U.S. Disables Data-Stealing Botnet

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to admit (especially considering this is the government were talking about here) that this is an impressive win for the Department of Justice. Is this the last we've heard from the bot-net scumbags? I highly doubt it.

The legal actions are part of the "most complete and comprehensive enforcement action ever taken by U.S. authorities to disable an international botnet," according to a statement from the Department of Justice. A botnet is a group of computers that have been compromised and are being remotely controlled by attackers, typically to send spam or attack other computers.

So basically the government now runs a large botnet and is stealing data from infected computers. I wonder how long it will be until the infected machines are remotely "cleaned."

i am sure it is all the younger people in the system now who know more then all the old timers

Sounds like a cover up to me.. J/K really though what will happen to all the info that has been collected? Ahh well guess we shall see.

Why does it being the government some how make it more impressive?

To the extent that the government is inefficient/ineffective it usually comes down to regulatory capture or lobbyist contributions unduly influencing Congress.

If you think about it what DARPA, NASA, or the EPA get done on the kind of budget they are provided is really pretty impressive.

How about we infect the writers of this Malware with a virus, say somthing incurable & see how they like it.

The MPAA/RIAA have been able to raid harmless people for years but more serious criminals can do whatever they want.

Why does it being the government some how make it more impressive?

To the extent that the government is inefficient/ineffective it usually comes down to regulatory capture or lobbyist contributions unduly influencing Congress.

If you think about it what DARPA, NASA, or the EPA get done on the kind of budget they are provided is really pretty impressive.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a Cnet rehash of a story that was widely reported elsewhere several days ago--in which the government shut down several command and control botnet servers--because *MIcrosoft* led them to the offending machines. Cnet for some reason rarely likes to mention Microsoft. Anyway, this story sounds so much like that one that a coincidence is doubtful.

Oh, Mills does indeed mention Microsoft's role, but only in the very last sentence of the article, in the very last few words, as if that role was superficial and irrelevant--when indeed Microsoft's role in uncovering these C&C servers was pivotal to the DoJ's ability to comment on the matter, much less do anything about it.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a Cnet rehash of a story that was widely reported elsewhere several days ago--in which the government shut down several command and control botnet servers--because *MIcrosoft* led them to the offending machines. Cnet for some reason rarely likes to mention Microsoft. Anyway, this story sounds so much like that one that a coincidence is doubtful.

Oh, Mills does indeed mention Microsoft's role, but only in the very last sentence of the article, in the very last few words, as if that role was superficial and irrelevant--when indeed Microsoft's role in uncovering these C&C servers was pivotal to the DoJ's ability to comment on the matter, much less do anything about it.

Probably intentional as nobody likes to see private corporations take roles of policing and enforcing the law.

Back