Uh oh, did I damage my i7 920?

AARP

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I'm writing this on my family's computer because I don't want to power up my rig until I get my Cocage true spirit in the mail. Here's where my problem lies. About a week ago I started having problems with my computer turning off randomly, and I finally decided to check my temps to see what was up. To my horror this is what I got : http://i49.tinypic.com/2n1c01k.png . I understand 100c to be the killswitch on i7's, but I believe it must have been idling in the 90s for at least 2 weeks :eek: My question is did this permanently damage my CPU and should I try and get a replacement before it dies completely?

Um, what HSF were you using? Was it mounted properly? I would wait and give it a go and see how it is.

Um, what HSF were you using? Was it mounted properly? I would wait and give it a go and see how it is.

Stock, and I believe it was because when I first checked my temps about 2 months ago they were in the 60s.

I don't think you hurt it. Just get your new heatsink and check it out. Don't worry until you know.

I'm surprised your computer never shut itself off randomly if that temp is true. If I remember a properly configured BIOS should shut the CPU off when it hits 75-80C.

Also, 100C is going to typically create an awful smell. I'd hope you have a fubar sensor that is causing that temp reading. If you can, and if your nasal passages are open. Open the side of your case and take a good whiff.

On a side note, did you ever check the temp through the bios?

you probably dont have any damage on your chip, the TJ Max on those chips is 100, and above that i believe is when it shuts down(not 75-80.....thats a load temp on a 920 from all ive seen, espcially on air on a stock cooler....also the BIOS will give you the reading from your socket, not your actual cores), i know even my old AMD Athlon 2800+ shut down at its max temp...was smart enough to know that......so wait for your new HSF to come in, throw iton and go to wown

I'm surprised your computer never shut itself off randomly if that temp is true. If I remember a properly configured BIOS should shut the CPU off when it hits 75-80C.

Also, 100C is going to typically create an awful smell. I'd hope you have a fubar sensor that is causing that temp reading. If you can, and if your nasal passages are open. Open the side of your case and take a good whiff.

On a side note, did you ever check the temp through the bios?

I can't smell anything, but I just fired it up and the back of the CPU mount is boiling hot. Temp in the BIOS reads at 84C, but that is under no load. Temps in Windows with 1-2% load are 95-99-94-99. My cogage should be here tomorrow along with a tube of AS Ceramique and AS thermal paste remover. I also bought the 1366 bolt thru mount. Best way to apply the paste is a thin horizontal line, right?

thermal paste is all up to personal preferance.....some people swear the "pea" sized blob in the center works the best, others the horizontal line, and yet others say that by spreading it yourself with a buisness card is the best.

I have never used the Horizontal line method, I usually just put a dab of it in the center and put it on, the HSF's pressure should evenly distribute it....

but again, it is all in your preference

Keep it [H].

Thermal paste shootout - application

Edit: I have the Cogage True, used the drop method. Just put some in the middle and strapped the HSF on. Has been working like a charm so far, i'm sitting comfortably at 4.0 on my 920 with 46-50 temps loaded.

Last edited:
Check your CPU voltage hasnt been set too high.

Ok so I installed the Cogage using the stock push pin bracket so I didn't have to take my mobo out, however there is A LOT of wiggle room. But that's not my problem. My problem is that the CPU fan that came with it won't spin at all, even on start up or 100% load. What should I do?

Hmm. Try testing just the fan to see if it will power up. Might be dead. Don't worry about the wiggle room, I used the push pin bracket and I thought that at first too. That's just how they are I've found out.

Hmm. Try testing just the fan to see if it will power up. Might be dead. Don't worry about the wiggle room, I used the push pin bracket and I thought that at first too. That's just how they are I've found out.

How would I just test the fan? I would just swap another fan in but all I have are 3 pins :(

Where would be the best place to buy a 4 pin fan? I've looked at a lot of sites buy they only have 3 pin.

You can always use 3-pin fans in the CPU fan header. The 4th pin just gives you the flexibility of having your fan adjust it's rotation according to the temperature readings (ie. spins faster that hotter it gets). Whereas with just the 3-pin fans it just spins at 100%.

Conversely, I'm pretty sure you can take that fan with the 4 pins and plug it into the 3-pin header to test it out. You'll just have to let the one pin overhang off one edge. If you look at the plug on your fan, there should be a groove that allows you to determine which 3 pins are the main ones which allow it to fit in 3-pin headers.

Hope this helps.

Back