Undervolting PhsyX Card?

blade52x

2[H]4U
Is it possible to do this? I have a GTX 480 (overkill I know, but I just didn't want to sell it) and I'd like to undervolt the card so that it gives off less heat when being used. MSI AB wasn't letting me adjust the core voltage slider.

Is anyone able to undervolt their cards? I'd just like to know if this is a small issue on my end.

Make sure you have "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" checked in Afterburner's settings. I was definitely able to adjust the voltage on my 480s when I had them.

I was able to adjust voltage on the 480 when it was the GPU, not PhysX card. Now I cannot. The option is grayed out in AB.

I can adjust clocks, but that's not what I'm wanting to do. I know that would reduce power a little bit, but not nearly as much as dropping stock voltage.

Even if you can do it, I don't really thing you SHOULD do it. Under volting the card is probably more dangerous to it's health than over volting it would be.

Undervolting isn't dangerous at all. If the GPU can run stable using less volts you are putting less pressure on the power circuitry and the core. The card will make less heat and endure less thermal stress. If anything undervolting will make a GPU last longer.

I was able to adjust voltage on the 480 when it was the GPU, not PhysX card. Now I cannot. The option is grayed out in AB.

If you don't mind going to the trouble then flash the BIOS. That will probably work. You can use Afterburner to monitor the voltage and see if it is being applied.

why dont you just get a bios editor and set it to what you want by flashing the card to a custom bios you made! super easy to do. i am sure this would let you do what you are looking for

Back