Ubisoft Wants You To Be Comfortable Not Owning Your Games

Fuck Ubisoft and any other publisher pushing this subscription trash.
Movie/TV services do it.. and so does Music.. Just a matter of time before its normal for Games... People are to blame not Companies.. No one is forcing people to buy it.. People and there gaming addictions can't help it.

I can't believe what I'm seeing here. People actually defend this garbage? Or outright think it's a good thing? Shame.

Here are ten reasons why you should spit on subscription and get out your pitchforks instead:

1. Did you guys learn absolutely nothing from streaming TV? One service gets popular and suddenly everyone and their grandmas wants their own piece of the pie. Meaning streaming was great while the only real player was netflix, but then came amazon prime, hbo max, d+, and a dozen other smaller ones. And suddenly to watch all your favorite shows you need to subscribe to not one but 4-5-6 services. Why do you think it would be any different for games?

2. Then there is the issue of game preservation. If games moved to a purely subscription model they can decide to shut down any game at a moments notice to cut costs on maintenance and servers. I don't want to loose access to my favorite games, do you?

3. "But who cares, ubisoft games are trash anyway!" - It really doesn't matter whether you like ubisoft games or not, if ubisoft gets away with it, other publishers will get the same bright idea. You will be affected, maybe not today or tomorrow, but if we accept this sitting down it will consume all of gaming eventually.

4. Someone compared it to music streaming, and how great that is. Yes it is great if your musical taste is as of a 12 year old tik tok star. Try finding more obscure or niche music on there, you are lucky if your favorite band has some sample of its discography up if you can even find them. Same would happen with gaming, if you chase trends you will own nothing and be happy, but kiss goodbye to AA and genre games.

5. Not to mention how this would affect game quality, as instead of quality this drives publishers to seek quantity instead to make continued subscription seem like a good deal. IDK about you but I'd rather have one great game a year and pay full price for it, than have 12 shovelware titles and pay the same price in monthly installments.

6. Do you really think they would push a model where the customer comes out ahead? How naive can you be? No, this would mean they push secondary monetization as in "time savers", in game cash stores, and paywalled content even harder. Do I need to spell it out how stupid you are if you pay for in game items in a game you don't even own and thus can be taken away from you at any time?

7. The FOMO issue. Subscriptions drive unhealthy gaming habits. This is a double whammy right here. You are psychologically pressured to play more games as in to "not let the subscription go to waste". At the same time the pressure is also on to play games before they are taken away. Just because a game is part of the subscription today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.

8. Supporting developers and games that you like. This is also impossible in a subscription as distribution of the revenue is completely opaque and most likely based on individual deals with developers. Meaning you choosing to put 1000 hours into a game won't affect how much the devs of that game get paid. This further drives developers to aim for the lowest common denominator and give up on making niche games.

9. Modding will likely be impossible on most games. Ubisoft games are already the least moddable games, but any others who want secondary revenue will move in this direction as who would pay for in game items when there are dozens of mods available to do the same thing better?

10. Any game that is not multiplayer should be playable offline. If you are only a subscriber you get booted off the game as soon as your internet access goes out. And you can't even start it again because it needs to verify your subscription's validity online.

Here are ten reasons why you should spit on subscription and get out your pitchforks instead:
Disagree, I enjoy my game-pass and the bunch of games I played that I wouldn't touch/buy otherwise.
1. Did you guys learn absolutely nothing from streaming TV? One service gets popular and suddenly everyone and their grandmas wants their own piece of the pie. Meaning streaming was great while the only real player was netflix, but then came amazon prime, hbo max, d+, and a dozen other smaller ones. And suddenly to watch all your favorite shows you need to subscribe to not one but 4-5-6 services. Why do you think it would be any different for games?
1. Service fragmentation is annoying af, but the base premise remains the same: business offers service, is it worth it for me? yes/no and I either buy or not based on that.

2. Then there is the issue of game preservation. If games moved to a purely subscription model they can decide to shut down any game at a moments notice to cut costs on maintenance and servers. I don't want to loose access to my favorite games, do you?
2. Some games are already purely a subscription model, and games without subscription model have been shutdown in the past as well. That is a different problem, typically multiplayer heavy games that are not player hosted will suffer from that, single player games don't usually and when they do developers/publishers should be brought to the fire for it.

3-6. Mostly speculation, what ifs, and a bit too out there for me to comment on these points.

7. The FOMO issue. Subscriptions drive unhealthy gaming habits. This is a double whammy right here. You are psychologically pressured to play more games as in to "not let the subscription go to waste". At the same time the pressure is also on to play games before they are taken away. Just because a game is part of the subscription today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.
7. Don't know what will ubisoft do, but on gamepass games usually stay 1, 2 or more years, and they warn at least some 15 days before they leave. There's also the opposite experience of FOMO where I try games I wouldn't otherwise buy and discover new genres/types I enjoy, also don't feel the sting of buying a bad game and feeling like I need to play it to justify the purchase (even with research sometimes it happens - looking at you M&B2).

8. Supporting developers and games that you like. This is also impossible in a subscription as distribution of the revenue is completely opaque and most likely based on individual deals with developers. Meaning you choosing to put 1000 hours into a game won't affect how much the devs of that game get paid. This further drives developers to aim for the lowest common denominator and give up on making niche games.
8. Innerworkings are tricky, but some do reward based on time played, buying the dlc also goes back to developers. But if I really really enjoy a game I most likely end up buying it and DLC, so I do support the developers.

Modding will likely be impossible on most games. Ubisoft games are already the least moddable games, but any others who want secondary revenue will move in this direction as who would pay for in game items when there are dozens of mods available to do the same thing better?
9. Modding is possible with subscription services (game pass for ex. allows games to be modded), this part is mostly up to the developers themselves. Devs/publishers that reduce moddability for secondary revenue streams is not a subscription model problem, it's something that already exists and it's up to each of us to support/play or not those types of games.

Any game that is not multiplayer should be playable offline.
100% agree with this.

If you are only a subscriber you get booted off the game as soon as your internet access goes out.
Not true, up to dev/publisher/service, there are games on game pass I've played offline without problems.

I'm not planning on subscribing to Ubisoft service, I also don't think it's the devil incarnate. I've enjoyed my game pass subscription because I got it for cheap, it has good value to me and it makes it easier to try different games I wouldn't otherwise and having games in common to play with friends that also have the subscription.

Even if subscription models are successful I do not expect game purchase to disappear, both models seem able to coexist fine.
The same way I see value in game pass for me, there will be people for whom it is not worth it due to whatever reasons and that is good. Regardless of model each person should find what works for them or not, and buy it or not.

Movie/TV services do it.. and so does Music.. Just a matter of time before its normal for Games... People are to blame not Companies.. No one is forcing people to buy it.. People and there gaming addictions can't help it.
Like any anti-consumer practice, it will become the only option, or like modern Streaming services, one of many only options.
Disagree, I enjoy my game-pass and the bunch of games I played that I wouldn't touch/buy otherwise.
The only redeeming factor from Game Pass is that it's doing so poorly that Microsoft decided to stop reporting subscriber numbers. As history has shown us, this usually means poor sales. Suffers the same problems as Streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ in that they don't offer you everything. No Baldur's Gate 3, no Resident Evil 4, no Alan Wake 2, no Talos Principal 2, no Pizza Tower, and no Star Wars Jedi Survivor. These are arguably most of the best games of 2023, which means you still gotta buy the games or subscribe to other services like Ubisoft+ or EA Play. You still won't get access to all the games.
1. Service fragmentation is annoying af, but the base premise remains the same: business offers service, is it worth it for me? yes/no and I either buy or not based on that.
The problem is that games do come and go on these services, which can be a problem if you were planning to play said game but then found out it was shuffled out for some other game.

View: https://youtu.be/yvhv7bgmz64?si=emRjB0K20Annweq1
2. Some games are already purely a subscription model, and games without subscription model have been shutdown in the past as well. That is a different problem, typically multiplayer heavy games that are not player hosted will suffer from that, single player games don't usually and when they do developers/publishers should be brought to the fire for it.
No amount of internet out rage is going to hold any company accountable when a game is shutdown. Sometimes they walk back, but then a year or two later it's still shutdown.
Even if subscription models are successful I do not expect game purchase to disappear, both models seem able to coexist fine.
The same way I see value in game pass for me, there will be people for whom it is not worth it due to whatever reasons and that is good. Regardless of model each person should find what works for them or not, and buy it or not.
Consider this that consoles like Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 still come with Blu-Ray drives that only hold up to 100GB but a USB thumb drive that's 128GB is only $15 on Amazon. Sony and Microsoft wouldn't pay that price for a thumb drive, plus not all thumb drives need to be 128GB. So why aren't Microsoft and Sony selling physical copies of games on something similar? You could even put game updates onto it, and some games could probably load straight off it to save storage space. Nintendo still sells physical games for the Switch, and there's no cost difference from a digital download or the cartridge. My point is that if Microsoft and Sony really cared about game purchases, then they could have easily innovated on this. They sell digital only consoles for this reason. It's pretty clear that Sony and Microsoft want to push for subscription services. Now we have individual game studios trying their hand on it as well. I'm not sure how successful they'll be, but one things for certain is that they're trying to do away with game purchases.

I did try it and that is exactly my problem. I played a bunch of games that I'd never have touched otherwise. They weren't awful but the only reason I tried them is to make more use of the subscription before it expired. I could've spent the time wasted there much better.
It might seem like a good deal in the short term, but you must also consider long term consequences of that choice.
I didn't say it isn't already a problem, but with the subscription model applied to more games it will only become a much bigger issue. Surely you can see that.
3-6. Mostly speculation, what ifs, and a bit too out there for me to comment on these points.
These were all reasonable assumptions based on existing examples, you need to give reasons why do you think it wouldn't apply to gaming subscriptions.
7. Don't know what will ubisoft do, but on gamepass games usually stay 1, 2 or more years, and they warn at least some 15 days before they leave. There's also the opposite experience of FOMO where I try games I wouldn't otherwise buy and discover new genres/types I enjoy, also don't feel the sting of buying a bad game and feeling like I need to play it to justify the purchase (even with research sometimes it happens - looking at you M&B2).
And you think 15 days is enough to play a game? C'mon. For someone who wants to waste time and has nothing better to do than try games they'd never touch otherwise it might be better value.
8. Innerworkings are tricky, but some do reward based on time played, buying the dlc also goes back to developers. But if I really really enjoy a game I most likely end up buying it and DLC, so I do support the developers.
The problem with this is that in game cash shops esp. in single player games are a plague in of themselves. For DLCs the more common is that the lower tier subscription will give you access to the base games, and a higher tier where you also get access to the DLCs as well.
9. Modding is possible with subscription services (game pass for ex. allows games to be modded), this part is mostly up to the developers themselves. Devs/publishers that reduce moddability for secondary revenue streams is not a subscription model problem, it's something that already exists and it's up to each of us to support/play or not those types of games.
I agree the problem is not directly linked to the subscription model, but subs can only mean more and worse anti-tamper tech, not less.
Not true, up to dev/publisher/service, there are games on game pass I've played offline without problems.
That's exactly my worry, it is up to them, and esp. ubisoft is not one to pass up a chance for yet another justification for why there is no offline play.
I'm not planning on subscribing to Ubisoft service, I also don't think it's the devil incarnate. I've enjoyed my game pass subscription because I got it for cheap, it has good value to me and it makes it easier to try different games I wouldn't otherwise and having games in common to play with friends that also have the subscription.
I'm not planning on subscribing to any of them, when I buy a game I can rely on it being there years later as well. If I just subscribe I have to pay again and again and again, and as soon as I stop paying my access is cut off. I don't even remember when was the last time ubisoft put out a game that I wanted, but it must be years. However I still play their older games occasionally, so I'd have to pay the fee despite not wanting anything new from their catalogue.
For a while sure, but for movies and TV the ability to purchase has already started to disappear in favor of digital renting.

I did try it and that is exactly my problem. I played a bunch of games that I'd never have touched otherwise. They weren't awful but the only reason I tried them is to make more use of the subscription before it expired. I could've spent the time wasted there much better.
That was not my experience at all. Just to clarify that point: I tried some games that I wouldn't otherwise and found them to be good and enjoyable experiences outside my usual type of games. That was definitely a plus on my book. ( I also tried some games that weren't good or enjoyable for me and felt quite comfortable not playing them further because I did not pay for them specifically)

And you think 15 days is enough to play a game? C'mon. For someone who wants to waste time and has nothing better to do than try games they'd never touch otherwise it might be better value.
A game gets added, if you haven't touched it in 1 year you're probably not that interested in it in the first place. After that you know it might get out at some point and you get a minimum of 15 days warning, no one is forcing you to start and finish a game in 15 days.

I think we just disagree, I believe solidly on the premise that I judge a service/product to be worth it for me before I buy it and that derives the rest of the consequences.
Not all services are the same, if they get shitty I won't subscribe, the same with developers and publishers when buying games, if they get shitty I won't buy.

It appears to me there's a lot of blanket statements portraying that the only way for subscription services to exist is to do so in a very anti consumer manner. I can see that the subscription model can allow more control to the publisher, but that's not something they don't do already if they want to. And I don't believe that's the only way forward for subscriptions.

Some publishers/developers are better than others, same with services, and my purchases reflect that, encouraging what I believe to be fair value for the price asked.

Did you not read the OP?
One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That’s a transformation that’s been a bit slower to happen [in games].
They want to lull you into the mindset that you don't need to own your games and then be paid every time you play their games. They are absolutely looking at the DVD industry as their example on what to emulate. As an avid disc buyer I can tell you buying media is MUCH harder now and more costly. Streaming has decimated sales and prices are up to compensate which leads more people to streaming simply because costs rarely go down like they use to. It use to be there were sales lots of people bought at certain times of the year, now they are few and far between and no where near as low as before, and many things aren't even available due to exclusivity with streaming services. You say you do not expect game purchases to disappear and both can coexist, but we already saw how coexistence will never happen once the number of subs can support a publisher's bottom line with Adobe software. Do not be fooled by silly promises from companies that they will continue to sell games for you to own. Both Adobe and Autodesk made the same claims while they were building up the subscriber base. Then the moment it was financially viable they cut off perpetual software sales, then they slowly removed the ability to re-activate the older purchased perpetual software. So there is definitely precedence that it can happen and with games, especially Ubisoft's direct to your face telling you they don't want people to own their games, that this is not speculation but their end goal.

The only redeeming factor from Game Pass is that it's doing so poorly that Microsoft decided to stop reporting subscriber numbers. As history has shown us, this usually means poor sales. Suffers the same problems as Streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ in that they don't offer you everything. No Baldur's Gate 3, no Resident Evil 4, no Alan Wake 2, no Talos Principal 2, no Pizza Tower, and no Star Wars Jedi Survivor. These are arguably most of the best games of 2023, which means you still gotta buy the games or subscribe to other services like Ubisoft+ or EA Play. You still won't get access to all the games.

I think you need to actually read the stuff you link. It's not "doing poorly", it's just probably not hitting the growth targets that they thought it would be at by now. It's still making a large chunk of revenue, and they're investing quite heavily into it. It has a lot of triple A and niche games on there by now, 25m subscribers is still a hell of a lot. The sector has slowed down a lot due to Covid being over, but even with that, they're doing quite well.

The problem is that games do come and go on these services, which can be a problem if you were planning to play said game but then found out it was shuffled out for some other game.

That's just a fact of life for this platform, and it's simply your job as a consumer to decide whether that aspect matters enough to you. Many people have weighed the pros and cons already and found it worth it for them.

I have a good online friend that uses this as their primary way to get and play new games. They had a rough lot in life and the $10-16/month is about all they can afford. We try to find coop games to play together regularly, and outside of like $10-15 games or Humble Bundles, if that, they're not getting much leeway to spend towards games. They're using a computer they built over 5 years ago. We had a rough time trying to find a game to play next. Begrudgingly, I tried out Game Pass just a couple of weeks ago because it had a lot of titles that were online coop for us to move on to. I was surprised at the size of the library on it. There were many niche titles, some early access titles on steam, etc... alongside many higher profile titles. Most of it was curated reasonably well. They weren't just throwaway titles. Right now it has the entire Dragon Age trilogy on there for instance. I'm sure that the amount of time it will be available is also plenty of time to actually finish the entire trilogy if one wanted, as well. The rollover seems to be gradual from what my friend told me (and they have been subscribed to it for years). The integration between various platforms (EA/Ubisoft) is pretty seamless, and the service provides the ability to join and invite my friend. Download speeds are basically Steam level (if not faster).

Overall, for $10? Let's put this into perspective. $10 would at best get you one shitty (well, or good, it could be a good one lol) indie title or one very, very highly discounted old AAA title. Even if you decided to say, "well they could just save that money over time instead"... what would that do? Per year they'd get a mixture of 10 discount indie titles or (less than) 2 AAA games on release, or maybe 3-4 older AAA titles. Meanwhile Gamepass has hundreds of titles. Like 450 or so, I believe:

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePa...er_list_of_all_current_and_removed_game_pass/

Personally, I recently decided to try out Forza Horizon 5 on a whim simply because it was on there, and ended up finding myself having a lot of fun with a title that I would not normally even consider purchasing. The entire Yakuza series that I was waffling about purchasing is also on there currently, and I can play it if I would like. Unless you're literally not a fan of any of the 450 titles on there (which--though strictly possible--is unlikely, unless you're just trying to be contrarian), for $10/month I find this a difficult value proposition to ignore.

Now there are some things about it that are definitely on my shit list. Like it creates a private, secured directory with some arcane Windows permissions fuckery that is unknown to me for the games. This prevents any tampering and easy modding of any game in there, and there have been people that have had that be a thorn in their side when attempting to upgrade their windows or something, as the directory is unreadable. That is definitely on my shit list. So is the way it tried to (and did) automatically log into my fucking Windows with the account used for Xbox (I was able to undo that thankfully, but that pissed me off). But for just playing base games that don't really have many mods anyway? Yeah, the value proposition is hard to beat. Will it last? Who knows. But my friend and I had no issue finding a whole slew of coop games to play on there, so it's great for playing with friends when you don't want to sit there and try to convince everyone in your friend circle to buy a certain title, too. $10/month is pretty easy to ignore in my accounts book.

They want to lull you into the mindset that I don't need to own your games and then be paid every time you play their games.

Paying per access, if that's what you mean, is a completely different bridge to sell, and a different value proposition. We can start decrying the general populace once that actually manages to happen and is successful. But I think it might go the way of that one internet legislation that tried to make it so that we had to pay for what we actually connected to.

not me. mp3's are bad enough. the thing people don't realize is utube serves 128kbps m4a and to get mp3 it has to go through a second lossy conversion. in this day and age of when you can get a hi-res player that does gapless for ~$100 i have no idea why anyone would want to continue to listen to compressed lossy audio?

Last edited:
I think you need to actually read the stuff you link. It's not "doing poorly", it's just probably not hitting the growth targets that they thought it would be at by now. It's still making a large chunk of revenue, and they're investing quite heavily into it. It has a lot of triple A and niche games on there by now, 25m subscribers is still a hell of a lot. The sector has slowed down a lot due to Covid being over, but even with that, they're doing quite well.
For publicly traded companies like Microsoft, the lack of growth is bad. Of course they make money, but they need to make even more money, because shareholders. This is why streaming services like Stadia were shut down, because there was no growth. Microsoft did this with Xbox One, and Blizzard did this with World of Warcraft. They clearly made good money, but there's no growth.
That's just a fact of life for this platform, and it's simply your job as a consumer to decide whether that aspect matters enough to you. Many people have weighed the pros and cons already and found it worth it for them.
If it's my job to figure out what the service I'm paying for does or doesn't have, then I'll just unsubscribe. You wonder why they have no growth.
Overall, for $10? Let's put this into perspective. $10 would at best get you one shitty (well, or good, it could be a good one lol) indie title or one very, very highly discounted old AAA title. Even if you decided to say, "well they could just save that money over time instead"... what would that do? Per year they'd get a mixture of 10 discount indie titles or (less than) 2 AAA games on release, or maybe 3-4 older AAA titles. Meanwhile Gamepass has hundreds of titles. Like 450 or so, I believe:
There's a better solution. I like how you guys want to uphold your morals when corporations don't. Also who among us doesn't have a backlog of games on Steam they've been meaning to play from all the Humble Bundles?
a2K3ZLZ_460swp.jpg

Keep in mind that games today do not devalue like they did in the past due to digital downloads. It only took a few years before an Xbox 360 and PS3 game was found in the dollar bin in your local super market, but because most people do digital download their games, the price for older games is now set by online stores, which is going to be high, especially Nintendo games. You could go the moral route, or you could sail the high seas.

View: https://youtu.be/zvPkAYT6B1Q?t=215

In the wake of Ubisoft shutting-down the servers for single player The Crew, rendering it unplayable (and directly debunking Ubisoft's claims about the safety of not owning games), Ross talks a bit about Ubisoft's streaming hopes in his latest video on games being killed by publishers. He also wants to organise a class-action lawsuit somewhere in the world to challenge the ability of publishers to shut-off access to perpetual-license software.

View: https://youtu.be/VIqyvquTEVU

For publicly traded companies like Microsoft, the lack of growth is bad. Of course they make money, but they need to make even more money, because shareholders. This is why streaming services like Stadia were shut down, because there was no growth. Microsoft did this with Xbox One, and Blizzard did this with World of Warcraft. They clearly made good money, but there's no growth.

The Xbox has been losing horribly ever since its inception, to basically every other console. This has never (or maybe rarely) changed. You're equating a console that has been losing for ages with a service that is doing just fine. They get enough revenue to figure out plenty of ways to get growth in the platform later. I'm curious if Microsoft will finally cave in and allow Gamepass to be on Playstation and Nintendo, though I sort of don't know if they would be willing to. Note, also, that Microsoft kept the Xbox around for much longer than it had any business of being around, and pumped quite a bit into it. You can claim this is hubris, but point is that they tend to actually commit to their ideas (... sometimes for better or for worse), even if they're not immediately profitable. Contrast this with many other companies, Google included.

The only reason it's failing to grow right now is that many of the signups happened during Covid, and this goes for a lot of services and products. Now that Covid is over, use might be plummeting for them. The fact that Gamepass subscriptions aren't just dropping off a cliff is proof that the people that tried it generally want to retain it, which is important. Hell, they're hooking me in, and I'm normally the last motherfucker that would sign up for a service like this.

There's a better solution. I like how you guys want to uphold your morals when corporations don't. Also who among us doesn't have a backlog of games on Steam they've been meaning to play from all the Humble Bundles?

So your solution to disagreeing with arbitrary standards and numbers that you set in the sand, is just to break the law and then act like you're justified in doing it?
1705615419015.png

I guess I'm not surprised since many people on this forum were taking advantage of conversion rates to buy things from another country at lower price, while making up some silly justifications for it. Also some more things:
1. Humble Bundle games tend to be bottom of the barrel, old, or just indie titles. And if they're not, the price of the bundle is 20-30$+, "To get these titles".

2. To make it clear, Gamepass is also safer and easier than pirating games. Yeah, I know. Some of you have this or that private tracker, but even those have ratio requirements. Either way you'll have to torrent a copy of the game that you trust (that could really fuck your computer up), and get a crack from some IRC channel (XDCC bot or something), a tracker, some Mega link, whatever.

Meanwhile to try out any game with Gamepass, all I had to do was click "install". That's it. It took 2 seconds and downloaded faster. The ability to be able to rent and peruse a catalogue as large as that with that sort of ease is to me easily worth $10/month now that I've tried it. And if they get rid of it, I don't care. I just get $10/month back. Nothing changed. Whatever.

3. Good luck actually playing online or online coop in any title you pirate. Online coop MIGHT be possible through Tunngle or Hamachi, but good luck getting that set up easily. I've been there and I've done that. If you're not a poor college student (and arguably even if you are, now), that trouble isn't worth it.

4. Also, again, you people sitting there talking about Steam act like you actually really own the title, physically. You don't.

5. And yeah I'm against service fragmentation, though. ie Ubisoft deciding it wants its own "+" service. Uplay+ sucked. I've tried it very briefly on a free trial. There were far from enough games to make it worth it. Gamepass, though? Yeah there is a lot on here right now. Maybe that'll change. Anime and streaming is experiencing this, too, as Dunky comically alludes to here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhv7bgmz64
Thankfully at least games are a different beast than shows. One show might have 12 hours of content in a season. One game can have 100+ hours. Among other significant differences.

Anyway... I have maybe "sailed the high seas" (a grandiose way of putting "committed digital theft") before when I didn't have the means. But I never tried to pretend it wasn't what it was. Whatever, I just felt like weighing in (at more length than expected) but I've stated my 2 cents on this and so have you, so I'm done here.

I think this is the part you are missing. The prices will go up. You won't be getting $1 or even $5 a month subscriptions. They reason they are trying to push these services is so they can make more money. That means you pay more money. You think they want to give up $70 games and $40 DLC expansions for $30 a year? You'll end up with higher costs in the long run. There will be tiers as well. Basic subscription, premium subscription (will include some DLC), and of course ultimate subscriptions which will contain the rest of the DLC. Kind of like what Amazon/Netflix are trying to do with advertisements.

2. Some games are already purely a subscription model, and games without subscription model have been shutdown in the past as well.

Imagine having a subscription to be able to access a subscription live service based game. If you think they're going to get rid of the live service or second subscription part, think again.

single player games don't usually and when they do developers/publishers should be brought to the fire for it.

A lot do and are trying. Ubisoft did this with Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Modding will just be less common. Not only do you need to dedicate a lot of time working on something, but now you need to pay to keep working on it.
I've enjoyed my game pass subscription because I got it for cheap, it has good value to me and it makes it easier to try different games I wouldn't otherwise and having games in common to play with friends that also have the subscription.

For now. Once most people go to subscription models, online always DRM will become more common, and they will push people onto subscriptions. Look at other software. They more or less hide or will raise the price substantially to purchase a product. They'll likely do away with sales and discounts, because if you "want to spend less" on a single game, you can get a $120 annual subscription.

If you really think they plan on keeping $1 a month forever, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Do you actually think that after they get subscriptions ingrained into gamers that there will be an ability to outright "buy" games any longer or even discounts or coupons that might undercut their subscription service value? Do you not see how Adobe killed off any kind of perpetual license sales after the move to subscription took hold? Adobe once offered both when they introduced subs and once they had a decent percentage on board the subscription train, then boom perpetual licenses disappeared. We need to learn the consequences to having software move to subscription services from the very people the game publishers are aiming to emulate (the streaming services and software makers like Adobe, Autodesk, etc..), and those consequences are simple, they move to subscriptions, and you can't buy any new games. Like Adobe and Autodesk, they will update their EULAs so that they can EOL (end of life) their activation servers for their older software due to "maintenance costs", so once you change the PC, reinstall windows, uninstall/reinstall the product or upgrade enough you are SOL. Software you "bought" is non functional and they will say if you want to use the product subscribe since it's part of their back catalog as support for the non subscription versions of the software have been discontinued.

While the concern is noteworthy, the situation with subscription services of generally corporate-tier creative/business software is totally different than what we're discussing with something like gaming. There are other issue with gaming worth discussing, but what you're speaking of doesn't really impact gaming. Things ike Adobe Creative Suite or CAD software or the like transition to subscription because their primary customers are corporate interests who even when they were selling given version for hundreds of dollars, would buy it on per-seat license. They'd also want/need some sort of official support. Adobe et al are obviously slimy, but they're dealing with a handful of business tier super expensive software elements - individuals, especially those without a big professional use were not part of the market really. In fact, Adobe et al (this also leans over to those like Microsoft for Windows keys and the like) prefer that users pirated their $600 program when they were a student making horrible knock offs on DeviantArt, so that when they got a professional job they were already familiar with and depended on Adobe products rather than using GIMP or Inkscape or a number of others. The subscription model in their case also lets them try to convert individual pirates (though admittedy mixed with free versions like PS Express ) who would not buy $600 PS key and crack it instead, but at $20/month...it would be within the paying option of the person doing Patreons and commissions. Anyway, the majority of what they'er doing here is shady but its because people don't want to give up Photoshop or Lightroom or whatever the hell else especially at a corporate per seat licensing scope.

When it comes to gaming, it doesn't work this way even if AAA corpos want it to do so. There are many reasons incuding both the different desires between developer/publisher , platform, service, and other facets that are not quite as simple as "Adobe wants more money for its adobe stuff", as well as the way that players interact with it. We're increasingy seeing things like excusivity based on console FINALLY whittled down to the bullshit they've become post the PS2 era, and attempted exclusivity (or even just temporary early launch benefits) for streaming services or subscription stuff isn't working so well either. Thankfully Stadia failed BECAUSE they focused on being another platform/console/service and even things like "Oh look Starfield is coming out on GamePass" doesn't lead to success. A lot of us would just plain fuck off if told that we needed to subscribe to something in order to get some game and that it wouldn't be sold a la carte; and beyond "us" - which I increasingly recognize that we're a bunch of older-skewing enthusiasts so we don't represent the usual player - they wouldn't want it either. Even the corporate types wouldn't want to lose the benefit of say, peope coming across a game and buying it later on sale, rather than having to subscribe to some service to even see it. The subscription as sa service instead of sales as a focus when you've GOT to have that thing - works for Photoshop, yes, but for gaming no. Previous attempts to push things this direction from slightly different angles have failed and horribly, even for the profiteering types.

Ubi's subscription not being garbage was because of its potential value while having an equal or better experience in every other way, as it stands. If they change that in any way, a lot of people will probably say "fuck it not worth it" ; I admit its precarious and perhaps accidental that its NOT shit, and I doubt Ubi will learn the right lesson: that if you make something accessible, open, and a good value people will come and probaby keep coming back, the moment that the whole "line must always go up" bulshit kicks in when they reach saturation. However, that doesn't mean the current situation is a bad thing or necessarily predicates some horrible future, either. If anything, it is at least possible for Ubi to realize that they're doing better with these policies than some competitors with their locked down, more expensive or restrictive, constantly nickled and dimed situation but that remains to be seen.

I've been a long time advocate of subscriptions in other context, notably those with consistent support requirements such as MMORPGs. Sadly, we've seen this popularity of subscriptions - where you use to buy the game as a one off w/ a month of sub included, and then pay your sub every month (discounts/bonus for multimonth blocks) and get FULL access to the game INCLUDING COSMETICS up until the yearly-or-less one off expansion. This dynamic which as fair and respectful of players was outmoded by a constant demand for Item Mall / "its just a cosmetic" exacerbated by the arrival of the mobile monetization era and the Battle Royale / MOBA era where $22 skins are perfecty normal, along with battle passes (literally , a subscription that gives you less and requires you to play more during a time to get the full benefit of it) and other horrible stuff like "collection events". I don't have an innate hate for subscriptions conceptually and in the above MMO exampe its actually a FAR better value proposition with more openness, but that's the problem - it doesn't make as much money as if they can get one streamer to pay hundreds of dollars for a "collection event" (don't get me started on gacha mechanics and monetization) and then do it again next month because its easier to do that then try to keep an equivalent amount of subscription payers happy and subscribing.

Ultimately, its a different situation but we shoud be fair and understand the real issues at play, at now and potentially in the future.

Ditto. I just don't buy Ubisoft games anymore, period.

I really should start ditching Steam for GOG.
you're not missing much!

my take on all this is i want choice, like most of us. if they want to have a subscription model, that's fine. don't take away the option to BUY the damn game.

i have kids, i don't get a lot of time for gaming anymore. maybe an hour or so in the evening when the kids are in bed. most games i'm really not interested in, haven't played a multiplayer game in ages and no urge to do so. the games i do pick out in one year i can count on one hand and it takes me quite some time to go through them. hell, i'm still playing through the dead space remake and i bought it on release day!

so for those like myself (and i know there's plenty) in what world would a subscription model make any sense what so ever?

The Xbox has been losing horribly ever since its inception, to basically every other console. This has never (or maybe rarely) changed.
The 360 was doing fine, but the Xbox One is when things went down hill.
You're equating a console that has been losing for ages with a service that is doing just fine.
You don't know that. If Game Pass was doing "just fine" then show me the numbers.
They get enough revenue to figure out plenty of ways to get growth in the platform later.
They'll just make games exclusive to Xbox again and kick out PC. Why you think Microsoft is buying up all these studios? Playstation guys thought this would never happen, and where's their Starfield? Where's the PC version of GTAVI?
You can claim this is hubris, but point is that they tend to actually commit to their ideas (... sometimes for better or for worse), even if they're not immediately profitable. Contrast this with many other companies, Google included.
The Xbox One owners with Kinect would like to have a word with you.
The only reason it's failing to grow right now is that many of the signups happened during Covid, and this goes for a lot of services and products. Now that Covid is over, use might be plummeting for them. The fact that Gamepass subscriptions aren't just dropping off a cliff is proof that the people that tried it generally want to retain it, which is important. Hell, they're hooking me in, and I'm normally the last motherfucker that would sign up for a service like this.
Microsoft stopped reporting Game Pass numbers in January 2022, which was still COVID. Ubisoft was also in decline as was Blizzard during COVID. Nobody was interested.
So your solution to disagreeing with arbitrary standards and numbers that you set in the sand, is just to break the law and then act like you're justified in doing it?
View attachment 628413
Is anyone going to actually pirate Ubisoft games? They're so bad even the pirates wouldn't even touch them. Also yes.
I guess I'm not surprised since many people on this forum were taking advantage of conversion rates to buy things from another country at lower price, while making up some silly justifications for it.
Corporations do it all the time and it's legal. Why you think all our junk in made in China, or why IT is now in India? They're taking advantage of conversion rates. The only reason games are region locked is to prevent you from doing the same thing they do.
Also some more things:
1. Humble Bundle games tend to be bottom of the barrel, old, or just indie titles. And if they're not, the price of the bundle is 20-30$+, "To get these titles".
You should take another look at the Game Pass web page and look at their games carefully. Who could ever forget such games like Those Who Remain, Turnip Boy Robs a Bank, Super Mega Baseball 4, and of course Hell Let loose. Where as Humble Bundle current offers for $10, you may have heard of this game Boyonetta, Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition which has a native Linux port and is still better than Borderlands 3, Celeste :unsure:, Sprawl :unsure:, Blood Stained Ritual of the Night is a pretty decent game, Astalan :unsure:, and Sonic Adventure 2 which I still have for Dreamcast. While Game Pass has no Sonic games, no Borderlands games, no Boyonetta, and no Blood Stained Ritual of the Night. The same price as one month of Game Pass, you get to keep these games.
gamepass.png

Meanwhile to try out any game with Gamepass, all I had to do was click "install". That's it. It took 2 seconds and downloaded faster. The ability to be able to rent and peruse a catalogue as large as that with that sort of ease is to me easily worth $10/month now that I've tried it. And if they get rid of it, I don't care. I just get $10/month back. Nothing changed. Whatever.
If you don't finish the game before it's removed from the store? What happens?
4. Also, again, you people sitting there talking about Steam act like you actually really own the title, physically. You don't.
Again, if the game is installed then what are they going to do to prevent me from playing it and backing it up?
5. And yeah I'm against service fragmentation, though. ie Ubisoft deciding it wants its own "+" service. Uplay+ sucked. I've tried it very briefly on a free trial. There were far from enough games to make it worth it. Gamepass, though? Yeah there is a lot on here right now. Maybe that'll change. Anime and streaming is experiencing this, too, as Dunky comically alludes to here:
Ubisoft can try, but if you don't offer all of your latest titles on this service then you can bet that people will look elsewhere. That includes piracy, but again I wouldn't recommend pirating Ubisoft games because again they aren't worth $1, let alone your time. There are so many better games, particularly on Humble Bundle, that are worth your time. You can also take your time playing those games because again, you own them. If you wanted to play Baldur's Gate 3, which isn't on Game Pass, you can comfortably leave whatever game behind and know that it'll still be there because it's not on Game Pass. Imagine playing A Plague Tale on Game Pass to leave it for BG3, but came back to find that you can't continue because the game was removed. At which point I would have visited GameCrackWorld and cracked the game, and you can argue what is or isn't morally correct and legal, but I'll be damned if I couldn't continue my save game.
aZDe1qW_700bwp.jpg

Last edited:
Paying per access, if that's what you mean, is a completely different bridge to sell, and a different value proposition. We can start decrying the general populace once that actually manages to happen and is successful. But I think it might go the way of that one internet legislation that tried to make it so that we had to pay for what we actually connected to.
With subscription you are paying per access. It doesn't matter if it is monthly, daily, or hourly. Same concept.
I can't believe that it still hasn't sink in for some people that piracy is a service problem. Everyone has their own line set in sand, to limit how far backward they are willing to bend before they say enough is enough and stop paying for a service. Whether someone chooses to pirate after that line is reached is completely irrelevant to the service provider's predicament. They are not victims of piracy they are the victims of their own shoddy service.

That was not my experience at all. Just to clarify that point: I tried some games that I wouldn't otherwise and found them to be good and enjoyable experiences outside my usual type of games. That was definitely a plus on my book. ( I also tried some games that weren't good or enjoyable for me and felt quite comfortable not playing them further because I did not pay for them specifically)
And how many games did you try that you didn't find enjoyable? Trying 5 games to find one that is somewhat enjoyable is not a good usage of my limited free time, this is why I said subscriptions promote unhealthy gaming habits. You feel like you need to try games to not let the subscription waste away. It incentivizes you to play even if otherwise you'd do something else.
A game gets added, if you haven't touched it in 1 year you're probably not that interested in it in the first place. After that you know it might get out at some point and you get a minimum of 15 days warning, no one is forcing you to start and finish a game in 15 days.
Do you know how many games there are in my steam library that have been sitting there for over a year waiting for me to play them? And what if I only learned about the game weeks before its removal?
Fomo is forcing me to start and finish games ASAP, that is exactly my criticism of subscription services. With a purchase I can play games at my own leisure at my own pace with zero pressure.
I think we just disagree, I believe solidly on the premise that I judge a service/product to be worth it for me before I buy it and that derives the rest of the consequences.
I'm not talking about consequences for you, but consequences for the industry, if subscriptions reach critical mass, the option to purchase will be erased completely.
Not all services are the same, if they get shitty I won't subscribe, the same with developers and publishers when buying games, if they get shitty I won't buy.
It will be too late to unsubscribe after your prior cheerleading for subscriptions have killed off ownership of games.
It appears to me there's a lot of blanket statements portraying that the only way for subscription services to exist is to do so in a very anti consumer manner.
IDK whan dreamland you live in where corporations do things that benefit the consumer at the expense of their profits or revenue growth.
I can see that the subscription model can allow more control to the publisher, but that's not something they don't do already if they want to. And I don't believe that's the only way forward for subscriptions.
They wouldn't be promoting it if they didn't see it as a way to increase their bottom line. There is no win-win scenario here. They win, we loose something in the process.
Some publishers/developers are better than others, same with services, and my purchases reflect that, encouraging what I believe to be fair value for the price asked.
Owning games is better than renting them.

Not sure why this is news. Seems the writer didn’t get the memo about subs. Also anyways you don’t own games on any digital platform - sub or no sub.

Dumbass YouTubers and website makers writing sensationalist content for hits.

Not sure why this is news. Seems the writer didn’t get the memo about subs. Also anyways you don’t own games on any digital platform - sub or no sub.

Dumbass YouTubers and website makers writing sensationalist content for hits.
If ownership is really important to a gamer, the only choice for buying games is GoG. It is the only digital store where you actually own the full license rights to use the product you purchased because it has no DRM on it. Though some GoG users like to argue that in fact some games do have online DRM because it has to use galaxy to connect to multiplayer aspects of the games. Even with that, GoG is still the only true seller of Games that you actually own, simply because you can install it with an installer that you can download without any client software at all. No activations, no can't find store client running for license checks, just install and play.

I still have an old notebook of games i havent touched in 20-30 years. Yea i have them but if i dont play them ever, does it really matter? Discs probably warping or delaminating by now haha. Like having old vhs tapes of movies i liked, those are pretty much shot now.

Anything can vanish, honestly piracy is probably the most ideal backup for digital content.

For me ownership really only is important when the internet goes down lol.

If ownership is really important to a gamer, the only choice for buying games is GoG. It is the only digital store where you actually own the full license rights to use the product you purchased because it has no DRM on it. Though some GoG users like to argue that in fact some games do have online DRM because it has to use galaxy to connect to multiplayer aspects of the games. Even with that, GoG is still the only true seller of Games that you actually own, simply because you can install it with an installer that you can download without any client software at all. No activations, no can't find store client running for license checks, just install and play.
Not only GOG. Itch* and Zoom Platform also provide DRM-free offline installers. And there are some games that can be purchased directly from the dev/publisher, which is even better because there's no middleman adding overhead.

* I know theoretically Itch allows games be DRM'd, but I've never seen any there.

One thing to remember is that games aren't music or movies. How much is a single song? Around $1 to $3, or nothing because most people would just use YouTube or download off YouTube. How much is a movie worth? Maybe $15 to $25 on release? Movies especially devalue fast due to streaming and that most movies aren't worth watching twice. Seriously, when was the last time you watched a movie twice? For me it was End Game. A game is $60 to $70 base value, because that can always go to the moon with DLC and micro-transactions. So how is a subscription going to deal with these things? Who is going to put their $70 just released game on UbiSoft+ or GamePass which only generates $10 to $18 per month, when they could have gotten way more for it?

Keep in mind that Ubisoft wants $18 per month, and not the $10 per month like Mircrosoft does. Which is a lot of money for a service that only offers games from one studio, and arguably not very good games. Game Pass is $10 for PC, but $11 for Xbox. If you want both Xbox and PC then it's $18. As an Xbox user if you want to be able to play online and have access to Game Pass, that's $17 per month, which is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Sony also offers this, but only for PS5 and it costs $18 per month to have access to games worth a damn. So there's no way these services are going to last with current pricing. A smart person might just pay the one month and just play through a new game and then cancel their subscription. So it's likely that Snake ass Microsoft will eventually just triple the price of Game Pass once it's popular, assuming it ever gets popular. What game studio is going to want their new AAA $70 game on one of these services if they don't pay $70 per month? The reason this works for music and movies is because you weren't paying for them to begin with. Lets be honest here, you were on Napster wondering if Metalica_One.mp3.exe was going to give you a virus or a working song. Nobody wanted to go buy a CD for $25 with thirteen songs just to have the one song they really wanted. Nobody wanted to pay $50 for a Blu-Ray of Titanic, when you can just torrent it. Games are different. You want a copy of Baldur's Gate 3, because you plan to replay it again, maybe three or four times. Nobody is going to play Far Cry 6 twice, let alone once.

Either these services are going to triple in price, or future games are going to lose triple their value. Think of Indie games or moblie games level of quality. All they gotta do is churn out enough games with catchy names to keep you paying that subscription fee. Ubisoft already does this with Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. Swen agrees with me, and he's actually made a good game. I don't think Ubisoft has ever made a good game that didn't have the name Rayman in it, and that was a long time ago. I'm not even sure if Ubisoft still makes games.
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-wont-fi...recasts-a-future-of-players-not-owning-games/
JBKrRZdNUiSjZaSwhAY3GK-1200-80.png

Last edited:
Some part of the interview sound a bit strange coming from the PC aspect:
One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That’s a transformation that’s been a bit slower to happen [in games]. As gamers grow comfortable in that aspect… you don’t lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That’s not been deleted.

I feel it happened quite fast on the pc side of things and occurred more than a decade ago... for a lot of people it fully occured the first time they bought a dvd case of a game to find a download code (or an amount of patch before they play that make it an equivalent). I stopped buying physical game way before I stopped buying physical movies, the need for downloaded patch making one virtually useless.

Has for a statement like gamers need to get comfortable not owning their games for a non-owning type of subscriptions to take off, that sound trivially true.
You want a copy of Baldur's Gate 3, because you plan to replay it again, maybe three or four times.
Would it not be for game needing to be patched dozen-hundreds of times during their life, that could be quite similar to torrented movie too (not sure why replaying it change that).

I would imagine many could look to their steam library, how many game did they actually play more than 3 hours among them and could feel a low entry price + lot of DLC for the game I actually played kind of match my usage or a subscriptions type, that you buy the rare game you tried and liked from time to time once the month is over or what not.

The low price could be an issue, it was an obvious one for music-movie-tv, that worked for old already moneytised content but not for new one, not an amount anyclose to the giant pay TV industries + box office + home ent + etc... was generating. But over $200 a year for a single publisher would not be that cheap, that 3 full game a year, how many people buy more full priced ubisoft game a year than that right now.

Last edited:
One thing to remember is that games aren't music or movies. How much is a single song? Around $1 to $3, or nothing because most people would just use YouTube or download off YouTube. How much is a movie worth? Maybe $15 to $25 on release? Movies especially devalue fast due to streaming and that most movies aren't worth watching twice. Seriously, when was the last time you watched a movie twice? For me it was End Game. A game is $60 to $70 base value, because that can always go to the moon with DLC and micro-transactions. So how is a subscription going to deal with these things? Who is going to put their $70 just released game on UbiSoft+ or GamePass which only generates $10 to $18 per month, when they could have gotten way more for it?

Keep in mind that Ubisoft wants $18 per month, and not the $10 per month like Mircrosoft does. Which is a lot of money for a service that only offers games from one studio, and arguably not very good games. Game Pass is $10 for PC, but $11 for Xbox. If you want both Xbox and PC then it's $18. As an Xbox user if you want to be able to play online and have access to Game Pass, that's $17 per month, which is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Sony also offers this, but only for PS5 and it costs $18 per month to have access to games worth a damn. So there's no way these services are going to last with current pricing. A smart person might just pay the one month and just play through a new game and then cancel their subscription. So it's likely that Snake ass Microsoft will eventually just triple the price of Game Pass once it's popular, assuming it ever gets popular. What game studio is going to want their new AAA $70 game on one of these services if they don't pay $70 per month? The reason this works for music and movies is because you weren't paying for them to begin with. Lets be honest here, you were on Napster wondering if Metalica_One.mp3.exe was going to give you a virus or a working song. Nobody wanted to go buy a CD for $25 with thirteen songs just to have the one song they really wanted. Nobody wanted to pay $50 for a Blu-Ray of Titanic, when you can just torrent it. Games are different. You want a copy of Baldur's Gate 3, because you plan to replay it again, maybe three or four times. Nobody is going to play Far Cry 6 twice, let alone once.

Either these services are going to triple in price, or future games are going to lose triple their value. Think of Indie games or moblie games level of quality. All they gotta do is churn out enough games with catchy names to keep you paying that subscription fee. Ubisoft already does this with Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. Swen agrees with me, and he's actually made a good game. I don't think Ubisoft has ever made a good game that didn't have the name Rayman in it, and that was a long time ago. I'm not even sure if Ubisoft still makes games.
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-wont-fi...recasts-a-future-of-players-not-owning-games/
View attachment 628608
Like 0.05% of the population knows what a torrent is. You're argument doesn't stand strongly with reality.

Like 0.05% of the population knows what a torrent is. You're argument doesn't stand strongly with reality.
That sound low by now (specially for the people with the first spotify-netflix accounts, the first few years of those services), but "free" streaming from a pre-made android streaming box by people that assume it is perfectly legal because they are sold in store, at least in Canada.

red-to-singles-and-album-sales-in-the-us-1990-2016.jpg
0*cxDBdfE41pgndAI8.png

I think the music industry was at least partly forced out of the selling music only via expensive CD because of piracy would have truth to it:https://musicbusinessresearch.files...ngles-and-album-sales-in-the-us-1990-2016.jpg

Napster peaked around 2001 I think.

A smart person might just pay the one month and just play through a new game and then cancel their subscription. So it's likely that Snake ass Microsoft will eventually just triple the price of Game Pass once it's popular, assuming it ever gets popular. What game studio is going to want their new AAA $70 game on one of these services if they don't pay $70 per month?
I already did this a few times, and it was OK for mediocre games that I never want to play again. But for good games it is worse, because I want to play them more than in a span of a single month.
I think if hit and runs become too much they'll probably change the rules that you only get access to AAA games if you have been signed up for at least 3 months already or if you pre-pay 3 months.
The reason this works for music and movies is because you weren't paying for them to begin with. Lets be honest here, you were on Napster wondering if Metalica_One.mp3.exe was going to give you a virus or a working song.
Nobody wanted to go buy a CD for $25 with thirteen songs just to have the one song they really wanted. Nobody wanted to pay $50 for a Blu-Ray of Titanic, when you can just torrent it. Games are different. You want a copy of Baldur's Gate 3, because you plan to replay it again, maybe three or four times. Nobody is going to play Far Cry 6 twice, let alone once.
IDK, I'd never purchase a single song from an album, that is weird to me, either an album is worth buying or it is not. Back in the day napster was actually a great way to find music that I wanted to listen to and eventually bought. Of course I downloaded much more than what I purchased, but I did not buy the rest because it did not make the cut. Or in some cases I wanted to buy it but simply couldn't. Now music streaming and youtube serves the same purpose as napster back in the day.
They will triple in price as soon as they manage to normalize not owning games and quietly take away the option. I think the subscription model for games is the worst of both worlds, you get lower quality games as well as end up paying more in the long run compared to buying the 3-4 games a year that you are actually interested in.

think this is the part you are missing. The prices will go up. You won't be getting $1 or even $5 a month subscriptions. They reason they are trying to push these services is so they can make more money. That means you pay more money. You think they want to give up $70 games and $40 DLC expansions for $30 a year? You'll end up with higher costs in the long run. There will be tiers as well. Basic subscription, premium subscription (will include some DLC), and of course ultimate subscriptions which will contain the rest of the DLC. Kind of like what Amazon/Netflix are trying to do with advertisements.
And when the prices go up, if the value is no longer there for me I won't buy/subscribe, same logic for buying games.
Modding will just be less common. Not only do you need to dedicate a lot of time working on something, but now you need to pay to keep working on it.
That's in a scenario where subscription only exists, again I don't believe it will go that way, your opinion might differ and that's fair.

For now. Once most people go to subscription models, online always DRM will become more common, and they will push people onto subscriptions. Look at other software. They more or less hide or will raise the price substantially to purchase a product. They'll likely do away with sales and discounts, because if you "want to spend less" on a single game, you can get a $120 annual subscription.

If you really think they plan on keeping $1 a month forever, I'm not sure what to tell you.
No I don't, again I'll pay while the value is there, if it's not I won't.

Fuck Ubisoft and any other publisher pushing this subscription trash.
Sadly you know how many people will sign up? Even if a new game doesnt come out except every 6 months or a year....

Honestly the same people who pre-ordered every CoD game, knowing full well it will be a steaming pile of crap on release and the first few months....

And how many games did you try that you didn't find enjoyable? Trying 5 games to find one that is somewhat enjoyable is not a good usage of my limited free time, this is why I said subscriptions promote unhealthy gaming habits.
Most of the games I tried I enjoyed/finished. I don't grab every random game that gets added, I do a rudimentary check to see if it's something I'll enjoy. Picking up a game to see if I enjoy or not also happens when I buy it. In this case I might try a game for half an hour or so to check if I like without a comprise, and that works for me. Just because that is my experience doesn't mean it has to be yours, to each their own.
You feel like you need to try games to not let the subscription waste away. It incentivizes you to play even if otherwise you'd do something else.
That's not how I approach it. That seems like an anxiety problem that transcends the subscription model question. Like saying chocolate is bad because I can't stop eating it. My approach is, i have a subscription, if I feel like playing something on there I will. After a month or two if I look back and see that I have not been using it then I cancel it.
Do you know how many games there are in my steam library that have been sitting there for over a year waiting for me to play them? And what if I only learned about the game weeks before its removal?
Fomo is forcing me to start and finish games ASAP, that is exactly my criticism of subscription services. With a purchase I can play games at my own leisure at my own pace with zero pressure.
Again seems to me that's more to do with perspective and anxiety. I know how the subscription works and every now and then check what's added. When I feel like playing something new I go and take a look.
I'm not talking about consequences for you, but consequences for the industry, if subscriptions reach critical mass, the option to purchase will be erased completely.
So am I, services/products that provide good value survive others don't. I think the purchase option being erased completely is very unlikely, but each of us have their own crystal ball.
It will be too late to unsubscribe after your prior cheerleading for subscriptions have killed off ownership of games.
Easy on the hyperbole there, I'm not cheerleading, I shared my experience, not all subscriptions are the same and not all are the devil. What works for me might not work for others.
IDK whan dreamland you live in where corporations do things that benefit the consumer at the expense of their profits or revenue growth.
Never said or implied that. Companies try to make profit period. Sometimes they provide products/service that I enjoy or find worth it, then I buy them.
They wouldn't be promoting it if they didn't see it as a way to increase their bottom line. There is no win-win scenario here. They win, we loose something in the process.
Disagree, this is more nuanced and context based than you're portraying. Some products/services provide value in a way that was not there before, doesn't mean everything companies do force you to lose something, you have to look at it on a case by case and decide for yourself.
Owning games is better than renting them.
Agree, but at the same time not interested in owning all games I play, some I'm ok with playing for bit and be done with them.

I subscribe when I see value and I purchase when I see the value there. Not advocating anyone to go hard in and only do subscriptions. As with everything else I buy/subscribe what has value to me, if it stops having value i stop subscribing/buying. Just because something works for me doesn't mean it works for others, to each their own.
In my perspective not all services are the same, some provide good value, some don't. I also believe subscriptions and purchases can coexist, you disagree on that and that's fine.

I've shared my experienced and commented what to me seemed to transition on blanket statements and fearmongering, not everything is the same, nuances, details and context matter.
Each of us will have their experiences and predictions, I've shared mine and listened to others, moving on now.

I already did this a few times, and it was OK for mediocre games that I never want to play again. But for good games it is worse, because I want to play them more than in a span of a single month.
I think if hit and runs become too much they'll probably change the rules that you only get access to AAA games if you have been signed up for at least 3 months already or if you pre-pay 3 months.

EA games already does that. They have different tiers of subscription. Some don't allow access to certain high profile games. Some only offer a small trial period if I recall.

Here is what they will do:

- Basic subscription (older games, some popular games)
- Premium subscription (older games, popular games)
- Ultimate Edition subscription (entitles you to most DLC, maybe only for some games)
- Professional Edition subscription (all games, all DLC)

And then possibly other things like play time limits for certain games at certian tiers, and whatnot.

Anyone who thinks this will end up "being a good deal" doesn't get it. You'll have Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square, 2K, etc.

Price will go up because they're not going to give $70 games with $40 DLC away for $10 a month.

They will triple in price as soon as they manage to normalize not owning games and quietly take away the option. I think the subscription model for games is the worst of both worlds, you get lower quality games as well as end up paying more in the long run compared to buying the 3-4 games a year that you are actually interested in.

A blind man can see this coming. I'm not sure why people argue it won't happen.

And when the prices go up, if the value is no longer there for me I won't buy/subscribe, same logic for buying games.

The problem here is your options for purchasing will be limited. Like with other types of software they found pushing subscriptions and limiting purchasing licenses that never expire was a better way to make more money.

That's in a scenario where subscription only exists, again I don't believe it will go that way, your opinion might differ and that's fair.

When the above happens, purchasing will become rarer and more expensive. This will mean less modders. Paying $20-70 for a game vs $10 a month for a game for two years, or $240, will limit people who dedicate spare time to mod.

You won't have much of a choice. Unless people flatly reject subscriptions they will gradually take over and gradually increase in price and limitations.

Ultimately who’s gonna buy remake after remake and remaster after remaster if there are older copies of super popular titles out there that still work on modern systems…

Why bother paying writers when an AI can take the original title and close up some of the plot holes and dangling stories. Why hire artists when an AI can upscale the assets and port them into a new engine.

Then just use AA upscaling and image enhancements to clean up the rough edges from the other upscaling tools.

Subscriptions are far more viable if you lack original ideas and need to recycle old ones for a while. Far more viable when you can’t get the old versions from a second hand market or your existing game vault (Steam/Epic/GoG)

Last edited:
Most of the games I tried I enjoyed/finished. I don't grab every random game that gets added, I do a rudimentary check to see if it's something I'll enjoy. Picking up a game to see if I enjoy or not also happens when I buy it.
I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that almost all the games you tried you ended up loving so much that you finished them. You either don't have very high standards, or you did not try that many games after all. Of course you don't try every random game, but when I had games pass, after vetting their entire "free" catalogue I landed on about half a dozen games that I deemed interesting enough to try. And only one ended up being good enough that I played it to completion. It was some indie game, and only allowed me to play the first chapter. So in the end I still would've had to pay to get the full game. I could've probably bought the game in full for less than what's a game pass subscription goes for on list price.
In this case I might try a game for half an hour or so to check if I like without a comprise, and that works for me. Just because that is my experience doesn't mean it has to be yours, to each their own.
That was my point, that is fomo working in full effect. You try games you otherwise wouldn't because what if they're good? Spoiler alert: If they were really good you'd have heard about them and wanted to try them long ago.
This is why I think the number of games available on these services is just an illusion to make subscription seem good value, but all you end up doing is wasting your valuable time on shovelware.

That's not how I approach it. That seems like an anxiety problem that transcends the subscription model question. Like saying chocolate is bad because I can't stop eating it. My approach is, i have a subscription, if I feel like playing something on there I will. After a month or two if I look back and see that I have not been using it then I cancel it.
Except there is nobody there to take away the chocolate if you do not eat it fast enough. And you don't have to pay again for the chocolate you did not eat last month.
Look, I accept that you love the subscription model, but trying to make excuses for every negative aspect of it is really weird, it's as if you are not trying to convince me, but yourself.
Again seems to me that's more to do with perspective and anxiety. I know how the subscription works and every now and then check what's added. When I feel like playing something new I go and take a look.
Of course it is anxiety, LOL, so I'm the problem for expecting that the games I payed for to remain available to me indefinitely? Or that I want to manage my own time? I'm still shocked that you actually think removing games is not a big deal.
So am I, services/products that provide good value survive others don't. I think the purchase option being erased completely is very unlikely, but each of us have their own crystal ball.
That's naivety. Products and services don't survive based on how good they are for the customer. Even scams survive, because there are always gullible people to get scammed, that doesn't mean scams provide good value :D
Easy on the hyperbole there, I'm not cheerleading, I shared my experience, not all subscriptions are the same and not all are the devil. What works for me might not work for others.
You try to explain away every drawback of the subscription model, I call that cheerleading. If I wanted to be insulting I would've said shilling.
Never said or implied that. Companies try to make profit period. Sometimes they provide products/service that I enjoy or find worth it, then I buy them.
But if they make more profit that has to mean that they either extract more money from the customers or provide less value somehow. There are no free lunches.
Disagree, this is more nuanced and context based than you're portraying. Some products/services provide value in a way that was not there before, doesn't mean everything companies do force you to lose something, you have to look at it on a case by case and decide for yourself.
I'm pretty confident that if we allow them to push the subscription model on us then eventually there'll be no purchase option for at least some games.
Agree, but at the same time not interested in owning all games I play, some I'm ok with playing for bit and be done with them.

I subscribe when I see value and I purchase when I see the value there. Not advocating anyone to go hard in and only do subscriptions. As with everything else I buy/subscribe what has value to me, if it stops having value i stop subscribing/buying. Just because something works for me doesn't mean it works for others, to each their own.
Call me cynical but publishers are not charities, as soon as they hook you on subscriptions and by you I mean the majority of players they'll put up roadblocks that will prevent you to sign up for one month to play a $70 game and then cancel.
In my perspective not all services are the same, some provide good value, some don't. I also believe subscriptions and purchases can coexist, you disagree on that and that's fine.
Oh, I wish ownership and subscription could coexist. But just as large scale campaign expansions for games did not survive DLCs, I don't think ownership will survive subscriptions.
I've shared my experienced and commented what to me seemed to transition on blanket statements and fearmongering, not everything is the same, nuances, details and context matter.
Each of us will have their experiences and predictions, I've shared mine and listened to others, moving on now.
It seems to me that you are trying to bury your head in sand about the negatives and possible ramifications for the future of ownership. Look at the commercial software market, you can no longer buy perpetual licenses for most software, either you pay ad infinitum or loose the software, with some going as far as retroactively revoking perpetual licenses. We used to have a choice to remain on the same software version or upgrade to the new one if it provided value for us, now there is no choice, you have to upgrade and pay every year even if you find the updates detrimental.

Last edited:
This is incredibly disappointing but predictable. Infinite consumption cannot continue for physical goods so everything in life will be a service to keep the profits coming in. Corporate is gonna corporate. Ownership of most anything is slowly going away. Hell if I paid my house off and left it to my kids the property taxes alone now make up 30+ percent of my mortgage payments escrowed. Another 20 - who knows years and just the taxes will likely be what my total mortgage is now. So someone will be getting a monthly subscription to this dwelling forever. Pay to exist people.

On topic. I’m not a buyer for game subscriptions. I wouldn’t play WoW back in the day for that reason however I did do a year of Game pass for PC because it was like $3/mo on a promo. Canceled as soon as it went full price. I did try several games I wouldn’t otherwise have but ultimately didn’t feel the value was there for me. I tend to find a few games that hook me and play them for 100s of hours. Like 4x strategy games or sim games that are infinitely relatable. One and done play through games I buy cheap. Coop games are great and require an internet connection at least and any platform like Steam required means we are renting already so…Dammit!

Most of the games I tried I enjoyed/finished. I don't grab every random game that gets added, I do a rudimentary check to see if it's something I'll enjoy. Picking up a game to see if I enjoy or not also happens when I buy it. In this case I might try a game for half an hour or so to check if I like without a comprise, and that works for me. Just because that is my experience doesn't mean it has to be yours, to each their own.
Just because a game exists, doesn't mean it's worth playing. For example, did you know Star Wars Fallen Order is mediocre? Mediocre in gaming means it's a bad game. It's a perfectly serviceable game, but if you're not doing anything special beyond being a bad Dark Souls clone then the game is a waste of time. Gaming is so old now that there's plenty of classics that are worth your time. Again, games don't age. There's no such thing as outdated gaming design, just good or bad. Shovel Knight isn't shovel ware, and Hollow Knight as an Indie Game is 10x better than most AAA games released in 2023. Most games on Game Pass are trash, with some exceptions that make you feel like you're getting your $10 per month worth.
This is why we had demos and shareware back in the day. This is why Twitch is popular, because some people don't have a good way to determine if they'd like the game or not. A rule I have is if I never have any intention of playing a game twice, then it wasn't a good game.
The problem is that subscriptions are usually hard to cancel, by design. Also if you pay to try games before you buy them, then you're paying for demos of games. Good luck finishing Baldur's Gate 3 in a month.

View: https://youtu.be/Dg1zeY-iRDc?si=sgie8nJ7cGMpQI38
Probably won't go that way, but it doesn't mean that's not the intention of corporations like Ubisoft. If consoles had succeeded in destroying the PC gaming market, then you'd have no mods. If Cloud Gaming had succeeded, then you'd have no mods. If emulation was illegal, then you'd have no mods for Nintendo games. It's hard to grasp how close we were to losing this powerful tool as gamers.

View: https://youtu.be/X4tLbzm3oAM?si=WJeuoc1MN-65JAnX
When you don't, it'll be too late. We're already at the point where digital downloads is the only way to get some games, and that means no used resale market. Used games was a way to control the price of games, and that's mostly gone. Renting games will further push away your digital rights of ownership. We got people here posting that you don't actually own anything, like that's a universally accepted rule. Remember, Foamy warned you.

View: https://youtu.be/_VEQ78WS5UE?si=4uvsivCs3EP_XAyG

Sounds like an interesting thread but I am at the point of TLDR all these back and forth massive posts. :shifty:

All I'll say is its a good thing I don't care what Ubisoft wants.

I am not a fan of subscription models. But it is interesting to me that I have a ton of games I own on physical media for which I do not own a reader anymore.
Obviously, I can attach one, but the ever-increasingly ephemeral nature of media and accessibility is very interesting / scary.

I still have picture books printed all the time, even though I have a bunch of online storage. Books are not forever either, but they are much harder to remove by a 3rd party.

Back