Under Pressure From Gamers, Intel Pulls Advertising From Gamasutra

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the third option?

You sincerely believe that gaming is the one place that people are not going to be subjected to toxic speech on the basis of their race, religion, or sex?

You really believe that when you're playing a game with a homosexual, woman, or racial minority that someone else isn't going to start talking shit about that status in order to get under their skin?

That's what he claimed. You agree with him?

No that isn't what I claimed. You need to learn to read without bias, because right now you are looking like yet another SJW looking to create an issue out of nothing.

I just don't think gaming is any more severe than any other anonymous environment, aka the internet. I saw it happen in WoW from time to time. Woman gets on vent and just gets harassed. There was also a guy who sounded like a retard and got harassed too. Saw similar shit happen years ago on that cesspool of a forum, genmay. It's just an anonymous thing--when people feel there aren't repercussions, they'll push the limits. I don't think gaming is any better or worse than the internet in general.
I'm not saying whether it's more or less severe than other anonymous spaces. I was responding to Dekoth-E claiming gaming was the one place that discrimination doesn't exist.

You are looking to create a Race/Sex/Religion issue in the One place in this world where discrimination largely doesn't exist. In the world of competitive gaming, Every single person is treated like shit and insulted the same way.

Since he doesn't have any way to defend that statement he's decided to resort to personal attacks like his comment directly above this post of mine.

I'm not saying whether it's more or less severe than other anonymous spaces. I was responding to Dekoth-E claiming gaming was the one place that discrimination doesn't exist.

Whoops--that's what i get for joining in a conversation already in progress ><

Since he doesn't have any way to defend that statement he's decided to resort to personal attacks like his comment directly above this post of mine.

Saying that you are "appearing" to fit in a certain descriptor isn't a personal attack. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you consider SJW a "personal attack". I suppose self-hatred and progressivism do go hand-in-hand, though.

What is the third option?

You sincerely believe that gaming is the one place that people are not going to be subjected to toxic speech on the basis of their race, religion, or sex?

You really believe that when you're playing a game with a homosexual, woman, or racial minority that someone else isn't going to start talking shit about that status in order to get under their skin?

That's what he claimed. You agree with him?

This is just comical. You seriously haven't gotten this yet?

The point being made is that EVERYONE is subject to harrassment and vitriol in the anonymous, competitive activity known as online gaming. Complaining about it and pretending you're the only victim is pathetic.

It's more interesting that the first time 'SJW' was used on this forum was in September, 2013 and Stiletto seems to have swallowed that term wholesale (the first response after the use of the term) and he, along with a small handful of others, have used that term pejoratively in response to any posts that they don't fit their groupthink.

You sure look like critical thinkers when you get together and repeatedly chant the same bullshit.

This is just comical. You seriously haven't gotten this yet?

The point being made is that EVERYONE is subject to harrassment and vitriol in the anonymous, competitive activity known as online gaming. Complaining about it and pretending you're the only victim is pathetic.
You either believe that discrimination exists among online gamers or you don't.

Trying to distract the conversation to the more general claim that everyone gets harassed doesn't support his incorrect statement that some people experience discrimination and abuse based on their sex, religion, and/or racial status.

He said they don't, I say they do. Anyone who has spent any amount of time, and is being honest about the topic, knows that discrimination and abuse toward minorities does exist among online gamers.

It's more interesting that the first time 'SJW' was used on this forum was in September, 2013 and Stiletto seems to have swallowed that term wholesale (the first response after the use of the term) and he, along with a small handful of others, have used that term pejoratively in response to any posts that they don't fit their groupthink.

You sure look like critical thinkers when you get together and repeatedly chant the same bullshit.

First time I've used the term and how I used it was referring to your constant evasion of what was "Actually" said vs what you are trying to twist it into. I did not call you a SJW, but you sure as hell are acting like one.

You either believe that discrimination exists among online gamers or you don't.

Trying to distract the conversation to the more general claim that everyone gets harassed doesn't support his incorrect statement that some people experience discrimination and abuse based on their sex, religion, and/or racial status.

He said they don't, I say they do. Anyone who has spent any amount of time, and is being honest about the topic, knows that discrimination and abuse toward minorities does exist among online gamers.

And the evasion and or complete ignorance of what was actually said continues. I am beginning to believe my earlier conclusion may have been spot on. You don't seem interested in engaging in any real debate here.

Or maybe you're surrounded (mostly) by rational thinkers that, instead of wasting their time elaborating on what exact specific type of crazy you're spouting, they simply label you the umbrella term that everyone understands. You are quite literally (another overused term these days too! UH OH!), what defines the stereotypical SJW. All you have to do now is say you're Jewish and you've got every base covered in the stereotype. One could argue you're a troll account being this skewed just to get a rise out of people.

And the evasion and or complete ignorance of what was actually said continues. I am beginning to believe my earlier conclusion may have been spot on. You don't seem interested in engaging in any real debate here.
Quit trying to bullshit your way out of what you wrote earlier...unless you are going to argue that you didn't actually say that discrimination does not exist in online gaming.

Did you or did you not write:

People are trying to raise misogyny in terms of automatic guilt and disqualification of opinion that the accusation of racism has been given. "Coincidentally" just in time to do for Hillary what threatening the race card and unscrutinized accusations of racism have done for Obama.

Quit trying to bullshit your way out of what you wrote earlier...unless you are going to argue that you didn't actually say that discrimination does not exist in online gaming.

You continue to ignore the point that EVERYONE gets shit talked in gaming. You argue that somehow LGBT, women, and black people aren't equal and that they should be treated differently than straight white males. You're the sexist/racist/prejudice one here.

Did you or did you not write:

Context is everything..Read the word before the word "doesn't". It is what we call a "quantifier" in that it changes the scope of the term it is attached to, or the word or the last part of the sentence if you still don't get it. Saying something largely doesn't exist doesn't preclude it from happening entirely. I simply stated it isn't nearly as rampant in regards to the (Very specific and targeted at someone BECAUSE of a specific reason) manner that so many are trying to claim it does. Or at the very least if it does then it is in pretty specific communities.

You know what, I'm done here. After reading some of the atrocious and ignorant posts in this thread, I have no desire whatsoever to be a part of this community or associate myself with the people in it.

Leave Date: 10-08-2014

Goodbye, [H]ard|Forum.

They don't have anything left to say so their comments are going to become increasingly ridiculous and juvenile.

Do you purposefully misinterpret statements? To be clear you, you are acting like the stereotypes that the types from 4chan or whatever have made, yet insist on insulting me and otbers for pointing out how you (so skillfully) twist words around to fit your ideology. To that effect and your choice of stance on many issues, you seem like you are no different than creepyunclegoogle. A running joke of ignorance. There is nothjng left to be said to you about the issue cuz you never bothered to address it (you know... gamer gate and not the engineered derailments).

It's more interesting that the first time 'SJW' was used on this forum was in September, 2013

Not really that interesting. It's a fairly new concept.

and Stiletto seems to have swallowed that term wholesale

That's because I was using it before you and the rest of the forum knew it. GamerGate is pretty much the reason most people know it now.

and he, along with a small handful of others, have used that term pejoratively in response to any posts that they don't fit their groupthink.

The irony in your assertion is contemptible considering that SJWs made their bones by taking over geek and nerd communities and shouting down anyone with opposing views, and doing their damnedest to ensure that anyone who disagreed with them suffered in some way. They screamed and cried when Shadow Complex, based on the works of Orson Scott Card, was released back in 2009...because 20 years earlier, Card had stated that he was against gay marriage. They called for boycotts of everything related with Card and for him to be ostracized from the Sci-Fi community. SJWs have also chased people out of sci-fi and writing communities for challenging any prevailing left-wing "wisdom".

The simple fact of the matter is that you yourself are an SJW, in that you reject with derision any possibility that anything you don't believe could possibly have even a grain of truth to it. You reject the label simply because you realize it's critical theory being deployed against the critical theorists. Enjoy the taste of your own medicine.

You know what, I'm done here. After reading some of the atrocious and ignorant posts in this thread, I have no desire whatsoever to be a part of this community or associate myself with the people in it.

Goodbye, [H]ard|Forum.

*blots tears with silk cloth, lays cloth in margarita glass, puts in refrigerator*

Those will be delicious later. Nothing more mellifluous than the weeping of the closed-minded.

Racism, sexism, what ever other isms you can think of can not exist in a vacuum. I.E. they can not exist in a truly anonymous environment. I could say the most vile racist things here and they can't be taken as actual racism because no known target exists.

The mistakes that are being made here by people who feel that gamers are all vile disgusting racists, sexists, misogynists, homophobic are forgetting that most of the words used to describe these groups in hateful ways have been assimilated into the general lexicon of trash talking and insults.

If for example I was against gay marriage, and you were for gay marriage. What makes your opinion any more correct than mine? Other than your belief that I am a bigot and a homophobic. You would be making a judgement that I am a horrible person because I do not agree with your views. You would make a rash judgement that I must hate gay people. What if the only reason I didn't support gay marriage was because single people pay more taxes than married people do? Your beliefs could be founded in your rash judgments and hatred of people who do not agree with you. So the logical loop will never end because people make judgments of others with out even taking the time to find out why people believe what they do.

Racism, sexism, what ever other isms you can think of can not exist in a vacuum. I.E. they can not exist in a truly anonymous environment. I could say the most vile racist things here and they can't be taken as actual racism because no known target exists.

I can't really say I agree with this. If a bunch of white guys are sitting around talking about how "black people are evil", that's still racism even though there is no specific target. Same with MRAs who sit around talking about how "women are evil"...that's still misogyny even though no specific woman was targeted.

Also, oftentimes online people can determine whether or not someone is male or female (over voice chat, with pictures/video proof, etc.) so it's not 100% anonymous. It seems like you're saying that if you aren't sure someone is a woman online, but you make misogynist remarks, it's not misogyny because it may or may not be a woman? I don't think so.

Racism and sexism only exist if anonymity is taken away? Wow. How do some of you people figure out how to put on pants in the morning?

I can't really say I agree with this. If a bunch of white guys are sitting around talking about how "black people are evil", that's still racism even though there is no specific target. Same with MRAs who sit around talking about how "women are evil"...that's still misogyny even though no specific woman was targeted.

Also, oftentimes online people can determine whether or not someone is male or female (over voice chat, with pictures/video proof, etc.) so it's not 100% anonymous. It seems like you're saying that if you aren't sure someone is a woman online, but you make misogynist remarks, it's not misogyny because it may or may not be a woman? I don't think so.

The situations you present are not vacuum situations even though they are weak attempts at proving a point. A vacuum situation would be for example me sitting at a desk writing a blog and using language that people would find vile, disgusting, racist. or whatever the buzz words of the day are. There can be no isms in this writing because the writing itself has no directed target. Isms exist in a time a place where actions or words have direct impacts on specifics.

You use the term MRAs, which in of itself is a derogatory term in the context of this conversation because you are using it to project onto people who do not agree with your point of view and are painting them as vile human beings simply because they challenge your world view.

The fact that people let words rile them up so much to me is the biggest issue here. the fact that society has gotten to a point where some people are allowed to use some words while others aren't is despicable to me. If we all just quit being so butt hurt and just accepted the fact that some people are just vile assholes we would all be much better off.

^Yes.

If you are anonymous, they may say things you think are racist, but they are saying it without knowing you are being offended because of your race or aiming it at you because they want to offend you because of it.

If they don't know that you're black, white, asian, they can only guess your race, if they even bother with that. There s a difference between just saying things that may be racist, and saying things with the intent of racism. Both can be hurtful, but they are in different context.

Racism and sexism only exist if anonymity is taken away? Wow. How do some of you people figure out how to put on pants in the morning?

If we all lived in a state of true anonymity racism, sexism, and other isms wouldn't exist. Because they couldn't exist. How? Because no one would know. You couldn't possibly know anything about anyone.

The level of intelligence on this forum is way lower than I thought it was.

The situations you present are not vacuum situations even though they are weak attempts at proving a point. A vacuum situation would be for example me sitting at a desk writing a blog and using language that people would find vile, disgusting, racist. or whatever the buzz words of the day are. There can be no isms in this writing because the writing itself has no directed target. Isms exist in a time a place where actions or words have direct impacts on specifics.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. -Isms absolutely exist even with no clear "target".

You use the term MRAs, which in of itself is a derogatory term in the context of this conversation because you are using it to project onto people who do not agree with your point of view and are painting them as vile human beings simply because they challenge your world view.

You mean, exactly like the people in here throwing around the term SJW?

The thing I dislike about the MRA mindset is that it's demonstrably bullshit. Male privilege is a proven concept, whereas the inverse (female privilege?) is completely made-up. We live in a world where on a daily basis we see women being oppressed (birth control, abortion rights, etc.) and yet these jokers think it's the other way around? Give me a break.

Goodbye, [H]ard|Forum.

Oh, you mean the racist, sexist, and hateful posts made by all of the feminists and SJW's on Twitter and the articles?
Yeah, that would make me want to leave those sites, too, but why leave [H]ard? :confused:

Unless of course, you agree with those people, then of course, cya, wouldn't wanna be ya. ;)

The level of intelligence on this forum is way lower than I thought it was.

Yes, it is. When all people do is call others name and insult others instead of trying to refute or discuss the argument.

The thing I dislike about the MRA mindset is that it's demonstrably bullshit. Male privilege is a proven concept, whereas the inverse (female privilege?) is completely made-up. We live in a world where on a daily basis we see women being oppressed (birth control, abortion rights, etc.) and yet these jokers think it's the other way around? Give me a break.

We could go back and forth all day spouting examples of how unfair each gender's lives are, and we would not change each other's OPINIONS, which is what you are claiming as FACT.

We don't think its the other way around, we know that each gender has its own share of bullshit they have to deal with. In my opinion, the key difference is that women bitch about it far more.

You mean, exactly like the people in here throwing around the term SJW?

There's an amazing amount of irony in people getting outraged about the label "SJW" being used.

The thing I dislike about the MRA mindset is that it's demonstrably bullshit.

Because men have no rights and if women can use the law to fuck them over for life, who cares, right? Male privilege will keep them warm in their prison cell.

We don't think its the other way around, we know that each gender has its own share of bullshit they have to deal with. In my opinion, the key difference is that women bitch about it far more.

That is not what MRAs believe, but okay. I'm not saying that both genders don't have bullshit they have to deal with, but that is not what the MRA movement is about.

There's an amazing amount of irony in people getting outraged about the label "SJW" being used.

When you use it as a derogatory term, what do you expect? :rolleyes:

Because men have no rights and if women can use the law to fuck them over for life, who cares, right? Male privilege will keep them warm in their prison cell.

Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back