UniFi AP question

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I set up a bunch of these and I'm not "real" happy with the speeds I am seeing. Sitting virtually on top of the AP I am only seeing about 4Mbps... real world(mounted on ceiling and a bit away) I am only seeing like 2.5Mbps.

Is this "normal"??

I am guessing the Pro would be substantially faster (450Mbps over the 300 on the regular units)

I have an AC66U and I'm seeing 7.5ish Mbps sitting on top of the unit in 2.4Ghz mode, which still isn't that great, but sure beats half that! :D

Not sure if it was a "smart" move... but I changed my AP's to HT40 and medium power transmission instead of full, and my speeds are about 4Mbps real world, instead of 2.5Mbps.

#1 - is that a good idea to do? (change to HT40)
#2 - is 4Mbps reasonable?

I have the standard AP's and I get great speed through the house. Perhaps its a setting in config or something? I would ask on the ubnt forums - they are very active.

QwertyJuan

I think you are confusing MBps with Mbps.

MBps is MegaBytes per second
Mbps is MegaBits per second

So if you connect to a Unifi UAP at 144Mbps you should be able to download around 8MBps

Downloading at 2.5MBps is exactly what you would see with a 54Mbps connection. If you do that could be part of the problem.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the assumed details above.

What are your configured settings on the Unifi? Specifically the channel being used?
What is the channel that the AC66U is configured to use?
Did you performed a site survey, before you setup your Unifi?
Since you are seeing only 4Mbps I would assume that you're connecting at 72Mbps?
That makes me think you might be using a Dell Laptop or a early model tablet?
Do you have many wireless G devices around and connected to the AP?

Not sure if it was a "smart" move... but I changed my AP's to HT40 and medium power transmission instead of full, and my speeds are about 4Mbps real world, instead of 2.5Mbps.

#1 - is that a good idea to do? (change to HT40)
#2 - is 4Mbps reasonable?

#1 no in many cases, perform a site survey and get it to work in HT20 first

#2 that's terrible.

Sorry, my capitalization is getting the best of me... I definately know the difference.

Let me rephrase that... is 4MBps reasonable?

Sorry, my capitalization is getting the best of me... I definately know the difference.

Let me rephrase that... is 4MBps reasonable?

It's not unreasonable. You should be able to see ~ 10 MB/s on 2.4 connected at 300Mbps. That is absolute best case scenario. No other devices communicating, no interfernce, etc. If you are connecting at 150 or 144, those speeds look about right.

With an Intel card (2x2) on a regular Unifi AP, I was seeing 10MB/s connected at 300Mbps. Again, it was the only device on the AP and barely any interference around.

What speed are you connecting at? Also is your wireless card 1x1, 2x2, 3x3? The Unifi APs (Regular version) are 2x2 MIMO.

It's not unreasonable. You should be able to see ~ 10 MB/s on 2.4 connected at 300Mbps. That is absolute best case scenario. No other devices communicating, no interfernce, etc. If you are connecting at 150 or 144, those speeds look about right.

With an Intel card (2x2) on a regular Unifi AP, I was seeing 10MB/s connected at 300Mbps. Again, it was the only device on the AP and barely any interference around.

What speed are you connecting at? Also is your wireless card 1x1, 2x2, 3x3? The Unifi APs (Regular version) are 2x2 MIMO.

How do I tell what speed I am connecting at?? :confused:

I recall Windows XP telling me my connection speed, but def. don't see it here on Windows 7. All it says is 802.11n signal strength excellent.

wireless network connection status window.

Open the network and sharing Center

Left click on your wireless connection and the wireless network connection status window should be shown.

Also evidently get much better results than /usr/home, as I frequently measure 16MBps on a 300Mbps connection.

But I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to tweaking and setting things up correctly.

Since you have not performed a survey... you might want to download this: http://www.ampedwireless.com/wifianalytics/ and take a couple of screen shots (2.4Ghz screen) with your laptop where you usually sit.

Its a rebranded version of inSSIDer but its free.

Yup... says 135Mbps on my laptop and says 150Mbps on the all-in-one sitting in my office.

How do I check it on OSX??

Yes, I get better results on 2.4Ghz than 5Ghz surprisingly.

It could be that I'm now using an Unifi AC. The 5Ghz code is still being tweaked.

Something definitely is not right. I have a single AP in my basement mounted on the ceiling facing down (looks better that way :p ) and from upstairs if I turn up a FTP server on my phone I get 4-10MBps (for some reason the numbers jump all over the place, probably about 6MB average) for uploading, and same for downloading. So that's about 72mbps. Interestingly those APs are rated at 300mbps but you will never see that in the real world. Theoretically the most you could ever see is 100mbps as that's what the uplink is.

QwertyJuan

I have been unable to view your pic, using two different browers and two different machines.

We've covered this before but wireless essentially runs half duplex, so your actual duplex throughput usually ends up around 50% the link speed minus the protocol overhead.

144Mbps wireless N AES WPA2 has about 80Mbps or 10MBps of usable unidirectional throughput .

are you using zero handoff group for your APs? which model do you have? what controller version are u running?

1. I thought zero hand-off was enabled by default... if not, I have no idea, as I don't see that as an option.

2. 2.4.6 - the latest one on UniFi's site.

ZH is not enabled in 2.x.x. its only available in beta 3.x software
which model are your APs?

What is ZH anyhow??

Also, they are just "regular" AP's... I have ONE Pro... but speeds are slightly better... about 8MB/sec sitting on the AP(like on the other end of my desk), and about 4.5MB/sec real world usage.

ZH is zero handoff basically all your APs are configured as part of wifi group and on same channel. devices are able to roam freely between access points. so one AP can pass you to another AP as needed.

I'm not really familiar with 2.x releases as I started deploying on 3.1.4 release. We have about 15 of these deployed to various sites and all seem to be working fine. We only deploy UAP LR models though.

when you go to the access point list in the controller software are all of them same firmware version?

Yes... all the same firmware.....

So would you say it's safe to use the 3.x software??

hmm well its beta. but other than that we have no issues with it running at 6 of our clients.

Yes, I knew it was beta and kinda why I was avoiding it... but if people are using and having good luck??

Also, when the FINAL release comes out, I wouldn't have to re-adopt, etc... just upgrade??

Unless you are itching to try out ZH, I'd stay on the old one. The beta is very much a beta, there are some issues. They are getting close to a RC supposedly.

Back