UEFI support on MSI P64N Diamond mobo?

c5guy

Weaksauce
I'm running a MSI P64N Diamond (ms-7320) motherboard with a Q6600 processor with Win7 64-bit OS I have a 2TB C: drive formatted with MBR. My bios vers is 1.3 and is the latest available.

I've read that formatting a new disk to UEFI instead of MBR makes it about 30% faster and more efficient. Also that MBR is limited to 2TB partition size and UEFI can go beyond 2TB in a single partition. I bought a new 3TB hard drive and want to clone my 2TB C: drive to one partition on the larger 3TB drive using UEFI instead of MBR.

Couple of questions:

1) Does my motherboard and Bios support UEFI? I can't find any entry in my bios to activate UEFI.

2) I'm using Acronis 2012 and did the cloning but it defaulted to MBR and therefore cut off the total size of my 3TB disk to 2TB.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

UEFI is not a type of hard drive formatting, it is the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. This is more or less a replacement for the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) you are used to seeing. It is not an "option" you can check, but rather something newer boards come with thanks to Microsoft pushing the EFI interface for Windows 8.

TL;DR
1) No
2) Windows Vista and 7 might allow you to format it as a GPT, I can't really say. Probably out of luck here as well.

Back