Ubuntu + Active Directory

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Looking to have Ubuntu log into an Active Directory Domain environment with kerberos. I've seen documentation with SUSE and KDE but was wondering if anyone had any specifics for the lastest Ubuntu release?

Do what I would do...Figure it out, then write your own docs. Submit them to someone that maintains Ubuntu docs. If it works on one Linux distro, it shouldn't be too bad to get working on others.

I have Ubuntu join our work domain however we use LDAP. My boss wants to decommission the LDAP servers in my LAN and replace them with AD. :rolleyes:

There are a few articles on how to do this on the Ubuntu WiKi. It's not to difficult. You don't get some of the features that you do with a native client though, like credential caching.

AD uses LDAP

But it is integrated, and very heavily modified. And is no longer compatible with existing RFC's

To the best of my knowledge you cant install MS LDAP server by itself. It can only be installed with the AD package.

But it is integrated, and very heavily modified. And is no longer compatible with existing RFC's

To the best of my knowledge you cant install MS LDAP server by itself. It can only be installed with the AD package.
AD uses an implementation of LDAP as the backend. You are correct that it's not a standard LDAP implementation as far as RFCs go. But AD is more than just LDAP, it's group policy and a few other things. You can not install a MS LDAP package, there is only AD.

Back