Types of paint...

EnFoRcEr!!

Limp Gawd
I've already read the FAQ about spray painting, case painting, etc...they explain a lot in there, but not specific enough about what I needed to know. Im actually painting my drives, case top, and I bought 3 handles to go on top of the case as well(2 for a strap, 1 for handheld). The 3 handles are all metal, so I shouldnt have to worry about chipping like with plastic and stuff. The FAQ told me the types of paint THEY used, but they didnt say why they used them. I know I'll need primer for the case and drives, but will I need it for the handles? Im gonna use the glossy colored paint for the case and drives, but am I right in assuming that the clear-coat paint is for protective purposes? Finally, I have a can of black enamel spray paint at work, which I noticed is almost like a thin layer of rubber after it dries. If I use that on my handles, and then finish it off with the clear coat, will that create a grip on the handles?(Not only a grip, but one sturdy enough to handle the friction that might be caused by a shoulder strap on the 2 outside handles.) Thanks for any help ahead of time guys. I appreciate it.

Get yourself some Krylon Fusion paint. Bonds to Plastic. Needs no sanding or priming, dries in 15 minutes (to the touch) and is good for wood, metal, ceramic, and more. That's what I got, unfortunately I have yet to use it. Recommended by many people as well.

Fusion was really meant for plastics, although it will work with metals and stuff too. If I were doing it, I'd just use your normal Krylon. If you can, I'd reccommend sandblasting the pieces so that you won't have to get into every little crevice will your sandpaper or sanding pad. (That is, unless you have a nice simple handle) I would reccomend using primer- get one that says it's good for metals.

despite what cans say about not needing a primer its usually a good idea...over time paint on things with out any sort of primering often leads to bubbling/cracking....

i've used the fusion stuff and i dont really see whats so great about it especially with the limited ammount of colors the have...either way if you paint its a good idea to rough the surface up a little bit with some pretty fine sand paper, after a few coats of paint you shouldnt see any sand marks unless you used coarse paint or accually just sanded the hell ot of what ever you were painting with the fine stuff...

so rember, fine sand papwer, lightly sand the subject...or you can risk by not sanding and having paint bubble.crack in the future...

its up to you...

i use automotive paint...alot more color selection and its often less expencive in a rattle can, but can be more expencive if you have a custom color made

this is a case i did with a chrysler color it got away from me before i could clear coat it...there might be some greasy finger prints on it but nothing permanent and the lens flare is accually from a light (makes it look cheap)

fontbuttonsblanks.JPG

Holy crap, I JUST painted my case the EXACT SAME colour. Automotive paint... the one that's used on Chrysler and Caddilacs, right? Awsome color, too bad I don't have a digital camera, cause it turned out alright. I skipped the clear coat because the paint was 1/4 clear coat anyways (mixed 1 part clear with 3 parts paint).

However, I was wondering, what kind of product should I use to wax it, or spiffen it up a bit. My paint was a little rougher than yours, as I didn't wet sand, so it's not as reflective as I had hoped.

i didnt wet sand either.....is it bumpy like a orange peel? and how many coats did you apply?

Originally posted by Niku

i use automotive paint...alot more color selection and its often less expencive in a rattle can, but can be more expencive if you have a custom color made

Yeah I use the duplicolor automotive paint u can pickup at any autoparts store it comes out great! and the paint job is really solid.

I used Krylon "Shortcuts" the first time I painted my keyboard and it sucked ass. It all wore off in a matter of weeks and looked so shitty.

You can see the two paint jobs below. The one on the left was just painted using Krylon Shortcuts, while the one on the right was sanded, primed, painted, and clearcoated with Duplicolor paint.

paint-comparison.jpg

Okay, so basically...start off with primer, then your paint(glossy, flat, w/e you choose), then finish it with clear coat. My final question is how many coats of each would you recommend for the best durability? Especially since im going to be using one handle for handheld purposes, and the other 2 for a strap(which I dont want to tear the paint off).

Krylon paints will chip like an egg shell...
spend a few more bucks and get ur some dupicolor/plastikote with gloss... dont try to clear coat if this is ur first time... if u wanna try clear coat in the summer, try to move to a non-humid city :( it will haze/bubble unless u do it in ur room with a/c

well any paint will chip if u hit it hard enough... dupicolor and plastikote are more durable... clear coats are extra protection... its usually not need unless u plan to abuse ur case... will it chip? that depends on how well u take care of ur case... but it will not rub off if its a gloss paint... thats pretty much for sure...

The reason I ask is because the strap is going to be rough on the handles. Guess it doesnt really matter though, I could always paint the bases of the handles, and leave the upper part plain metal. Wouldnt look 1/2 bad and I wouldnt have to worry about the shitty looking paint job either, lol. Thanks for the help guys!

I would reccomend Krylon Fusion as well. Did a few remotes and a AV system selector. Ps2 comes next. Had alittle problem with the AV selector because I did it in extremely cold weather(well not extremely but 20F). Didnt bond to the plastic had to put alot of coats to get it on well.

"i didnt wet sand either.....is it bumpy like a orange peel? and how many coats did you apply?"

Don't get me wrong, it isn't BAD bumpy... you know with cars, how some have a bumpy paint texture? It's like that. It looks nice. Much harder to notice fingerprints and such. Turned out okay... if only I had a digi-camera...

Originally posted by Canadian_2K
"i didnt wet sand either.....is it bumpy like a orange peel? and how many coats did you apply?"

Don't get me wrong, it isn't BAD bumpy... you know with cars, how some have a bumpy paint texture? It's like that. It looks nice. Much harder to notice fingerprints and such. Turned out okay... if only I had a digi-camera...

you get a bumpy texture when iyou paint and its too cold out...i odnt rember what temp that is...it should say on the caneven if it is bumpy and you had alot of coats you could still wet-sand it to smooth it out...i would still be careful...

i've got a crappy cam too but i managed to swipe a foregin exchange student's camera before he left back for japan....that how i got decent pics

One more question, im sorry, lol. I've decided to skip the flames on the top, and start with something a bit more simple. My game name is EnFoRcEr!!. Im going to go ahead and put that on the side of my case(the mobo side) using metallic silver spray paint. Im going to prime it, but will I have to sand that as well. Or can I just apply the primer right to the side of the case after just cleaning it a bit? Thanks again guys!

if you mean sand the stock coat then thats up to you...its probally textured and if you didnt want it textured you should sand it...it could go either way....

and just a little info...

falcon northwest uses automotive paint but they one up my method...they take it to a local dealer here and have them do it and also some air brushed things too....

i've only painted one thing the professional way and it was a truck...although i am considering a custom color for my little case

Back