Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

Disabling those features including uninstalling works initially but it will come back later, often surreptitiously. Like many unwanted programs.
I'm in the crowd that will install what I need when I need it. None of this forced nonsense. Copilot comes to mind. As with search clutter. The OS needs to be just that; a foundation that lets the computer run and the user can install what they want/need.

Another example is annoying behavior is MS Edge changing itself to the default handler to PDFs. If someone uses a program, often a paid program, to handle PDFs and registers that to open them, Edge should NOT be changing this on its own. This is annoying AF to people that just need to use their computer as a tool for work (like millions do!) and increases frustration factor un-necessarily.

And too, hitting on the OP, forcing everyone to use a MS account is just awful. Sure, technically competent users can easily sidestep this but the millions of "typical" users will comply. Even worse they use their work/school email to associate with a MS account. And don't get me started on OneDrive and now Teams.

Yes I'd love to use nix as a primary driver but there are too many programs I need that won't work. But for everything else that doesn't need Win, there's a distro out there that works well.

Disabling those features including uninstalling works initially but it will come back later, often surreptitiously. Like many unwanted programs.
I'm in the crowd that will install what I need when I need it. None of this forced nonsense. Copilot comes to mind. As with search clutter. The OS needs to be just that; a foundation that lets the computer run and the user can install what they want/need.

Another example is annoying behavior is MS Edge changing itself to the default handler to PDFs. If someone uses a program, often a paid program, to handle PDFs and registers that to open them, Edge should NOT be changing this on its own. This is annoying AF to people that just need to use their computer as a tool for work (like millions do!) and increases frustration factor un-necessarily.

And too, hitting on the OP, forcing everyone to use a MS account is just awful. Sure, technically competent users can easily sidestep this but the millions of "typical" users will comply. Even worse they use their work/school email to associate with a MS account. And don't get me started on OneDrive and now Teams.

Yes I'd love to use nix as a primary driver but there are too many programs I need that won't work. But for everything else that doesn't need Win, there's a distro out there that works well.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps not. I personally have not yet seen edge force it's way back to a pdf viewer mode. However, I work in a plant with a corporate network so that is probably why.

We use Teams, on drive and Office 365 and it mostly just works. At home, my Win11 computer is working well.

My biggest issue with Teams is default auto starting.
It's amazing how much faster a well optimized Windows system is compared to the out of the box experience. Particularly with vendor preloads with ridiculous amounts of crapware.

My biggest issue with Teams is default auto starting.
It's amazing how much faster a well optimized Windows system is compared to the out of the box experience. Particularly with vendor preloads with ridiculous amounts of crapware.
Teams auto-starting and ignoring the "don't start" option is garbage through and through. It's also a shitty program regardless.

I'm just curious, is there anyone else out there working for a company still rolling Win10 out with newly imaged machines? We've been hearing "soon" our Win11 baseline images will be available from SecOps for almost 2 years now, apparently the Intune/MECM/Win11 cocktail has just plain baffled our folks (not too surprised... outsourcing to lower cost countries never has a downside)... This is a lowest common denominator type image to boot! Seems like every step of the way required a MS ticket to be entered too, weeks delays for smaller items just to open a new one for something slightly different.

It's getting to the point where we're going to be hammered by the "upgrade all 2k+ of your end user devices to Win11" projects... let alone give us adequate time to tailor automation for the customizations we require post-image. 80% will be fine like always, but then you deal with the 20% manually in some fashion...

Frustrating!

I'm just curious, is there anyone else out there working for a company still rolling Win10 out with newly imaged machines? We've been hearing "soon" our Win11 baseline images will be available from SecOps for almost 2 years now, apparently the Intune/MECM/Win11 cocktail has just plain baffled our folks (not too surprised... outsourcing to lower cost countries never has a downside)... This is a lowest common denominator type image to boot! Seems like every step of the way required a MS ticket to be entered too, weeks delays for smaller items just to open a new one for something slightly different.

It's getting to the point where we're going to be hammered by the "upgrade all 2k+ of your end user devices to Win11" projects... let alone give us adequate time to tailor automation for the customizations we require post-image. 80% will be fine like always, but then you deal with the 20% manually in some fashion...

Frustrating!
I just bought a block of Microsoft’s time to hold my hand through it. In 4 hours they identified what I had fucked up in my Intune and GPO that was preventing it from working and another 8 hours to fix it and send me on my way to make the final changes to properly deploy it.

12 hours of their time and I shit you not $450 USD… How the F are they that cheap…

Anyways…

Yeah, I’ll be doing a full Win 11 roll out for all devices with TPM2.0 in July.

In case any of you were wondering what I had done wrong it was primarily my GPOs interfering with Intune and legacy configs for Win 8 and older were actively breaking the Win 11 items.
So they took me from well over 30 GPOs as I do my best to ensure that each GPO only did a single thing, down to maybe 8, and most of them are configuring what is needed to get the Windows 10 and 11 machines into Intune.
Intune is now pushing out all the settings that the GPOs previously did, instead of doing things on a single feature basis, it is just implementing best practices in a profile config so each covers a concept, not a setting. So even then it's taken the 25+ GPOs I had and boiled it down to 5 profiles instead.

Then instead of having pre-done images we have software profiles and when a device is enrolled to Intune and assigned a profile it then deploys the software, based on the device and user rules in place. And the best part is that step can be done at the OEM level, so I can get say Dell an API key so they can enroll the new purchases directly and get the preset defaults on in place before they even ship.

I'm still waiting for Win12 for the desktop UI but I don't want to create an account and would rather avoid the data snooping.

I'm still waiting for Win12 for the desktop UI but I don't want to create an account and would rather avoid the data snooping.
keep waiting then, it hasnt even been announced yet. use pro and you dont need an account, and you can disable most of it in setup. thinking it wont be there if/when 12 comes is funny...

I just bought a block of Microsoft’s time to hold my hand through it. In 4 hours they identified what I had fucked up in my Intune and GPO that was preventing it from working and another 8 hours to fix it and send me on my way to make the final changes to properly deploy it.

12 hours of their time and I shit you not $450 USD… How the F are they that cheap…

Anyways…

Yeah, I’ll be doing a full Win 11 roll out for all devices with TPM2.0 in July.
I'm stoked by your results, I had no idea MS could ever resolve issues that cheap! A success story for the ages lol.

Given the size of our organization, our acquisitional nature... I cannot imagine the gremlins hiding in our hundfeds/thousands of various client-end GPO's. To an extent I get it, but at the same time, i know we opted for support contracts with these major players and running skeleton crews on these central teams.

Just starting having random Commvault job failures Monday on seemingly random VM's and what do you know, another support ticket opened with the vendor. Tis the way of the future in these large organizations it seems.

I'm stoked by your results, I had no idea MS could ever resolve issues that cheap! A success story for the ages lol.

Given the size of our organization, our acquisitional nature... I cannot imagine the gremlins hiding in our hundfeds/thousands of various client-end GPO's. To an extent I get it, but at the same time, i know we opted for support contracts with these major players and running skeleton crews on these central teams.

Just starting having random Commvault job failures Monday on seemingly random VM's and what do you know, another support ticket opened with the vendor. Tis the way of the future in these large organizations it seems.
Yeah I just got mad at it signed into the Intune Admin portal, created a support ticket, and it went from there.

I had gone through their guide a half dozen times and gotten nowhere so I figured before I sign a bigger contract for big money why not give them a shot.

"Windows 10 reaches 70% market share as Windows 11 keeps declining". Maybe Microsoft should stop putting ads in Windows 11? I like how a few pages back some people attacked me for pointing out a fake ad image. It's the children that was wrong, right guys?
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-reaches-70-market-share-as-windows-11-keeps-declining/

"According to Statcounter, in April 2024, Windows 11 lost 0.97 points, going down from 26.68% to 25.65%. All those users seemingly went for Windows 10 since the OS, which will soon turn nine, crossed the 70% mark for the first time since September 2023, gaining 0.96 points."

"Some argue that Windows 11 still offers little to no benefits for upgrading, especially in light of Microsoft killing some of the system's unique features, such as Windows Subsystem for Android. Add to that the ever-increasing number of ads, some of which are quite shameless, and you get an operating system that has a hard time winning hearts and minds and retaining its customers."

"Windows 10 reaches 70% market share as Windows 11 keeps declining". Maybe Microsoft should stop putting ads in Windows 11? I like how a few pages back some people attacked me for pointing out a fake ad image. It's the children that was wrong, right guys?
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-reaches-70-market-share-as-windows-11-keeps-declining/
The image you posted is still a fake image. You were roasted because it was nonsense. In fact, that image is still fake to this very day. Some say it will still be a fake image in the future as well. Microsoft injecting diarrhea into the OS is very real. Nobody was denying that. Just don't post fake images.

Windows 11 is turning out to be a dumpster fire, and it appears to be getting worse with the advent of this garbage, data-harvesting, nightmare AI that nobody asked for. Part of the problem as well, though, was making an astronomical amount of hardware obsolete. Many computers can't even run Windows 11 because of the TPM nonsense. I've told a lot of clients if they want to use it, they'll have to upgrade their computers, but that there's no reason to because it doesn't really offer much for them. The only reason to upgrade might be for security reasons when Microsoft support for Windows 10 expires October 14th next year. Microsoft sucks and their suckiness is escalating daily. They're a garbage company run by garbage people.

Reactions: socK
like this
Windows 11 is turning out to be a dumpster fire, and it appears to be getting worse
Today I noticed a little orange dot on my user icon at the bottom of the new, ad-friendly Start blob. Moused over it, saw this:
Screenshot 2024-05-01 164157.png

So I clicked on the icon
Screenshot 2024-05-01 164205.png

Damn it.

Today I noticed a little orange dot on my user icon at the bottom of the new, ad-friendly Start blob. Moused over it, saw this:
View attachment 651310
So I clicked on the icon
View attachment 651311

Damn it.
There should be a third option that says Piss Off. I hate badge icons that I can't make go away with the fiery burning rage of a thousand dying stars.

View attachment 651310
So I clicked on the icon
View attachment 651311

Damn it.

Yeah, I forget when I first saw this in win10. It was at least earlier this year if not last fall. First time I saw it I thought there was a pending windows update or something waiting to go.

The image you posted is still a fake image. You were roasted because it was nonsense. In fact, that image is still fake to this very day. Some say it will still be a fake image in the future as well.
The image is fake but the ads are real. Microsoft had wanted to inject ads into Windows 11 and they're now doing it. It doesn't matter if the image is fake when the results are the same. Microsoft had ads in their Insider builds of Windows 11. May not be ads in file explorer now, but Microsoft found another way. The intent was there. It's not like Microsoft's heart grew three sizes and realized what they were doing. They have shareholders and want to make more money.
Windows 11 is turning out to be a dumpster fire, and it appears to be getting worse with the advent of this garbage, data-harvesting, nightmare AI that nobody asked for.
To be fair, they were doing that on Windows 10. Windows 10 was working fine for most people.
Part of the problem as well, though, was making an astronomical amount of hardware obsolete. Many computers can't even run Windows 11 because of the TPM nonsense.
That was a big mistake on their end. They can't even force people to upgrade to Windows 11 like they did with Windows 10.
I've told a lot of clients if they want to use it, they'll have to upgrade their computers, but that there's no reason to because it doesn't really offer much for them. The only reason to upgrade might be for security reasons when Microsoft support for Windows 10 expires October 14th next year. Microsoft sucks and their suckiness is escalating daily. They're a garbage company run by garbage people.
Now you know why I switched to Linux about 2 years ago. It wasn't because Linux was better but because I knew the direction Microsoft was going with Windows. People will just stick with Windows 10 for years to come, like Windows XP. The lack of security updates will be a big problem.

The image is fake but the ads are real. Microsoft had wanted to inject ads into Windows 11 and they're now doing it. It doesn't matter if the image is fake when the results are the same. Microsoft had ads in their Insider builds of Windows 11. May not be ads in file explorer now, but Microsoft found another way. The intent was there. It's not like Microsoft's heart grew three sizes and realized what they were doing. They have shareholders and want to make more money.
Yes, I get it. Microsoft sucks.

To be fair, they were doing that on Windows 10. Windows 10 was working fine for most people.
Yes, I agree.

That was a big mistake on their end. They can't even force people to upgrade to Windows 11 like they did with Windows 10.
The irony. They did this to themselves.

Now you know why I switched to Linux about 2 years ago. It wasn't because Linux was better but because I knew the direction Microsoft was going with Windows. People will just stick with Windows 10 for years to come, like Windows XP. The lack of security updates will be a big problem.
I'm about ready to just stick with my Mac for computer-related things and only game on my Switch and PS5. I'm tired of dealing with Microsoft's insane stupidity. OpenEmu for emulating classic video games is also amazing on the Mac: https://openemu.org/

"According to Statcounter, in April 2024, Windows 11 lost 0.97 points, going down from 26.68% to 25.65%. All those users seemingly went for Windows 10 since the OS, which will soon turn nine, crossed the 70% mark for the first time since September 2023, gaining 0.96 points."

"Some argue that Windows 11 still offers little to no benefits for upgrading, especially in light of Microsoft killing some of the system's unique features, such as Windows Subsystem for Android. Add to that the ever-increasing number of ads, some of which are quite shameless, and you get an operating system that has a hard time winning hearts and minds and retaining its customers."
It'll be real interesting to see the official LTSC version without that nonsense

Isn't StatCounter the one that tracks operating system usage by web traffic, tracking hits and not unique users? That isn't a reliable metric to go by for market share and never was.

Isn't StatCounter the one that tracks operating system usage by web traffic, tracking hits and not unique users? That isn't a reliable metric to go by for market share and never was.
Also most modern browsers and add blockers will block the cookies and scripts used by those sites that count them to begin with. So it’s mostly tracking users with older browsers or those not running add blockers. Worse yet depending on what sites they are monitoring what they could be reading are the browsers and operating systems used by comment farms.

Back