a high end part for a lower end

It's amazing to me that there is a shortage after the miserable launch reviews it received :p

Zarathustra[H];1037879867 said:
It's amazing to me that there is a shortage after the miserable launch reviews it received :p

i think its horrible performance/power consumption and yields is the reason behind the shortages.

reguardless of how it performs theres people out there that jumped on it because its new.

but horrible yields from GF ment the actual 8 core parts were already in short supply so the effect trickled down to the dealers in that they had so few to begin woth they easily got gobbled up by the fanboys or other missinformed buyers about its real perf.

i wasnt too suprised to find them sold out tho will give me more time to decide on what to do with my CHV im so ready to sell it and get a 2600k but i might stick with my 955BE

just feels like a waste to try and sell my CHV when i just got it in august. man AMD knows how to kill an upgrade buzz

i think its horrible performance/power consumption and yields is the reason behind the shortages.

reguardless of how it performs theres people out there that jumped on it because its new.

but horrible yields from GF ment the actual 8 core parts were already in short supply so the effect trickled down to the dealers in that they had so few to begin woth they easily got gobbled up by the fanboys or other missinformed buyers about its real perf.

i wasnt too suprised to find them sold out tho will give me more time to decide on what to do with my CHV im so ready to sell it and get a 2600k but i might stick with my 955BE

just feels like a waste to try and sell my CHV when i just got it in august. man AMD knows how to kill an upgrade buzz

Call me silly, but I am still considering sticking with BD. It may not be as fast as we had hoped, but I still think its plenty fast for what I do and the games I play.

I would just hate to have to buy anything from Intel.

im still sorta tempted to pick up an 8120 i mean if i dont end up liking it i can always sell it with my CHV

im still curious to see how the final release of BF3 will turn out and if its going to add more multi threaded support in the final version or not, who knows that could be where the chip will shine a little and BF3 perf trumps other game perf. atleast to me.

its just BD ended up being worst than the worst case scenario i had planned. lol

i was hoping for 5ghz with a small IPC improvement per core, worst case scenario for me was 5ghz with no ipc improvements per core.

but it ended up with less ipc per core and now im not certain ill even get 5ghz out of it with an h100. and if i do get 5ghz out of it my psu might melt too.

if i do pick it up i might just get a new psu while im at it so i can make sure its getting power from both 8pins and make sure the beast is fed and then put my 955BE and my old psu in a system for my sister. since she is still using a single core cpu lol...

Zarathustra[H];1037891671 said:
How are you liking it? Is it hitting 4.5-4.6 like in the review?

i havnt gotten to overclock it yet, i dont want to with the stock hsf. im waiting till my h100 comes back from RMA.

but imo at stock its blowing away my 955BE.

i havnt seen the 8120 go above 3.4ghz and my 955BE has been stock the past week or so also which is 3.2ghz but in one of the games im playing which is not Multi threaded the fps average went up from 60-70fps to easily sitting around 100fps. i really cant explain why it runs the game so much better than the 955 because even when i had my 955 at 4ghz i dont remember it running this smooth. unfortunately i cant say what game it is tho :eek:

i really cant wait for my h100 to get back here i want to shoot for 5ghz.

Back