Underclocking s939 x2 4200

csnv

Limp Gawd
to remove all cooling/fan from it. Just bare chip, anyone know if it is possible?

I'm willing to take it all the way down to super-turtle-slow speed if i have to ;)..

Won't work. Maybe if you have a huge heatpipe heatsink and low rpm fan it would work. What is the point to this? Just to kill the chip?

Might also want to make sure it has thermal shutdown so the chip doesn't smoke on you like the old Athlon XP's, that magic smoke is costly!

Oh... i was thinking of building a quiet NAS, no fan at all.. but that probably wont work.

Depends on the heatsink. They can clock down to 800mhz ~1.0 or lower vcore. I can't remember the lowest I had mine but it was pretty low.
I was able to run mine fan less up to about 2.0ghz BUT not at 100% load (I cant remember the vcore, think it was ~1.15?). Gaming etc... was fine but orthos or dual prime95s would get it really hot. In those days I was using an XP90c though. I am sure with my TRUE It wouldn't be such an issue.

With ZERO case air flow though other parts will also get hot. It might be ok if the case has a lot of air holes so the heat can move out on its own. Maybe a lot of mesh etc... A typical case with just a couple fan holes will be an oven.

This is doable with a large heatsink and severe underclocking/volting. As long as the room where this is kept is reasonably cool (no shoe closets), it should be okay running around 800Mhz and down to 0.6-0.7V. It would be much easier however, to just add 1 very slow moving fan. Any air movement helps a lot.

With ZERO case air flow though other parts will also get hot. It might be ok if the case has a lot of air holes so the heat can move out on its own. Maybe a lot of mesh etc... A typical case with just a couple fan holes will be an oven.

how about a case without covers? I don't mind.. but also see the next comment ..;)

This is doable with a large heatsink and severe underclocking/volting. As long as the room where this is kept is reasonably cool (no shoe closets), it should be okay running around 800Mhz and down to 0.6-0.7V. It would be much easier however, to just add 1 very slow moving fan. Any air movement helps a lot.

Lol.. you read my mind. I was going to put it in the corner along with my router/modem closet!...

Back