Unable to set 2560x1600 on XFX6970 2GB and Samsung 305t

AceGoober

Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!
Installed a brand new XFX 6970 2GB in rig-in-sig using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Latest 11.2 AMD Catylist installed. Previous video card was a Palit GTX 460.

I've Googled for the last 90 minutes and haven't found a solution to my issue.

The max res the drivers will allow me to set is 1280 x 800. Any attempts to set a higher resolution results in a blank screen and the hard drive light blinking ever second or so.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. Uninstalled all nVidia drivers,
2. Ran Driver Sweeper to remove residual nVidia drivers and registry entries,
3. Shut down fully,
4. Unplugged power cord,
5. Pressed start button to dissipate any stored electricity,
6. Swapped cards while wearing a grounding bracelet,
7. Powered on system,
8. Booted into Windows at 800 x 600,
9. Installed ATI Catylist 11.2,
10. Rebooted,
11. System performs POST, shows startup, blanks with hard drive light blinking every second,
12. Reset,
13. Booted into Windows @ 640x480,
14. Reinstalled Catylist 11.2,
15. Rebooted,
16. Same issue as # 11,
17. Experimented with resolutions - unable to set higher than 1280 x 800.

I'm still searching for a solution but thought maybe someone here might know what the solution is.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

Last edited:
Using the top or bottom port? One of the two DVI links on the Cayman reference boards is only single link DVI.

I wonder if something is wrong with the 6970? Other than that, power related? The 460 is 6/6 while the 6970 is 6/8 right? are using an adapter or does PCP&C have an 8 pin?

Top port as mounted in the machine. This is the port that is on the same plane as the HDMI / Mini-HDMI connectors.

Detects the monitor correctly and shows that the maximum resolution reported by the monitor is 2560 x 1600.

I wonder if something is wrong with the 6970? Other than that, power related? The 460 is 6/6 while the 6970 is 6/8 right? are using an adapter or does PCP&C have an 8 pin?

hmmmm... sound silly, but remove the AMD drivers from the system using the AMD uninstaller, then goto dev manager to remove the AMD drivers (and check the one checkbox that comes up). Reboot. Let windows install reference AMD drivers from the net, test to see if it works now, then reboot again before install latest CCC.

After the AMD reference drivers were installed, tested and still only goes to 1280 x 800.

hmmmm... sound silly, but remove the AMD drivers from the system using the AMD uninstaller, then goto dev manager to remove the AMD drivers (and check the one checkbox that comes up). Reboot. Let windows install reference AMD drivers from the net, test to see if it works now, then reboot again before install latest CCC.

It's like the card is only recognizing single link mode and not dual-link. Really strange since the cable is full DVI-D...

Set an Acer P244W up on the dual-link port. Runs native at 1920 x 1080, no issues whatsoever.

Connected to the single-link port, same thing, runs native 1920 x 1080.

Submitted support ticket to XFX. Hopefully XFX will be able to resolve the issue.

Set an Acer P244W up on the dual-link port. Runs native at 1920 x 1080, no issues whatsoever.

Connected to the single-link port, same thing, runs native 1920 x 1080.

1920x1080 is single link.. 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 is dual link.

but my guess is its something weird with the monitor. ATI drivers are a bit more picky about stuff like that.

you could also check and see if windows is installing the correct display drivers instead of the generic drivers.. that might help but thats just a guess at this point.

1920x1200 is actually single link as well...my guess is the Gpu is faulty as u could have gotten a lemon w. 2 single link david connections

Since I assume the op hasn't changed the cables since switching from the 460 to the 6970

The symptoms he's having points to cable. If he's using the cable that was included with the monitor, most likely it's a single link from what I gather from google search. Others had similar issues and replacing the cable resolves it. What really throws a curve ball in all this is the fact that he had it running at native resolution with the nvidia card.

The cable is verified DVI-D. The connector types on both ends match the DVI-D connectors as listed on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

The symptoms he's having points to cable. If he's using the cable that was included with the monitor, most likely it's a single link from what I gather from google search. Others had similar issues and replacing the cable resolves it. What really throws a curve ball in all this is the fact that he had it running at native resolution with the nvidia card.

I suppose the cable could be faulty so I'll run down to Radio Shack after work and pick-up a DVI-D cable from there.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. :)

Assuming neither port works (only the top port is dual link remember), then it's either the cable or the card. Try cable first.

Changed cables, no change in resolution selection. Tried various AMD/ATI drivers from 10.xx up. Still no change.

I'm done troubleshooting. Card is going back to Amazon and I'm getting a GTX 580. I have better things to do than spend my time working on an issue that simply should not be present in the first place.

Back