Ultra portable laptop buying advice...

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Looking to get a very portable laptop. I've had an old Dell Inspiron for several years now, and it's on it's last legs. Quite a bulky system too, and I definitely want something very portable.

The Thinkpad X60S has really caught my eye, but the only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the 1024x768 resolution. It ticks all the other boxes though, and seems a great unit all round.

Are there any other models (any decent brand) that offer higher resolution with similar portabilty that I'm missing?? Thinkpad T60 seems pretty good, but looks like it's nearly twice the price for a model with a much higher resolution. I'm not dead set on a Thinkpad, but they do seem very solid units from what I've read.

Any advice much appreciated...;)

If you are looking at getting an ultra-portable, I suggest waiting a few months until SSDs and hybrid hard drives are more common. Also, Santa Rosa is coming out in a month. Notebooks like Sony's TXN series and Fujitsu's P7200 series should get dual core upgrades and graphics upgrades.

Cost will no doubt be very high for these new notebooks when they first come out though, and will likely be out of my budget range (about £1100-1200 - I live in the UK).

Also, looking at the X60s, it has Dual Core and is a good price. Graphics aren't bad (Intel 950) and fine for my purposes really.

The Sony models seem way overpriced for what they are, and the comparable models are slower and don't come with such a good warranty. The only advantage some of the newer models do have is widescreen. If the X60s came in a widescreen model, that would be just perfect, as it seems to win out in most other categories and tick most of the boxes for what I need.

*don't get the T60 if you want something portable *heavy laptop*

the X60 should be good tho

Back