Uh-oh! Have I just borked an E6600?

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Just lapped my E6600. Used a dab of baby oil on the sand paper. Came out quite well, and I had placed the black protector thing that comes with the CPU on the back while I did it. However, I have just removed this and found a bit of oil has crept in round the edges. It's not swimming in it, but you can see in the light the edges around the gold pins underneath is all shiny. Not to the center, but just about half a cm in. I'm worried now about plugging it in. Have I destroyed it? Don't want to power it all up and something go boom and then everything is ruined! What have I done?! :eek: Should I use the cleaning solution I use on the CPU itself on the underside to try and clean this off, or would that be a recipe for disaster?

I have some of that ArctiClean solution, the Thermal Material Remover and Thermal Surface Purifier - would that do the trick, or do you mean IPA or just vodka or something?

bahahaha, its perfectly fine, just remove it with rubbing alcohol and it will be just fine. Baby oil isnt conductive.

Just lapped my E6600. Used a dab of baby oil on the sand paper. Came out quite well, and I had placed the black protector thing that comes with the CPU on the back while I did it. However, I have just removed this and found a bit of oil has crept in round the edges. It's not swimming in it, but you can see in the light the edges around the gold pins underneath is all shiny. Not to the center, but just about half a cm in. I'm worried now about plugging it in. Have I destroyed it? Don't want to power it all up and something go boom and then everything is ruined! What have I done?! :eek: Should I use the cleaning solution I use on the CPU itself on the underside to try and clean this off, or would that be a recipe for disaster?

But WHY did you do it? :confused:

What's wrong with it the way it was?

But WHY did you do it? :confused:

What's wrong with it the way it was?
Nothing really wrong with it, but temps were a little high, plus I needed to reposition the cooler so I thought what the hell, I'll give it a go, see if I can get this thing running as cool as possible. :rolleyes:

Not so worried now though, now that I realise baby oil is not conductive. Should all be ok! And they're just perfect famous last words...:D

Nothing really wrong with it, but temps were a little high, plus I needed to reposition the cooler so I thought what the hell, I'll give it a go, see if I can get this thing running as cool as possible. :rolleyes:

Not so worried now though, now that I realise baby oil is not conductive. Should all be ok! And they're just perfect famous last words...:D

Whats alittle high?

High 30's idle, occasional dip into the 40's. I know that's perfectly normal and silly to call high, but that's before OC'ing, and I was just itching to lap it, so I did. :D :rolleyes:

Baby oil in your lap......now that's an interesting thought.:eek:

I need to talk to my wife......:D

High 30's idle, occasional dip into the 40's. I know that's perfectly normal and silly to call high, but that's before OC'ing, and I was just itching to lap it, so I did. :D :rolleyes:

Not high even before OC'ing, wasnt any reason to lap it except that you just wanted to :)

If my temps drop significantly, I will be happy. If not, well, I tried, and it was a good learning experience. Unless the system goes boom, it's all good...:D

If my temps drop significantly, I will be happy. If not, well, I tried, and it was a good learning experience. Unless the system goes boom, it's all good...:D

Nah itll be fine, and temps will drop, but I dont think it will be as big of a drop as youd expect. Ive never been able to lap myself, I wanna keep the laser markings for some OCD reason :)

Back