Uber Geek setup!

WesM63 said:
xphil3,
Actually to most peoples suprise, i do not have any certifications. I don't have time to study and take them.

Well that makes two of us. What I love about my job is that my director was a CCIE like 3 years ago, so he is still a bowl full of knowledge(even though I rarelyhave to ask him for his help :D )

Ockie said:
Kinda looked like my basement.

Not too much impressive, the wiring is a real big turndown... so is his desk :p

He needs to go in there tile out the floor, cover up that roof (fiberglass and computer fans dont mix), and give it the real server room feel and functionality. Also, if he really wants to be unique, he should get a cable way or some form of wiring management system... even velcro ties!!
lol what are you queer eye for the cisco guy?

I don't know about you, but my cisco routers and switches look messy all the time. Its hard keeping them organized if your keep changing Lab equipment and running differant sims.

Dreadlox said:
I don't know about you, but my cisco routers and switches look messy all the time. Its hard keeping them organized if your keep changing Lab equipment and running differant sims.

Rally cars are also hard to keep clean but yet you see them always washed It's nothing more than your willingness to keep it clean... I personally can't stand wires just hanging there; it's not the right etiquette IMO.

Spike.. said:
lol what are you queer eye for the cisco guy?

Nope, just prefer clean rooms to work in and ones that would lengthen the longevity of the machines he's using. Fiberglass and ballbearings of fan is a recipe for failure ...same with concrete dust.

Ockie said:
Rally cars are also hard to keep clean but yet you see them always washed It's nothing more than your willingness to keep it clean... I personally can't stand wires just hanging there; it's not the right etiquette IMO.
Well I don't have a pit crew or even a person allocated to tidy up my wires every time I take out a switch.
First focus for me is making sure what I'm consulting will work then making it look pretty. Plus I'm talking about my home setup not a clients. I'm not saying I don't like tidy wires for me thats the fun part, means I'm almost done and getting paid.

If you have the time to do so, more power to you.

i'm quite disgusted in myself for not having a clue as to what 99% of that equipment is, while holding a dusty ccna :\

you dont use it, you definately lose it.

what makes it so messy looking is apparrent lack of patch panels... some patch panels would make it look nicer but would make testing a PITA...

what if you want to hook up one of those firewalls on the far left with that switch on the far right?

the ones with all the ports are probably switches, and the ones that say dell on the front are probably servers :eek: :p

btw, i kind of wonder how much of that equipment is actually cisco... i mean it is hard to tell from pictures because i'm not used to staring at racks all day, but there definitely a few servers in there and some firewalls that don't look like ciscos...

i gotta CCNA but i've worked with naught but a few different routers and switches, some frame relay equipment, and basically got the most experience hooking them up in as many different configurations as humanly possible...

after all, isn't a good understanding of the IOS going to get you pretty far on ANY router, or ANY switch?

conf t ftw

sure more features on newer models means learning how to do more, figuring out the settings for trunking and all that somewhat tricky stuff that i'm sure changes with new equipment...

i'm the exact type of learner as scott here, and find the same problems with not being able to get satisfying answers from instructors and "peers"... i was lucky with the instructor i had where it wasn't really a PROBLEM, i mean i didn't have a problem passing CCNA, but i think i could've gotten more from being trained by somebody like scott...
but i'm not in that part of the corporate networking field that i mostly studied for (it makes me a crapload better at the SOHO stuff i do now though, i actually understand how things work)

thanks for sharing scott, and your lab and desk are a crapload tidier than mine, i'm pretty good about cables, but aweful about leaving dead equipment lying around...

EDIT: i guess i just need to RTFwebsite, its all listed there

see most of his stuff is juniper, not cisco... playing with 100% of his cisco equipment isn't as farfetched as it sounds

EDIT2: "Juniper Networks M7i (4-port 10/100 Ethernet PIC, 4-port MMF SONET OC-3PIC)"
*slobber* now where's the SONET internet connection to wire this stuff up? i wouldn't mind a 43 gigabit synch bandwidth speed...

i could download my nvidia drivers darn fast, and i could probably run a CS server at the SAME TIME

I would have the hardest time convincing my future wife to let me assemble something like that in our basement.

benzino_86 said:
I would have the hardest time convincing my future wife to let me assemble something like that in our basement.
That's why you have to find the right woman who puts up with all your crap. :)

benzino_86 said:

If you are making the cash to afford all that test equipment she shouldn't care, it's part of your job. My wife puts up with my 2 racks of crap at our house, she hates it but the paycheck's that equipment provides means she gets a nice house, shopping when she wants and so she deals with it.

Back