underclocking

TehQuick

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I wonder since the latest videocards run a little too hot when not used in 3d apps (in 50-60c range), what would be the benefits or problems with underclocking ur card while in 2d (windows)? Is it possible to damage ur card that way? If u do underclock for 2d use, what ratio do u use? is it 50%? 25% of the stock gpu/mem?

TehQuick said:
Hey guys, I wonder since the latest videocards run a little too hot when not used in 3d apps (in 50-60c range), what would be the benefits or problems with underclocking ur card while in 2d (windows)? Is it possible to damage ur card that way? If u do underclock for 2d use, what ratio do u use? is it 50%? 25% of the stock gpu/mem?
Of course you can underclock, but what's the point? The chip is made to run that hot reliably, so it's not a problem.

But I wish OTES would have caught on more for stock cooling. Dumping a lot of heat inside the case is pointless.

rayg said:
i tried it and the idle temp actually rose 10 degrees
what was ur gpu, and which clock did u change (gpu or mem or both)?

I thought that VGA silencer was based on OTES principle, I guess it's not :D

pxc said:
Of course you can underclock, but what's the point? The chip is made to run that hot reliably, so it's not a problem.

But I wish OTES would have caught on more for stock cooling. Dumping a lot of heat inside the case is pointless.
Too many people whined about losing a pci slot....with motherboards these days having everything but the kitchen sink onboard who even uses half their slots anymore?

Back