ubiquiti wifi station

jetfire

Limp Gawd
has any one got one of these as i have installed and changed the device settings in the device manger and i still have just 2mw of power.

i have set it to complacence test in the driver and disabled the 11d mode and its still only showing 2mw on the software.

its on a laptop running win7 64 and am using the latest download for the wifi station is there any reason i cant make the speed any faster as its about the same as the built in wifi in the laptop at the moment.

also tried the other usb slots but all are the same.:confused:

has any one got one of these as i have installed and changed the device settings in the device manger and i still have just 2mw of power.

i have set it to complacence test in the driver and disabled the 11d mode and its still only showing 2mw on the software.

its on a laptop running win7 64 and am using the latest download for the wifi station is there any reason i cant make the speed any faster as its about the same as the built in wifi in the laptop at the moment.

also tried the other usb slots but all are the same.:confused:

Here are the simplest answers I can offer... This below is an over-simplification, but a completely valid comparison.

Please review the two situations below:

• Imagine two men each on a mountain top.
  • Man A wants to have a conversation with Man B.
  • Man A purchases a megaphone and turns the gain (volume) up.
  • Man B can now hear Man A.
  • Man B responds to Man A, but his voice does not carry all the way to Man A
  • Man A is still upset that he hasn't heard back from Man B, Man A considers purchasing a larger megaphone amplifier.

• Imagine two men each on a mountain top.
  • Man A wants to have a conversation with Man B.
  • Man A purchases a megaphone and turns the gain (volume) up to the max setting.
  • All Man B hears, is a horrible distorted noise from Man A's direction, but he manages to make out some of the words.
  • Man B says, can you say that again....but his voice does not carry all the way to Man A
  • Man A is still upset that he hasn't heard back from Man B, Man A considers purchasing a larger megaphone amplifier.

The goal is to get a fast, clear signal.

Not enough signal results in a slower connection that MAY bridge a longer distance, but as seen in the example above.....both sides need to be able to send and receive

If you get enough signal, the goal is to make sure that you are not sending or receiving communication errors.

Once you hit the connection limit for your equipment, your next step is getting better faster equipment.

Last edited:
The goal is to get a fast, clear signal.

well its about 1.5m away from my unifi disc which is 300mbps and its got full signal as it now has a yagi 18db antenna but works with the one that comes with it but my output power is 2mw on the gui or is that 200mw?.

its in -Compliance Test mode and have still got 2mw on the gui.

Please review the two situations below:
Imagine two men each on a mountain top.
Man A wants to have a conversation with Man B.
Man A purchases a megaphone and turns the gain (volume) up.
Man B can now hear Man A.
Man B responds to Man A, but his voice does not carry all the way to Man A
Man A is still upset that he hasn't heard back from Man B, Man A considers purchasing a larger megaphone amplifier.
Imagine two men each on a mountain top.
Man A wants to have a conversation with Man B.
Man A purchases a megaphone and turns the gain (volume) up to the max setting.
All Man B hears, is a horrible distorted noise from Man A's direction, but he manages to make out some of the words.
Man B says, can you say that again....but his voice does not carry all the way to Man A
Man A is still upset that he hasn't heard back from Man B, Man A considers purchasing a larger megaphone amplifier

sod that id buy a satellite phone as it works anywhere in the world unless you are under ground or in the sea;)

Please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.

Unifi: distance is 1.5 miles from unfi station

Unfi Station has a 18db yagi

Unfi Station appears to be stuck at 2mw in the interface.

Current Solutions that work:

Run the nano station client installer on a windows XP machine.
Or
Install Windows XP mode on a Windows 7 pro machine and install the software into the virtual Windows XP.

At 1.5 miles I do not thing that what you are doing will work very well. Ideally you should be using something like (2) Nanobridge's

As a step down, use a single nanobridge instead of a Unifi the Nano Station with a 18db yagi should work fairly well assuming no physical obstacles.

Regardless, once you can adjust the power on your nanostation the Unifi will be your limiting factor as its built-in antenna array is far from desirable for bridging that distance.

hi

i have a unifi disc on the wall and a laptop is using the ext wifi station usb to use the wifi the problem is the wifi stations power output as its in the low red and shows as only 2mw on the gui when it should read 1000mw.

i have full signal and its a whooping 1.5 meters, its in the same room:confused:

this thing has drove me up the wall and across the ceiling and i have to use xp:eek:

it only took like 3hrs of installing and removing to get it to even work on win7 64 so i think ill leave it as it is for now.

S1032442.jpg

What in hell did you do to the poor thing???

That hack job could be part of your signal problem...

thats my other toy im playing with i can get signal through 26 houses and nick there wifi if i want to, its just handy if im sat on top of a hill ;)

got full signal on the wifi station and ok range just no way to turn up the power for faster speed.

As I said previously, the solution is run the installer in XP or XP mode. The work around using windows XP is listed on the Wfistation forum, The previous installer didn t even install in win 7, the latest installer works in win 7...all except the power output control.

:D

Back